Pitch Invasions

OUFCwaffle

Now that the season is over, what do people think of pitch invasions when a team wins something?

If done after the final whistle (aka not like Blackburn! :ROFLMAO:) they're brilliant. It's a fantastic part of football culture and clubs should prepare for them properly, rather than try to prevent them.
Let fans have their moment, then order them off the pitch for the players to come back out after 20 mins or so. If they don't move fast enough, then a simple line of stewards can walk across the pitch to move the remaining fans into the stands, simple.

Pitch invasions are great when they go for you, not so great when they go against you....
It would have been interesting, very interesting if we were on the bottom tier at Blackburn as most visiting teams have been this season, especially when Karl Robinson tackled their fans, I for one would have been in there with him and I know I wouldn’t have been alone..... (not that 2 wrongs make a right).....
The yellows fans were move galvanised than ever before at Ewood Park and that can only be positive looking to the future under the guidance of Karl Robinson......
I am Proud, very proud of the team, the management and above all, our tremendous supporters who turn up week in, week out to try and make a difference......

Best pitch invasion I remember was a few years back against Accrington. Last game of the season. We beat them 3-0 but because other results went their way they managed to avoid relegation and so a small number of their fans (30-50) ran onto the pitch at the final whistle.

Watching a really tiny number of fans invade the pitch, especially to celebrate a 3-0 defeat and some luck, was pricelessly funny

The thing that annoys me about pitch invasions now is everybody taking selfies/video themselves rather than just getting on and enjoying the moment in a spontaneous way. It is just another look at me moments rather than just enjoying the moment for what it is.

I don't think it's on to celebrate on someone else's pitch, it's disrespectful. Two of these stand out for me, Orient (obviously) when we went down, and Ipswich did it at The Manor. Home fans doing it, not a problem.

The problem is when you get idiots like the blackburn fans who go on before the final whistle and just cause a nuisance. Then you get people like our own "fans" when we beat wycombe who were getting in the way of the champagne celebration and ruining the moment for the players. Of course this is just a very small minority and I highly doubt any of these ever actually attend matches unless its a big one.

Northwich Victoria at home was an interesting one. Small bunch on the pitch, one of whom abused Clarkie (then at Vics) if memory serves. Then everyone discussing it on the old forum, then the club and OxfordMail printing 20 photos of the "offenders", which saw a lot of people stop posting on the thread. Were some hefty bans handed out if I recall?

Pitch invasions are frustrating, last season at Millwall we were denied the opportunity to say thank you to out players because of a pitch invasion. This season at least the muppets at Blackburn allowed that to happen by going on early. But where does the blame lay here

Blackburn Rovers FC - certainly have a big part to play, they chose to make it £10 and encourage a huge crowd, they must have known the likely out come and seems the level of stewarding was inadequate, at no point were they ever going to stand a chance.

Stewards - don't blame them at all, not sure I would put myself in the firing line of a stampede of fans when you have no chance of success

Police - nowhere to be seen ! oh apart from in the away section where they just said it had nothing to do with them. When there were fans who simply did not leave the pitch then that was the time for the Police to get involved and nick anyone not leaving the pitch

EFL - no we get to the clowns of all this. So in order to let SKY show a token EFL game we move all the kick offs to 5.30pm. The day tripping fans will no doubt have been in the pub since 11am or earlier and the delayed kick offs showed absolutely no respect for fans of any club on the day. They are a disgrace

Blackburn fans - well the majority are completely innocent. Its interesting to see that 90% of the fans came from the stand which normally has away fans in it, suggesting that the majority were probably day trippers. The ones that really hack me odd are the so called parents who go onto the pitch with their children, what sort of role model are they ?

I wonder how many arrests and banning orders there will be from Saturday, I think we all know the answer. If that was at Oxford I suspect it would have been different

I don't think it's on to celebrate on someone else's pitch, it's disrespectful. Two of these stand out for me, Orient (obviously) when we went down, and Ipswich did it at The Manor. Home fans doing it, not a problem.
Remember the Tractor boys at the Manor ...THEY were 'allowed' to celebrate their promotion on the pitch, meanwhile TVP amassed, inc dog handlers and if memory serves horses too, in force in front of the London Road end , FFS it was OUR last game of the season and at OUR ground!:mad:

as for THAT Orient match at the breeze block, disastrously handled from start to finish:mad:

agree 100% @SteMerritt it is disrespectful celebrating on someone else pitch......... ( that's not to say hordes of Oxford's finest have never invaded pitches at away grounds! .... don't recall too many of those 'invasions' being celebrations? )

ff49ce64d8f3f177aba0e6cd11feb1d4.jpg

At least Millwall had a plan to get them back off the pitch. A line of stewards followed by a second line of police.

Remember the Tractor boys at the Manor ...THEY were 'allowed' to celebrate their promotion on the pitch, meanwhile TVP amassed, inc dog handlers and if memory serves horses too, in force in front of the London Road end , FFS it was OUR last game of the season and at OUR ground!:mad:

as for THAT Orient match at the breeze block, disastrously handled from start to finish:mad:

agree 100% @SteMerritt it is disrespectful celebrating on someone else pitch......... ( that's not to say hordes of Oxford's finest have never invaded pitches at away grounds! .... don't recall too many of those 'invasions' being celebrations? )
Speaking of Ipswich and celebrating on the pitch, who else was at Portman Road in 1986, when they beat us 2-1 I think it was and their fans celebrated on the pitch that they were "staying up" whilst coining the Oxford fans, only for us to relegate them a week later when we beat Arsenal in a game played when all the other fixtures had been completed? That was Karma in action :D

Speaking of Ipswich and celebrating on the pitch, who else was at Portman Road in 1986, when they beat us 2-1 I think it was and their fans celebrated on the pitch that they were "staying up" whilst coining the Oxford fans, only for us to relegate them a week later when we beat Arsenal in a game played when all the other fixtures had been completed? That was Karma in action :D
I was :)..... John Lennon himself wouldve been impressed with that (near) Instant Karma :cool:

Northwich Victoria at home was an interesting one. Small bunch on the pitch, one of whom abused Clarkie (then at Vics) if memory serves. Then everyone discussing it on the old forum, then the club and OxfordMail printing 20 photos of the "offenders", which saw a lot of people stop posting on the thread. Were some hefty bans handed out if I recall?

Not interesting for me. just very very embarrassing.

I was there at both games. Being coined could have resulted in some very nasty injuries. If I recall rightly the police wouldn't let us out the back so we just had to stand there crowded together and take it. I also remember Dave Spackman (R.I.P) saying it'll only take 12 good men and true to get over that wall and sort them out. Never happened because there were stewards in the way. But neither they nor the police did anything to protect innocent people. Was a long time ago though so memory may be playing tricks.

Just bumping this after watching some play off matches as there have been pitch invasions after all of them. Lincoln reckon their 78 year old kit man was assaulted last night. There doesn't seem to be a lot of precaution to keep fans off the pitch in these games.

Just bumping this after watching some play off matches as there have been pitch invasions after all of them. Lincoln reckon their 78 year old kit man was assaulted last night. There doesn't seem to be a lot of precaution to keep fans off the pitch in these games.
Too interested in having their moment to worry about the safety of others, etc.

The best thing I like about pitch invasions celebrating the semi final win is when they lose the final..... and we can all turn round and laugh and take the P**s at the fact they aren’t going up and what was the pitch invasion all about, celebrating getting to the final? ???

Back
Top Bottom