General Phasing out Heading

I don't know enough to form a reasoned opinion on *how* dangerous heading the ball is in the long term, especially when comparing modern balls with their sodden, leather counterparts of years gone by. Of course, nobody wants to see anyone have a long term brain injury, but isn't the nature of some sport (probably *all* contact sports and many others as well) that there are inherent risks?

Restricting heading for kids seems like a good idea (they aren't old enough to take that decision themselves) but once you get to 18 or even 16 surely you are old enough to decide if you want to go base jumping, pot holing, free climbing or will take the risk of heading the ball? Reducing heading 'drills' even for adults seems sensible as well though.

I am struggling t think what football would be like without any heading at all though - it would be a very very different game.

What happens if it’s banned in one country but not another, Scottish teams struggle enough in Europe without having the disadvantage of not being able to head the ball against opponents who can.
In exactly the same way, the Welsh FA introduced small-sided youth football 11yrs ago to encourage more passing and every player gets plenty of touches. For Under 7 leagues, it’s 4 a side with tiny ‘pop-up goals’ and no keeper.

The system has been a relative success in that some strong technically gifted players are now coming through the system, but at the expense of their keepers. No one gets to play in goal until age 8, and by that time those who are natural goalies or would possibly volunteer to go in goal have lost interest.

My prediction is that the Welsh clubs will have some good outfield players coming through their academies between but the keepers will all be like Mike Salmon.

Back
Top Bottom