Player Ratings - Sunderland Away 3rd Aug 2019

psquared

I used to like reading people's opinions on the team, so would anyone who went like to start us off?

Eastwood 7 - Did everything he needed to but wasn't tested all that much. No chance with the pen.
Cadden 8 - Looked solid in possession, offered support down the right and made some crucial interceptions.
Dickie 8 - Very strong game, positionally sound showed composure on the ball and wasn't wasteful when playing out from the back.
Mousinho 7 - Solid game, good in the air and led by example.
Ruffels 6 - Made the ref make a decision with a risky challenge. Bit wasteful in possession with balls up the line drifting out of play, but occasional bright moments.
Henry 6 - Promising going forward, quick feet and retained possession, but limited tracking meant we were often overlapped down our right.
Gorrin 7 - Worked tirelessly, making himself available out of defence and applying pressure. Few tired looking challenges towards the end.
Brannagan 7 - Always made himself available, bright on the ball and retained possession well.
Fosu 6 - Took his chance and drew a large number of fouls in a bright first half. Faded badly as the game wore on.
Woodburn 6 - Showed some clever touches and bright play. Like Fosu drifted out of the game as it went on.
Mackie 6 - Worked incredibly hard for the team being a constant menace, but quality was lacking at crucial points.

Hanson, Hall, Moore - Little time to make an impression.

Probably a tad harsh on the front three, maybe worth 6.5's!

Eastwood 7

Cadden 7.5
Dickie 9
Mousinho 7.5
Ruffels 7

Gorrin 7
Brannagan 7

Henry 7
Woodburn 7
Fosu 7

Mackie 7

Woodburn & Fosu would of got higher but wasn’t that effective 2nd half as first half them 2 were excellent

Dickie imo best game I’ve seen him play

Unbelievable marking. So Mous and a number of others were better than Dickie? Really?
I wasn't there (so can't comment directly) but I often find 'opposition' ratings of our players really interesting. I can't help thinking that we know the players so well (eventually) that our marks are somewhat coloured by that and their past performances: for example a small defensive slip by Mous might be ignored by them as insignificant, but we'll probably have our hearts in our mouths! That's not to say that the marks given by someone without that much knowledge/interest are any more accurate of course, but it is food for thought at the very least...

Eastwood - 6 Didn't have an awful lot to do so can't really score him too highly. Didn't do anything wrong though.

Cadden - 7 As KR promised he had a good engine and put a few decent balls into the box. I think as he grows into the role he'll become a key player

Dickie - 9 MOTM clearances, blocks, tackles, calm on the ball. Almost perfect CB performance

Mousinho - 8 Looked very comfortable alongside Dickie

Ruffels - 6 Did quite well defensively but offered little going forward and dived in needlessly for their penalty

Brannagan - 8 Played several defence-splitting passes and worked very hard

Gorrin - 6.5 Protected the back four well but I'd like to see him look to pass forwards more often

Henry - 6.5 Some nice link up play at times but his lack of pace really restricts the impact he can have on the game when played out wide

Woodburn - 7 Looks a very tidy footballer with excellent control. Seemed to tire quite early but think he'll be a very useful player

Fosu - 6.5 For the first thirty minutes he looked very dangerous and his direct style troubled their defence. After that he was a bit anonymous. Glad he got the goal though as I think when playing with full confidence he'll cause lots of teams problems at this level

Mackie - 6.5 Typical Mackie performance. Worked incredibly hard and occupied their CBS but never really looks like a goal threat. Really could do with some backup.

On the whole I thought it was a good team performance. Every player worked hard and there was a cohesiveness to our play. It's glaringly obvious that we're missing pace and I hope that we address it before the Peterborough match. Like others have said, we could push for play offs if the right additions are made.

Last edited:
interesting hearing the praise given to the Dickster, sounds like he’s done really well swapping over to the right and with Moore naturally a left sided player hopefully we’ll be solid in defence.
this should mean i can enjoy the home games without the muppet near me constantly shouting abuse at Dickie

That’s the best I’ve seen Dickie play!! Won every header, scored a goal (shouldn’t have been disallowed IMO), calm on the ball, great with possession, looked the real deal...
Cant tou play him down a bit ...or next thing hel be sold lol

interesting hearing the praise given to the Dickster, sounds like he’s done really well swapping over to the right and with Moore naturally a left sided player hopefully we’ll be solid in defence.
this should mean i can enjoy the home games without the muppet near me constantly shouting abuse at Dickie
If it's anything like the muppets I sit near, then you're really asking an awful lot of them to take someone's performance into account before shouting abuse! Last year I had someone telling the world how s**t Garbutt was and how Ruffels should replace him when Ruffels had actually replaced him for the last 4 games!!!!

Eastwood - 8 - made one vital save in the first half. Noticeable improvement in kicking. Controlled the area well apart from flapping at one corner.

Cadden - 7 - went forward well and defended well. Got beaten on the outside a couple of times.

Dickie - 9 - immense performance. Won everything in the air and brought the ball out well. Loved the turn through the Sunderland player's legs!

Mousinho - 8.5 - excellent with Dickie. Led the line and team well.

Ruffles - 7 - solid performance. Got forward well. Caught out of position and few times. Needless tackle for the penalty (even though he won the ball)

Gorrin - 7.5 - added bite in midfield and kept the ball moving. Will form a great partnership with Brannaghan (when they aren't suspended!)

Brannaghan - 9 - everything we do comes from him. Pressing, tackling, passing. Should be captain. Best player at Oxford. MOTM

Fosu - 8 - quick and direct. Caused problems, problems for Sunderland particularly in the first half. Tired towards the end. First touch needs to improve a little bit.

Henry - 7.5 - solid performance. Moved the ball well and linked with Woodburn brilliantly at times. Lack of pace slows attacks down.

Woodburn - 7.5 - good debut. Some lovely touches and great ball for the goal. Tired in the second half

Mackie - 7.5 - such a pest. Ran his socks off in the first half and caused defenders problems. Tired after 60 mins and should have been subbed off, but we didn't have a second striker.

Hall - 6.5 - came in when defending. Seems to have lost a yard of pace. Could have done better with his chance.

Hanson - 7 - solidified the midfield and helped us see the game out.

Moore - not enough time to judge.

Hanson sounds like he had a good game when he came on (listening on radio and reading the above)
good enough to cover the inevitable suspension of Gorrin, although hopefully KR can tame him a little.
and Mous can cover there so other than the strikers we appear to be well stocked in all areas

Dickie MOTM by a long way - superb performance, he’s obviously a right-sider or ‘wrong-side London Road’.

Hanson sounds like he had a good game when he came on (listening on radio and reading the above)
good enough to cover the inevitable suspension of Gorrin, although hopefully KR can tame him a little.
and Mous can cover there so other than the strikers we appear to be well stocked in all areas

Thought he looked good when he came on.

Don’t know if it’s been touched on anywhere else, but I thought it was a poor/strange move to take the number 6 off him this season and give it to Gorrin.

He clearly didn’t settle or play to his potential last season and he seemed low on confidence. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it seems odd to publicly emphaise that he is a back up option and further dent his confidence.

I very much doubt Gorrin came in demanding the number 6 shirt.

Thought he looked good when he came on.

Don’t know if it’s been touched on anywhere else, but I thought it was a poor/strange move to take the number 6 off him this season and give it to Gorrin.

He clearly didn’t settle or play to his potential last season and he seemed low on confidence. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it seems odd to publicly emphaise that he is a back up option and further dent his confidence.

I very much doubt Gorrin came in demanding the number 6 shirt.

Gordon didn't demand, but,apparently did ask for the number 6

Back
Top Bottom