Peps comments

yellowbow

When I came here there weren’t many players and we were selling (John) Lundstram and Marvin Johnson.

“We spent (next to) nothing in the summer, a lot of players were out of contract or free transfers and they’re producing pretty good football.

Apologies for starting a thread on this but I think the managers words are worthy of discussion. They’re hardly comments in line with the owners whose talk was of pushing for promotion and hiking ticket prices to pay for it.

Maybe the timing of Appleton’s departure had something to do with it or possibly DE was distracted by discussions with interested parties in buying the club but I wonder if he’s wishing Pep had kept those comments to himself.

Or perhaps the manager chose not to spend any money and save that money for the January transfer window.

Prices seemed heavily inflated in the summer so I would be hopeful of some more sensible dealing this time around.

Or perhaps the manager chose not to spend any money and save that money for the January transfer window.

Prices seemed heavily inflated in the summer so I would be hopeful of some more sensible dealing this time around.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in January although Pep seemed to put emphasis on the injured players returning to boost the squad in the new year. We'll see..

From my somewhat cynical viewpoint, I don't see us spending any significant sums in January. Take the fee for Hemmings (if Mansfield offer) send GvK back and that's about it.

From my somewhat cynical viewpoint, I don't see us spending any significant sums in January. Take the fee for Hemmings (if Mansfield offer) send GvK back and that's about it.
That will bring the fans flocking in after xmas ?

Strange to read this, often the manager gets sacked after saying such stuff. Benitez like.

As Highlights said, MAPP leaving through the recruitment process that had been planned for months into chaos. Pep needed time to assess the squad and begin much of the recruitment process again. The void between MAPP and Pep meant that targets were lost - such as the defender from Scotland.

Oxford don't spend money on players just to keep a few moaners quieter on this forum.

Those with an unhealthy obsession with what our wage bill is (or isn’t) will be very interested in this recent tweet from Dave Pritchard...

Attachments

• 2365DE7C-C277-4350-8D7E-656895D32963.png
    2365DE7C-C277-4350-8D7E-656895D32963.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 107
Those with an unhealthy obsession with what our wage bill is (or isn’t) will be very interested in this recent tweet from Dave Pritchard...

And OUFC will not be in a position to spend that kind of money under present ownership. What is clear though is that given the right investment the chances of advancing are much higher. (and the rewards likewise higher)

Fully agree, so why does eales come out with the kind of comments that he does, that come to mean nothing, Last summer, something along the lines of, there is money to spend apart from wages.

Fully agree, so why does eales come out with the kind of comments that he does, that come to mean nothing, Last summer, something along the lines of, there is money to spend apart from wages.

So, what did he buy with the money! :rolleyes:;)

As Highlights said, MAPP leaving through the recruitment process that had been planned for months into chaos. Pep needed time to assess the squad and begin much of the recruitment process again. The void between MAPP and Pep meant that targets were lost - such as the defender from Scotland.

Oxford don't spend money on players just to keep a few moaners quieter on this forum.

Agreed players were lost due to the upheaval of Appleton leaving but there was a robust recruitment dept in place and Pep said at the time that all the players signed were players that they had identified. That should have nullified the problem of much valuable time lost on assessing the squad.

If anyone still thinks there was a real commitment to get promoted in the summer by pumping in the resources they are deluded.

Theres nothing wrong with sensible budgeting, but dont feed the fans horseshit.

TBF, the manager stated there wasn't value for money around in the summer, so didn't want to waste transfer fees on players who would not materially improve the team, just because

"So, Pep, what were you thinking when you signed that Dutch right-back?"

"Eer well the question you should be fokkusing on, Nathan, is why Faz had such a problem with Canice Carroll."

More interesting would be a programme with fans talking about what they think of Pep. I think it would have to be played after the watershed though.

What’s he got to say exactly? It’s another managerial failure for him in amongst his assistant roles.

After he got sacked he would be entitled to severence pay I would guess, paired with a confidentiality clause no doubt. So I wonder what light will be shed, if any.

I'll give it a go:
Arrived late before the season started.
Sale of two important players left us playing catch up.
Limited funds meant having to look abroad.
Started well.
Injuries took their toll.
Sacked before given a chance to rectify the situation.
Wish the club well.
Now fokussing on new challenge.

The budget was increased by one million pounds on the previous season, and he was actively delightedly that Johnson was sold because "three million is a fantastic price for him". Things that were said to me, directly, by Pep Clotet in a pub in Oxford the day after the Port Vale embarrassment. So let's get that on record ahead of this interview running.

Back
Top Bottom