General Perfect Partnership or attack

Nasty striker combination:

Billy Whitehurst and Jonny "Lager" Durnin

Sub: David Rush, David Rush, David David Rush, has a fight, scores a goal David David Rush

Best team since I've been alive.

Whitehead
Robinson
Baldock
Elliot
Nelson
Beauchamp
Roofe
Whitehead
Lunny
Maguire
Moody

Honourable mentions
Hackett
Powell
Brooks
Leven
Duberry
Turley
Constable
Whyte
Ledson
If we are having loan players (Baldock) then surely you have to include Guy Whiitingham a goal a game ratio and all against the Scum ?

Those of a certain age might cite the Arthur Turner side(s) that took just 7 years/seasons to go from non league starting from Headington United- Oxford United, to going up to old Leauge division 2 (The Championship now) and into the 70s.... including beating the then mighty Blackburn Rovers in FA Cup , and losing to PNE ( to one if not 2 disputed goals) on the way

best team from that era would be (for me)..

Barron
Beavon
Quartermain
Roberts
Kyle
Atkinson ( R)
Knight
Jones
Atkinson (G)
Calder
Harrington

No Substitutes till the 66/67 season ... applying the 7 sub rule of today, the bench would consist of :- Houghton, Shuker, Clarke (C), Sloan, Skeen, Evanson , Fearnley (gk)
I remember that team so well. I would have included Shuker instead of Roberts.

No chance. Roberts was a truly outstanding player and a full Wales international and played in the Centre unlike J Shuker. I used to love watching the Home Internationals live on TV back in the 70’s seeing an Oxford player (albeit Welsh) on the big stage. For my money one of the best players to pull on the yellow (gold) shirt

For you older fans, how good was Peter Houseman? Dad used to rate him, would he come into best squad thinking?

Tough call leaving Shukes on the bench, old fashioned utility player who gave 100% every match he played... for me Gary Briggs and Dave Roberts are the best two centre backs weve ever had, and neither took any prisoners, albiet I think they played for the U's a decade n a bit apart ?..... also IMO Jimmy Barron is the best keeper ever to play for the U's

Tough call leaving Shukes on the bench, old fashioned utility player who gave 100% every match he played... for me Gary Briggs and Dave Roberts are the best two centre backs weve ever had, and neither took any prisoners, albiet I think they played for the U's a decade n a bit apart ?..... also IMO Jimmy Barron is the best keeper ever to play for the U's
Trouble is, his goalkicks could never reach the half way line.

What, even down the slope from the cuckoo lane end?

We've had some shocking kickers in goal over the years, I think Hucker was the worst I ever saw, most of his went into the Beech Road ?

true ... but almost every stopper weve had has been similar with goal and drop kick distances ...if memory serves

43 goals in 168 appearances

✊??

Known by some fans as 'the king'.

Rivalled in quality only by Tommy Mooney

As a curveball, the theoretical Jamie Brooks playing just behind.

Back
Top Bottom