National News Petrol prices

Can you point me to a single person who has claimed Brexit has caused the petrol price crisis (rather than exacerbated it)? If you can, ask them!
Ah ok, thanks for engaging with my original point for absolutely no reason then 😂

Brexit hasn’t caused worldwide fuel hikes. It just leaves the UK more exposed because of the drop in the pound.

If the Dollar was still around 1.48 to the pound, Fuel would cost around £1.55 per litre. (Calculation based on fuel now being £1.90 per litre)
Why would the pound still be 1.48 to the dollar though? Exchange rates have been up and down since time began. And both UK and EU currencies have been sliding against the dollar as a consistent trend since 2008, so there's no reason to think we'd be at 1.48 still.

Regardless of Brexit or no Brexit, we would be sliding against the dollar as we have been for 14 years.

Last edited:
Why would the pound still be 1.48 to the dollar though? Exchange rates have been up and down since time began. And both UK and EU currencies have been sliding against the dollar as a consistent trend since 2008, so there's no reason to think we'd be at 1.48 still.

Regardless of Brexit or no Brexit, we would be sliding against the dollar as we have been for 14 years.
In January 2016 the rate was €1 EUR = $1.0878 Dollar
Today it’s €1 EUR = $1.0297 Dollar

The Euro has dropped 0.009465894465894% over 6 years

In January 2016 it was £1 = $1.48
Today it’s £1= $1.21012

That’s an 18.23513513513514% drop over the same 6 years.

Why’s the pound also tanking in comparison to the Euro?

Last edited:

Are you arguing that the pound depreciating is a good thing for petrol prices?

Assuming that you aren’t, because no one would, can you confirm the fx rate change since brexit rather than choosing a convenient timescale that suits your argument but is completely unrelated to brexit?

Just been to fill up the gas guzzler - 186.1 a litre at Morrisons.

Luckily I had £40 of ONS Survey gift cards to soften the blow. :)

Asda Carterton has been 1.69 all week, further down the road near entrance to RAF Brize Norton 1.74. case for shopping around, dearer in Witney

That was yesterday for Morrisons............. the local robbing Texaco is still over £1.95!

If you had said to me a year ago that £1.60 a litre would be considered cheap I would of laughed at you. Genius by those involved, put prices sky high, make a fortune, then drop prices a bit but keep them higher than they were before, still make loads of money but now have people be grateful for it.