General Player Contracts

A lot will depend on what league we're in. Ciaron Brown for example would be one I'd take for another shot at league one but hasn't shown enough to suggest a regular run in a Championship side. Jordan Thorniley on the other hand has been performing well for Blackpool and would be someone I'd look to get no matter where we ended up.

It's the same with Sykes. He's been offered a deal but turned it down and there's no way he'll sign in the summer if we don't go up.

Williams, Bodin, Holland and Whyte. All have had their moments in league one, but I'm not convinced that they'd do enough in the Championship.

Hanson and Winnall will go, no issues there. Baldock will almost certainly sign and I'd expect Gorrin to sign an extension. I'd also expect Moore and Brannagan to be offered new deals and we'll go all out to get Herbie Kane. A valuation of around £600k was put on Kane last summer before a loan deal was agreed. At that price I'd definitely look at securing him on a long contract. He is class above at this level and someone you could build a team around if we go up.

Some very reactionary opinions here.

Brown has proven to be a good loan signing. He’s decent enough but McNally has shown we can sign exceptional players. Just because we’ve seen him for a few games, it doesn’t we have to go for him. I’d be cautious about jumping straight in as in the central defence department, we’ve found some incredible players. In terms of ability Brown is behind Dickie, Atkinson, Moore and McNally in ability.

I too would be cautious over Baldock. Ability wise I have no issue. Getting enough minutes out of him, I do. He has had injury worries and with Marcus Browne we could have two quite pricy but fragile players in the building. I said in the Plymouth thread we cannot keep carrying passengers who we are waiting to come good or get up to speed. I fear Baldock would end up being a Winnall style gamble.

Last edited:
Williams mentioned above - I think he has another year on his contract, doesn't he?

I think that we should aim at better than Brown

Depends what league we're in I suppose. Him, Moore and Mcnally with Long as back up centre back for the 2 Centre back positions is good enough for league 1. What we need is another left back and another right back that are on par or better than Seddon and Long. Forde, Williams and Sykes aren't the answer.

I think we have to start assuming (from a contract point of view) we're not going up. Probably no better than 50-50 at reaching the play-offs, and then it's probably a less than 25% chance (other sides seem stronger on paper), so I'd rather we started tying down some players rather than leave it too late.

I think we have to start assuming (from a contract point of view) we're not going up. Probably no better than 50-50 at reaching the play-offs, and then it's probably a less than 25% chance (other sides seem stronger on paper), so I'd rather we started tying down some players rather than leave it too late.

We've tied down Forde but I'm not sure why when he hardly features. As for others, most wouldn't sign now as If we go up they can demand a higher wage.

Depends what league we are in

If we stay in League 1 the likelihood is a massive rebuild anyway come the summer with clubs being interested in our key assets: Stevens, Moore, McNally, Brannagan & then Sykes leaving on a free (then all 5 will need replacing with the same sort of quality) Kane as well will go back to Barnsley unless we get a deal done but not holding much hope unless we go up, Baldock I think will stay along with Bodin, then get rid of the dead wood in Winnall Hanson & wouldn’t bother looking to signing Ciaron Brown Nathan Holland or Gavin Whyte who constantly keeps costing us points by not taking his dozen clear cut chances he’s missed this season, look to transfer list Seddon simply not good enough, 50/50 on whether Gorrin wants to stay

It would be a massive rebuild if we got into the championship anyway as only 7/8 players would be classed good enough currently from this squad to play in that division

I thought James Henry's contract was also up at the end of the season - or have I missed something ?

Think you could be right. Was arguably our best player for the first half of the season, without him we wouldn't of beat sheff Wednesday away or Doncaster away. I would see what he does in the next 6 games before deciding on his future.

Think you could be right. Was arguably our best player for the first half of the season, without him we wouldn't of beat sheff Wednesday away or Doncaster away. I would see what he does in the next 6 games before deciding on his future.
Been one of our best players since he arrived in my view - only issue really is his fitness but I for one would very much hope he is given at least one more season

We've tied down Forde but I'm not sure why when he hardly features.
I have to say that us extending his contract does puzzle me as well. Now I think he is quite a handy player, but given that we have had shortages all across the back and in defensive midfield with him making hardly any appearances I thought the club didn't agree with me. But we have signed him up. I am just wondering in what circumstances he *would* play a significant role?

As long as someone is very strict with KR on getting the squad balance right in the summer, I don’t believe he has yet managed to get the right squad together for a whole season (which is his Achilles heel)

A valuation of around £600k was put on Kane last summer before a loan deal was agreed. At that price I'd definitely look at securing him on a long contract. He is class above at this level and someone you could build a team around if we go up.

Honestly, that sounds that a lot to me. That's twice what MK Dons ended up paying for Scott Twine, who's arguably the best player in the league.

I think Herbie is a good player, but he's not scored for us and has, I think, six assists on the season? Not convinced it's worth forking out north of half a million for him when there's going to be a bunch of other good players available for nowt in the summer.

Honestly, that sounds that a lot to me. That's twice what MK Dons ended up paying for Scott Twine, who's arguably the best player in the league.

I think Herbie is a good player, but he's not scored for us and has, I think, six assists on the season? Not convinced it's worth forking out north of half a million for him when there's going to be a bunch of other good players available for nowt in the summer.
of course the sort of reverse of that is that Matty Taylor and others have stated that some of Herbie's passing has been too good for them.

I wont comment on who may or may not be available as alternatives as my feelings on seasonal turnover of players is well documented.

Back
Top Bottom