General Player ratings - Burton Home 20th August 2019

IsleofWightYellow

Eastwood: 6 - Made a couple of saves, couldn't really see if he could have done more with their goals, don't think so. Distribution looked quite good and his kicking was better than his opposite number

Cadden: 7.5 - Probably my MOTM, he got forward well and looked full of running all night. Annoyingly the players didn't seem to want to find him quickly enough at times but he was a constant outlet. Could maybe swing an early ball in more often.

Dickie: 6 - Not the dominant assured player we've seen start the season, brought the ball forward very well at times but was lacking a final ball, either shot wildly over or gave the ball away mainly.

Mousinho: 5 - On this showing Moore will start sooner rather than later, he looked ponderous and uncertain on the ball.

Ruffels: 6 - I thought he was ok, without being great.

Henry: 5 - He doesn't have enough pace to play out wide for me. Repeatedly failed to track his runner or didn't have enough pace to get back with him.

Brannigan: 7 - He tried hard and took his goal well. Not one of his better games but harsh to lay the blame on him. Chasing shadows in the midfield at times.

Gorrin: 4 - I thought he was poor, gave the ball away, passed it too slowly or backwards. He sat deep which helped us at times, that's the only real positive I could see. When I thought back to Kashi's energy and quick passing it seemed a real downgrade.

Forde: 7 - I actually liked him more than I did against Peterborough, he seemed fitter and was neat and tidy, did very well for his goal and also a great pass to pick out Brannigan for his goal. I'd be happy to see him get some more games, but he doesn't have the pace of a Whyte or a Browne to really get people excited and off their seats, or terrify opposition defences.

Woodburn: 5 - What did he do? Drift around, not really get involved. He didn't seem like he was bothering at times. Slightly odd performance

Taylor: 7 - I was impressed with how hard he worked, laboured manfully up front and ploughed a lone furrow. Didn't seem to be a player with a big ego coming here expecting to score goals, was willing to put in the hard yards and close people down. He also held the ball up well and laid it off nicely - should have been given a couple of fouls by the referee. He was just unlucky that we basically created no chances for him. Definitely an upgrade on Mackie.

Subs:

Fosu: 5 - Didn't really do anything of note
Mackie: 5 - He gives away silly fouls sometimes, not someone you'd especially be delighted to see come on when chasing the game
Hall: 4 - He had the ball wide right a number of times but couldn't seem to do anything with it.

Just about what I thought Hampshire. I hope Mous is replaced at Rovers but feel sure Woodburn will come good - he just needs a couple of goals.

Eastwood: 7 - He made a couple of very good saves, not sure there was anything much he could do about the goals.

Cadden: 6 - As an attacking full back, I though he had a decent game as an attacker and a poor one as a full back. Much of the successful Burton pressure was down our right. See also Henry.

Dickie: 7 - I though he was fine. His pass through for the second goal was my champagne moment of the night (for those in yellow!).

Mousinho: 6 - He's not quick, and with them playing the ball over the top he looked exposed. There were a a couple of 'Mous moments' but to be fair they came to nothing.

Ruffels: 7 - Again - steady. Got forward well, defended better than his counterpart on the other side of the pitch.

Henry: 5 - If he is going to play in front of Cadden then he simply has to be aware that Cadden is going to be much further forward a lot of the time than Long or Hanson would be if playing right back and has to track back accordingly. He also wasn't that effective in attack. Is he really a wide player?

Gorrin: 5 - As a defensive midfielder, I think I'd prefer Mousinho. Gorrin is very rash in the tackle and goes to ground far too easily. The whole midfield were too far away from their men all night. His passing was erratic and he didn't give us the stable platform in front of the defence.

Brannagan: 6 - He's got to curb his temper, could easily have been sent off for that off the ball challenge. Another ref and he'd have been walking. I think he is actually our best player, but he wasn't last night.

Forde: 7 - better than I expected. Took his goal well and looked neat and tidy. Little pace though (a recurring problem throughout the team, not just him)

Woodburn: 5 - At the moment, I just don't get the hype. Looks like a lad adjusting to the senior game. Not that aware of his team mates around him. Hopefully will develop quickly - if not, then we need to change who plays as the 10

Taylor: 6.5 - He didn't touch the ball for the first five minutes as we were so far on the back foot! When he did get it he was OK, didn't look quite fit and wasn't really given the ammunition.

Subs: None of them made any positive difference at all. Neither Fosu nor Hall can go past a player on that evidence, both kept going sideways across goal. Mackie doesn't look like he'll change a game if brought on as a late sub.

Last edited:
Would generally agree with those marks - Gorrin and Woodburn were very disappointing. Agree Brannagan was foolish to seek out their player for some 'afters'. Would give Henry a 7 though - was neater and found a yellow player more often than some.

Just about what I thought Hampshire. I hope Mous is replaced at Rovers but feel sure Woodburn will come good - he just needs a couple of goals.
According to Nick Harris, Woodburn scored last night.

Eastwood: 5 - Conceded 4 but not sure he could have done much about any of them. Appears to have put on weight/bulked up to me? Feet don’t seem to move as quick.

Cadden: 7 - Looks a very good footballer to me. Was underused last night going forward and kept the lad on loan From Everton pretty quiet. Could work on final delivery.

Dickie: 6.5 - Not as commanding as previous games. Looked good on the ball and played some nice passes. Proper battle all night with Liam Boyce.

Mousinho: 4.5 - I like Moose and think he has done well so far this season, however last night he was poor. His man scored the header for the first goal. Akins outpaced and outmuscled him several times. Time for Moore to start.

Ruffles: 4.5 - Worst game I’ve seen him have in a while. Akins was to strong and powerful for him all night. Numerous times on the ball as well when he had time to play he ball infield but just clipped it forward towards Taylor who was never going to win the headers.

Gorrin: 5 - I actually thought he did ok. Won several balls and pinched it back a few times. He looked leggy second half and gave a few sloppy passers away granted. Burton clearly targeted him with the press.

Brannagan: 8 - Enjoy him while you can is all I will say. He’s at least a championship player and won’t be here for long. Scored his 3rd if the season already and looked a cut above.

Henry: 6.5 - Moments where he shows his quality. Looked most likely of the 3 behind Taylor to make something happen. Calls for him to be dropped are laughable. Been one of our best players so far this season.

Woodburn: 6 - Frustrated again. The talent is clearly there to see, he just goes missing for too long. He didn’t show enough for the ball for me on the number 10 role, was much better Saturday coming in off the flank. A goal will do him to world of good.

Forde: 6 - Did OK. Clearly got some technicin ability and took his goal very well. Not enough pace/threat from the left last night between him and Ruffels. Not sure he can play in the same side as Henry if they’re both on the wings.

Taylor: 6 - Worked hard and showed flashes of quality. No real clear cut chances apart form the one in the first half that he tried to dink over the keeper. Was left isolated and fighting against giants in the air most of the night. Another who I think would benefit from 4-3-3.

SUBS

Mackie: 5 - No real impact either way.

Hall: 4 - Looked off the pace and wasteful. Think he should be given time out of the squad to get match sharpness.

Fosu: 5 - Didn’t really ever get in the game. Missed his pace from the start though.

Eastwood: 5 - Conceded 4 but not sure he could have done much about any of them. Appears to have put on weight/bulked up to me? Feet don’t seem to move as quick.

Cadden: 7 - Looks a very good footballer to me. Was underused last night going forward and kept the lad on loan From Everton pretty quiet. Could work on final delivery.

Dickie: 6.5 - Not as commanding as previous games. Looked good on the ball and played some nice passes. Proper battle all night with Liam Boyce.

Mousinho: 4.5 - I like Moose and think he has done well so far this season, however last night he was poor. His man scored the header for the first goal. Akins outpaced and outmuscled him several times. Time for Moore to start.

Ruffles: 4.5 - Worst game I’ve seen him have in a while. Akins was to strong and powerful for him all night. Numerous times on the ball as well when he had time to play he ball infield but just clipped it forward towards Taylor who was never going to win the headers.

Gorrin: 5 - I actually thought he did ok. Won several balls and pinched it back a few times. He looked leggy second half and gave a few sloppy passers away granted. Burton clearly targeted him with the press.

Brannagan: 8 - Enjoy him while you can is all I will say. He’s at least a championship player and won’t be here for long. Scored his 3rd if the season already and looked a cut above.

Henry: 6.5 - Moments where he shows his quality. Looked most likely of the 3 behind Taylor to make something happen. Calls for him to be dropped are laughable. Been one of our best players so far this season.

Woodburn: 6 - Frustrated again. The talent is clearly there to see, he just goes missing for too long. He didn’t show enough for the ball for me on the number 10 role, was much better Saturday coming in off the flank. A goal will do him to world of good.

Forde: 6 - Did OK. Clearly got some technicin ability and took his goal very well. Not enough pace/threat from the left last night between him and Ruffels. Not sure he can play in the same side as Henry if they’re both on the wings.

Taylor: 6 - Worked hard and showed flashes of quality. No real clear cut chances apart form the one in the first half that he tried to dink over the keeper. Was left isolated and fighting against giants in the air most of the night. Another who I think would benefit from 4-3-3.

SUBS

Hall: 4 - Looked off the pace and wasteful. Think he should be given time out of the squad to get match sharpness.

Fosu: 5 - Didn’t really ever get in the game. Missed his pace from the start though.
Thanks - interesting.

Agree with nearly all of that

If Henry and Woodburn both in the team, they may be better swapping positions? A bit like Chris Maguire - Woodburn looks like a natural No. 10 but actually may get more space and joy coming in off a wide position.

As said elsewhere, I would really like Cadden to cross first time more often. Makes it easier for people in the box to time their runs.

(There seems to be an obsession these days - perhaps based on the way premiership sides play - that if a player is put into a good crossing position, their first instinct is to turn inside and look for a pass back to a centre back! I'm all for possession football, but if you're not Liverpool or Man City creating loads of chances, then it seems daft not get decent crosses into the box as often as possible. Rant over.)

Gorrin maybe carrying an injury which maybe why he came out early to do some sort of test with Short. Looked wary of getting a booking even before he got one. Can see why Robinson wanted Thorne. But I still rate Gorrin as important member of the squad.

When/if everyone fit we look strong.

TBH Id award most who played last night 4.5 each ... there were flashed of decent football at times, that apart defense was bullied & caught out of possession- midfield dominated by Burton most of the match, couldnt find a yellow shirt with the majority of attempted passes , (which were/appeared to be hit n hope) ... little in the way of decent service to Taylor , he aint gonna win long/high balls

Burton were the better side all round...fitter, faster, and played as a team, a complete unit, when they had the ball, and when they didnt

hoping lots of lessons were learnt last night.... and a few first team squad players were found to be lacking IMO

Id bring Moore in and Sykes for Saturday, in place of Mousinho & Hall
Gorrin for me has a question mark hanging over him... maybe stick, or maybe twist with Hanson in place of him?

SUBS

Thanks - interesting.

Agree with nearly all of that

If Henry and Woodburn both in the team, they may be better swapping positions? A bit like Chris Maguire - Woodburn looks like a natural No. 10 but actually may get more space and joy coming in off a wide position.

As said elsewhere, I would really like Cadden to cross first time more often. Makes it easier for people in the box to time their runs.

(There seems to be an obsession these days - perhaps based on the way premiership sides play - that if a player is put into a good crossing position, their first instinct is to turn inside and look for a pass back to a centre back! I'm all for possession football, but if you're not Liverpool or Man City creating loads of chances, then it seems daft not get decent crosses into the box as often as possible. Rant over.)

Gorrin maybe carrying an injury which maybe why he came out early to do some sort of test with Short. Looked wary of getting a booking even before he got one. Can see why Robinson wanted Thorne. But I still rate Gorrin as important member of the squad.

When/if everyone fit we look strong.
Pretty much agree with those marks too.

I thought Eastwood had quite a poor game. Should have done better in keeping the ball for their second, and his kicking was quite erratic.

Ruffels was completely outplayed by Akins, who I thought looked outstanding and just the type of player we could do with out wide (hopefully Agyei will be similar).

Mous needs to be moved out of CB immediately, and I was surprised Moore didn't start last night.

Woodburn just didn't do enough for me.... At present I'd rather have Sykes playing there... Or in the squad at a minimum!

Taylor showed enough to indicate he will be decent for us.

As others have said playing two slow players (Henry and Forde) in the wide positions doesn't work. It just makes most of our build up play too slow.

Hall, sad to say, shouldn't be in the squad. He hasn't taken on one player on the outside in the two games I've seen him play.

I don't think anyone was terrible yesterday, I just think there was a lot of below par performances, meaning that as a team, we were never able to stamp our authority on the game, which like Bazzer said, can happen to any team, at any time.

I think Woodburn had his moments, but faded quite drastically in the 2nd half, and Gorrin did some ok work, but was overrun in the 2nd half, once he started to tire, due to whatever injury was troubling him (hopefully nothing too serious)

It's been a long, hard pre season for the players, and a pretty hectic start to the season, and maybe a few games on the bench would do them both good, and give some fresh legs a chance.

Mous was at fault for Blackpools first goal on Saturday, and after his below par performance last night, it looks like it might be time for Moore to finally get his chance on Saturday.

Taylor made some good runs, and we all know what a good goalscorer he is, but I feel he needs to play in a 4-3-3 to really get the best out of him, as he's not the biggest, so to play him up top on his own, against two centre backs, with his back to goal, leaves him isolated, and ineffective.

Forde provided a great pass/cross for Brannagans goal, and took his goal very well, and provided a good cross for Taylor in the first half, but not much else, but looks a good player, who will be important to us this season.

I thought Henry used the ball very well in the first half, with one lovely chipped pass down the line for Cadden particularly good, and an outstanding ball from out wide over the top of the centre backs for Woodburn to run onto, but like the rest of the team, faded in the 2nd half, but certainly did enough to keep his place on Saturday.

Brannagan was excellent again, and took his goal well, and I think he's going to receive a lot of attention on this form, and we'll be lucky to keep him beyond this season.

Dickie was solid enough, and brought the ball out of defence well, but on a few occasions looked in danger of losing the ball, and was a bit indecisive at times when releasing it.

Cadden was very good in parts, defensively ok, and gets forward well, but as others have said, needs to get his crosses off quicker, but links up well with Henry, and does have a great engine, will be missed when/if he leaves in January.

Ruffels struggled, and looked out of his depth at times, but he's performed consistently well for such a long time, that he deserves to be given a break on this occasion, but must improve on Saturday.

Eastwood needs to improve his kicking, and doesn't seem to be performing as well as we've come to expect from him, but by far the best keeper we've had for years, and performed so well for so long, that like Ruffs, deserves to be given a break.

Sadly, I think Rob Halls days as a professional footballer may be numbered, he's so off the pace it's scary, and doesn't even look like he's got any muscle definition in his legs, let alone any match fitness, and seems overweight, and should be left out the squad, and maybe given a season with the U23's to see if he can get his fitness back, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not holding out much hope for the poor fella.

But it's just one game, it wasn't awful, and it's not the end of the world, and when Baptiste and Thorne are back fully match fit, and Fosu gets back up to speed, with the addition of Taylor to the squad, and having more time to settle in, there's still a lot of reasons to be optimistic this season.

Bring on Rovers!

Back
Top Bottom