Home Match Day Thread PJ Trophy: OUFC v Tottenham Hotspur U21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Mousinho performed well after two months without a game.

Johnson let the game pass him by in the first half and only came to life in the final 20 minutes.Missed opportunity after being bigged
up by a bullish Robbo pre-match.

Bodin again frustrated me and missed a couple of glorious chances.
Did not enjoy watching Hanson at left back - the experiment did not work last season and it was horrifying to
view Clarke turning him inside out.

Agyei appears still not to understand the role of a central striker and appears to be uncoachable and McNally
lacks awareness but believe he can improve with coaching from Short and Mous.

Some real flashes of quality from McGuane. Did he do enough to knock on the Gaffer’s door, though?

Doesn't allow much ot an assessment of individuals, other than two good strikes and good application from Cooper, a cracker from Gorrin, and two very clumsy challenges from McNally, though what ive seen of him live he is better than that.

Oh, and a proper Ronnie Rosenthal from one of theirs

Why do you think people aren’t interested?

They’ve historically had almost no coverage and they’re already getting enormous crowds at their cup finals and the marquee games.

If you remove the physiological advantage that is an accident of birth then I’d suggest the overall quality isn’t too far different.
Not for both sides on the pitch it isn’t; certainly going by the joke pub league scores on offer last night.

That is bang out of order re Agyei. During the few minutes I watched he put in a couple of excellent crosses both of which should have led to goals,created a couple of chances himself he could and should have put away,and held the ball up and got decent passes away. You need to remember he has been given zero votes of confidence by Karl and had very little game time. He worked his socks off to play the full 90 minutes. Until January he is the main back up to Matty and should have our support not moaning.

The few minutes you watched, Ageyi did some good stuff eh. He needs to do it for 90 mins game after game. The zero votes of confidence are because Ageyi has not improved at all in his time here which means he is unable to take on board what the coaches are saying to him. He’s had enough chances, unfortunately we need to make a tough decision and let him go. It will be better for him to to go somewhere at a lower level he might play more

He needs to do it for 90 mins game after game. The zero votes of confidence are because Ageyi has not improved at all in his time here which means he is unable to take on board what the coaches are saying to him. He’s had enough chances, unfortunately we need to make a tough decision and let him go. It will be better for him to to go somewhere at a lower level he might play more
He doesn’t get 90 minutes game after game though so it’s impossible for him to do so? If by enough chances then you mean a few 3 minute sub appearances and some starts in the PJ Trophy (in which he scored) then yeah he’s had enough chances.

We should also get rid of Bodin and McNally - the latter has been sent off twice now, he doesn’t learn

He doesn’t get 90 minutes game after game though so it’s impossible for him to do so? If by enough chances then you mean a few 3 minute sub appearances and some starts in the PJ Trophy (in which he scored) then yeah he’s had enough chances.

We should also get rid of Bodin and McNally - the latter has been sent off twice now, he doesn’t learn

What a strange comparison

We should also get rid of Bodin and McNally - the latter has been sent off twice now, he doesn’t lelearn
McNally? Are you serious?
For a young guy in his first season of decent level football he has done really well.
He has played quite a few first team games and has been excellent (I haven't seen the less important JPT games)
You would seriously get rid of McNally?

I believe that he has started 25 games for Oxford in various competitions ( 12 in the league) in his time at Oxford.

The trouble this season is that Taylor is streets ahead of Agyei. I think that we need far better back up for Taylor than Agyei and Winnall.

That is bang out of order re Agyei. During the few minutes I watched he put in a couple of excellent crosses both of which should have led to goals,created a couple of chances himself he could and should have put away,and held the ball up and got decent passes away. You need to remember he has been given zero votes of confidence by Karl and had very little game time. He worked his socks off to play the full 90 minutes. Until January he is the main back up to Matty and should have our support not moaning.
I’m afraid you’ve unintentionally summed up exactly why he is below grade. Firstly, I think people need to get away from this view that players have a divine right to start games for an ‘opportunity’… You earn that and in the league particularly, if you want to compete, you need your best team out. So something is amiss in training or with his attitude.

But when he plays - you say it yourself everything is in flashes, he comes and goes in games, creates chances for himself but nobody else and then could and should have scored etc… KR has given him plenty of restricted opportunities to impress and the bulk of his starts have come against very weak opponents where he didn’t stand out… at least not for the right reasons! OK, coming on for a minute or two is hard to impress but in some games he’s had 10/20/30 mins and he’s delivered precious little against teams who are tiring and he should be in his element.

Edit; if we are to take this ‘nothing to lose by playing him’ approach, I think our time is far better off spent on O’Donkor who looks a cracking talent when I’ve seen him.

Last edited:
Not for both sides on the pitch it isn’t; certainly going by the joke pub league scores on offer last night.
As per the men’s game some sides are better than others.

England are one of the worlds best. Latvia are not. It happens in the men’s game too

Attachments

• 2C881C21-E52E-4C54-8CDD-D4496E324F88.jpeg
    2C881C21-E52E-4C54-8CDD-D4496E324F88.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 18
McNally? Are you serious?
For a young guy in his first season of decent level football he has done really well.
He has played quite a few first team games and has been excellent (I haven't seen the less important JPT games)
You would seriously get rid of McNally?
No, I wasn’t being serious. I was pointing out that he’s been sent off twice (and given away penalties) in these games and yet escaped criticism. Bodin has missed what 5-6 absolute sitters and yet escapes criticism. There seems to be one rule for some, and other for others…

Every single female player that I’ve seen as a pundit, has been P**s poor. That’s not even bias, that’s an objective opinion. They wouldn’t last 5 minutes on the pitch, so how can they sit there with a straight face, and critique someone like Ronaldo? It’s stupid.
Odd take for someone on a fans forum to discuss professional football.

I can’t believe I’m even writing this in the year 2021, but there are plenty of competent women pundits offering insights way beyond click bait like Robbie Savage or Jamie O’Hara. There are plenty of tremendously talented female journalists in football more generally.

Womens football is on the right trajectory to become similar to tennis or athletics, you don’t expect the same 100m times or speed of serve but it’s not like the product really suffers. Hence the corporate and media interest. It’s still developing and it’s easy to criticise 10-0 score lines against countries who aren’t at the same stage of progress, but it’s clearly on the right track and growing. I don’t disagree that a stronger womens game will result in a larger pool of female pros with comparable experience to the men’s game, but the idea that someone articulate, well informed with the experience of 100 lionesses caps couldn’t offer a more interesting opinion than Trevor Sinclair is total drivel.

No, I wasn’t being serious. I was pointing out that he’s been sent off twice (and given away penalties) in these games and yet escaped criticism. Bodin has missed what 5-6 absolute sitters and yet escapes criticism. There seems to be one rule for some, and other for others…
i thought Bodin was the worst of the front 3 despite getting a few chances he didnt get invovled as much.

Not sure Bodin has missed that many sitters. Last night probably was one he should have scored and another was a great save/block.

Also, some have criticised him for it... and he has had far far fewer run outs than Agyei so far.

Get rid of McNally!? Give your head a wobble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom