Matches Pizza Trophy 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that I'm going to be in a very small minority, but I don't mind this competition. I won't cry myself to sleep if we lose, but I like the opportunity it gives to some of our younger players on those on the fringes.

I'd love to see Tyler Goodrham score a couple against Sutton then get a chance off the bench whilst his confidence is high. Equally, with it now becoming more about the strength of our squad rather than relying on the first choice 11, they're games to get fitness levels up and keep players ticking over.

However, I doubt that I'll have to queue overnight to get tickets so I'll keep my enthusiasm to myself!!

I know that I'm going to be in a very small minority, but I don't mind this competition. I won't cry myself to sleep if we lose, but I like the opportunity it gives to some of our younger players on those on the fringes.

I'd love to see Tyler Goodrham score a couple against Sutton then get a chance off the bench whilst his confidence is high. Equally, with it now becoming more about the strength of our squad rather than relying on the first choice 11, they're games to get fitness levels up and keep players ticking over.

However, I doubt that I'll have to queue overnight to get tickets so I'll keep my enthusiasm to myself!!

That hypothetical would be fantastic, and one every fan would enjoy.

If only we weren't part of a sideshow where we have to go up against Brighton and Hove U21s as part of it, then people could feel like they don't have to boycott the actually interesting fixtures.

That hypothetical would be fantastic, and one every fan would enjoy.

If only we weren't part of a sideshow where we have to go up against Brighton and Hove U21s as part of it, then people could feel like they don't have to boycott the actually interesting fixtures.

I'd rather see a conference side in than a PL u21's team, but the reality is that our younger players would probably have lumps kicked out of them by some non-league clobber!

I'd rather see a conference side in than a PL u21's team, but the reality is that our younger players would probably have lumps kicked out of them by some non-league clobber!

From 2002 to 2006, 12 Conference sides were invited to take part each season. We - ahem - fell victim to one of them in 2005-05 when we lost to Exeter on penalties. I think Tom Winters may well have scored for us that day.

Whilst not FL, I too would prefer NL sides over big clubs U23s or whatever.

I don't mind this competition, even with the u21 element ( though like a few on here would prefer it to be NL teams instead.

I get the boycott, but I'm beginning to think it has reached that OCD stage now, where the beast that is feared is never coming, rendering the rituals useless and self damaging.

I get the sense that the big boys are happy with the status quo focusing on the loan system and these couple of games, and that the appetite for b-teams in the league structure just isn't there (if it ever really was).

I don't mind this competition, even with the u21 element ( though like a few on here would prefer it to be NL teams instead.

I get the boycott, but I'm beginning to think it has reached that OCD stage now, where the beast that is feared is never coming, rendering the rituals useless and self damaging.

I get the sense that the big boys are happy with the status quo focusing on the loan system and these couple of games, and that the appetite for b-teams in the league structure just isn't there (if it ever really was).

Boiling frog?

My view has not changed and never will. As long as there are U21 teams in this competition it holds absolutely 0 value, they are glorified friendlies as far as I'm concerned.

I'll boycott until the U21 teams are removed, as this is simply a competition to improve the big clubs at the expense of the small clubs.

Or simply make it a full U21 competition, then it'll be a level playing field.

Last edited:
My view has not changed and never will. As long as there are U21 teams in this competition it holds absolutely 0 value, they are glorified friendlies as far as I'm concerned.

I'll boycott until the U21 teams are removed, as this is simply a competition to improve the big clubs at the expense of the small clubs.

Or simply make it a full U21 competition, then it'll be a level playing field.
It would be interesting to see the impact on attendances if it reverted to the previous format and u21 teams were removed. I would definitely start going again.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see it happen.

So they are making a big deal about the U21 teams zzzz
Despite the fact that no U21 team has yet made it to the final of the competition.

It would be interesting to see the impact on attendances if it reverted to the previous format and u21 teams were removed. I would definitely start going again.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see it happen.

It would probably be a little hard to tell, because the attendances were pretty miniscule even before the U21 joined. Noone has ever really cared about this tournament before the semi-finals......

Despite the fact that no U21 team has yet made it to the final of the competition.

It would probably be a little hard to tell, because the attendances were pretty miniscule even before the U21 joined. Noone has ever really cared about this tournament before the semi-finals......
However unimportant the competition is, I do feel it would be a death knell for the EFL if and when an U21 team wins, or even makes the final.

The PL fund it, they fund it for a reason with the crumbs from their table.
As they have a bottomless pit of money they just keep pushing along until folk accept the new normal.
Then the PL will go for the end game.
They don`t need people through the gate to do that.

I too don't mind the competition. The reasons why it exists is obvious - the majority of L1/L2 teams will be out of the FA Cup and League Cup at the first and second round stages and an extra cup competition keeps the season's interest up and potentially adds something to the coffers. Having three games guaranteed is a worthwhile move and I think our approach to it in recent years has been really good. It's given a taste of action to those coming through from the youth team and we've used it as a springboard for those returning from injury to get a start. If anything, it was disappointing that we exited so early last season. We could have done with an extra match or two for the likes of Forde, Josh Johnson and so.

I wouldn't get complacent though. If the top sides see an opportunity to improve their position (often at the cost to other teams), they will use it and that includes meddling in the EFL Trophy. If they say in a few years time 'we've had U21 teams in the Trophy for a decade now. Why not have them in the League?' I would not be surprised. Apathy will allow that to happen.

That said, the Greedy Six have bigger fish to fry. An influx of American owners will surely soon form a cabal to bring English football in line with US sports so that the big clubs cannot fail, be that missing out on qualification for the lucrative Champions League, seeing a team like Leicester unexpectantly break their grip on winning the title or - worst case scenario - being relegated from the PL. They want to avoid those things and by influencing the law makers and organisers, they're very much getting their way.

An ESL is still bigger a priority for them rather than U21 teams in the EFL (money talks and returns on that would be massive), but if it strengthens their position to get what they want, you bet your bottom dollar they'll use it.

I too don't mind the competition. The reasons why it exists is obvious - the majority of L1/L2 teams will be out of the FA Cup and League Cup at the first and second round stages and an extra cup competition keeps the season's interest up and potentially adds something to the coffers. Having three games guaranteed is a worthwhile move and I think our approach to it in recent years has been really good. It's given a taste of action to those coming through from the youth team and we've used it as a springboard for those returning from injury to get a start. If anything, it was disappointing that we exited so early last season. We could have done with an extra match or two for the likes of Forde, Josh Johnson and so.

I wouldn't get complacent though. If the top sides see an opportunity to improve their position (often at the cost to other teams), they will use it and that includes meddling in the EFL Trophy. If they say in a few years time 'we've had U21 teams in the Trophy for a decade now. Why not have them in the League?' I would not be surprised. Apathy will allow that to happen.

That said, the Greedy Six have bigger fish to fry. An influx of American owners will surely soon form a cabal to bring English football in line with US sports so that the big clubs cannot fail, be that missing out on qualification for the lucrative Champions League, seeing a team like Leicester unexpectantly break their grip on winning the title or - worst case scenario - being relegated from the PL. They want to avoid those things and by influencing the law makers and organisers, they're very much getting their way.

An ESL is still bigger a priority for them rather than U21 teams in the EFL (money talks and returns on that would be massive), but if it strengthens their position to get what they want, you bet your bottom dollar they'll use it.

Once the ESL or its satanic spawn emerges then there will be "spaces" to fill and that is when the second paragraph happens.

Will the new "consumer" care if OUFC are playing Manchester City "A" or not? course not - its all about the brand and the money.

Like Tesco et al doing in small retailers.

Games going to hell in a handcart.

Once the ESL or its satanic spawn emerges then there will be "spaces" to fill and that is when the second paragraph happens.

Will the new "consumer" care if OUFC are playing Manchester City "A" or not? course not - its all about the brand and the money.

Like Tesco et al doing in small retailers.

Games going to hell in a handcart.

The consumer probably will care based on attendances with b sides in other countries and attendances in the Pizza Trophy.

I don't think B sides in the league is a serious concern now. The resistance to the notion outweighs the desire for it.

The worry is what will happen if the richest PL club owners get their way and the European Superleague happens - and you know they'll come back for it, whether it's 5,10,20 years from now, because there's a ton of money to be made.

Then you could easily see the clubs still wanting to have Man U B and Chelsea B play in the football league pyramid whilst they waltz off and play in a closed league with the other European goliaths. And then the PL/EFL might be so desperate that they'll agree to anything that sees their biggest brands still turning out a team in their competition.

I actually wouldn't care that much if the 'Big 6' swanned off to play in their own league - I think I'd enjoy English football more without them. But if that then meant watching their B sides in football league competition, I think I'd be done with football.....

EDIT - Sorry, just reread the thread and realized this is exactly what Essex was saying. Apologies for the repetition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom