Player ratings vs burton

Oufc28

Mitchell - 6 - shocking distribution in the first half put us constantly on the back foot. Better in the second half. Can't remember him making a save.

Ruffels - 7 - steady performance but in all truth was barely tested. Seem to have a number on sordell in first half.

Norman - 8 - what an athlete! Great defensively and full of energy. One rash tackle but linked superbly with whyte.

Nelson -7 - much better performance from the captain. Looked much more assured than recently. Played well on the floor

Mousinho - 8 - outstanding performance against his old club. Should real commitment to the cause and his reading of the game was so impressive.

Hanson - 7- If he keeps these performances up will be a real player for us. Some great tackles and reading of the play. Showed real fight.

Brannagan - 7 - what I'd expect of a player of his quality. Much better passing and was a nuisance in midfield. Worked well with with hanson

Browne - 7- the lad has quality and does some real quality things on the ball. Just needs to use his head a little more and make his final pass better.

Whyte - 8 - This lad could be quality, his speed is scary and his first touch and close control is second to none. Has a fantastic engine.

Henry - 9- my MOTM. Everything we do that is good either comes from him or goes through him. He is a vital cog in our machine. Has such class and composure. 1st name on the team sheet. Lovely goal.

Smith - 7 - works so so hard and shows some touches of class. Had some very unlucky decisions against him and was rightly subbed for protection. Would love to see him score.

Subs.

Holmes - 7- great energy and showed class in his cameo. Calm and clever finish.

Mackie - 7 - maybe this is his game, coming on as a sub and using his experience to slow things down and settle everyone.

I thought that Whyte and Browne were outstanding on Tuesday.
Whyte was even better today as was Henry and Norman.
Whyte and Norman could be very good signings and Brownes attitude and performances are so much better than those Man City players last season.

I know it still very early but, I think we need to enjoy Whyte while we can. Looks a real prospect. Michael O’neil Has already said he is close to the full NI squad. Only 22 as well.

I had a bit of a problem with Mitchell today. He didn't dominate his box at all - it was as if he was waiting for the ball rather than going to claim it. He also had a couple of moments when he should definitely have rushed forwards to clear the danger and didn't and Mousinho's header that went for a corner (which lead to their goal) seemed to be a bit of a mix up between the two of them - the keeper should have called for it. If he did, then I didn't hear it. I don't entirely buy Robinson's post-match 'explanation' of his wayward kicking either.

Not sure I should be saying this - with Eastwood in goal and maybe a new left back and we could have a top starting 11.

Was a very enjoyable game - great atmosphere in the Mail ( the lad not a bad drummer ) whats to complain about

Maybe my morning headache after a few celebratory drinks last night

Onward and upwards I say and now looking forward to the long weekend in Newcastle for the Sunderland game ( I hear half of Oxford will be there )

I had a bit of a problem with Mitchell today. He didn't dominate his box at all - it was as if he was waiting for the ball rather than going to claim it. He also had a couple of moments when he should definitely have rushed forwards to clear the danger and didn't and Mousinho's header that went for a corner (which lead to their goal) seemed to be a bit of a mix up between the two of them - the keeper should have called for it. If he did, then I didn't hear it. I don't entirely buy Robinson's post-match 'explanation' of his wayward kicking either.

Aside from the frankly embarrassing harassment of Mitchell for his kicking, I completely agree with KR about his distribution.

The wind was against us in the first half and Burton were a big strong team who excel from playing direct and getting the ball forward quickly. OK, so we conceded a number of throw-ins but they were 60 yards up the pitch and in the neutral territory.

Our idiot fans who cheered Mitchell when he kicked one straight down the middle towards the end of the half will no doubt be tactically astute enough to realise that their centre-back sent a booming header straight back down the middle of the defence and put us completely on the back-foot.

We’ve lost possibly our best and most consistent performer in Eastwood. The club has bought in an excellent replacement because our other options were too old and too inexperienced. Please get behind him as he’s doing a good job and really deserves our support to further boost his confidence and performances.

Mitchell 6-Distribution poor, didn't like the cheering when he finally kicked straight, but he did well with the ball at his feet. Can't remember him having to make a save
Norman 8- A breath of fresh air,Good defensively and a real threat going forward. Mcmahon going to have step massively to get his shirt back.
Nelson 7-Shaky first half, couple of needless touches put us in danger, but second half WOW,that is the Nelson we witnessed in 16/17, stepped up massively at the back.
Mousinho 8- Solid, he needs to play if we're going to play out from the back. Decent on the ball,Not sure if he got a touch for his goal. No Nonsense aswell refreshing for a CB to just put it out of play instead of being cute on the ball.
Ruffels 7-Solid had Sordell's number, great link up play with Browne and comfortable on the ball.
Hanson 7- Allowed Brannagan more freedom, broke up the play really well.
Brannagan 8- What a player! dominated the midfield, one we will struggle to keep if he keeps this up, clubs will be sniffing within next year.
Whyte 8- What a find, direct and fearless. He may not be hear after this season, especially if he gets called up to the Northern Ireland first team.
Henry 9- The heartbeat of the squad, simple as that.
Browne 7- Has something we've missed since Maguire left, a superb delivery from set pieces, got pace to burn and great feet.
Smith 7- Worked hard upfront and closed down well against 3 CB'S and kept them on the toes.

Holmes 8- WOW this man is easily one of the best in the division and he's only trained twice since signing. Imagine what he can do when he's fully fit and training everyday.
Mackie 7- Better uptop then outwide, worked hard and put himself about

Mitchell 6: Poor kicking, but confident on the ball even with the stick.
Norman 8: What a find, constant threat and good defensively, rapid for such a big bloke.
Nelson 7: Much better, looks more comfortable alongside Mous
Mous 7: He’s class leads the back line so well, brings calmness
Ruffels 7: Said it before, much better Left back than he is a centre mid.
Brannagan 7: Hassled, Harried and did well. Good endeavour just needs a touch more end product
Hanson 8: Never 6ft3, but he brings that presence and nastiness we needed. Quality signing was very impressed
Whyte 9: Wow.
Henry 8.5: Quality player, some of the things he was pulling off in the second half had me questioning myself, quality.
Browne 9: See Whyte.
Smith 7: Lovely to see a striker actually pressure the back line and challenge for headers.

Holmes 7: What a man.
Mackie 6: Did his job well

Robbo 9: Finally come off for him, and it’s looked very good. Bet he can’t wait for Carruthers to come back, our options would look ridiculous across the front 4

Back
Top Bottom