PEP has Gone!

Interesting to see what this means for Faz and the rest of the coaching team. They are clearly all Mapp’s men. Don’t think it helped Pep that he didn’t bring any of his own people in. Should some blame not be levelled at the rest of the staff?

I think a Warburton or Grayson would only come if they can bring a few of their coaching staff with them. Which may mean curtians for Chrissy Allen etc

They seemed so sure about him in the summer, I thought he'd get the Appleton grace period. He must have messed up behind the scenes as well as on the pitch

There is also no Mark Ashton to fight his corner. Who knows what happened during MApp's first season in charge when we were just 3 points off the relegation places in League 2. Ashton backed MApp to turn things around, Eales may have not been so confident, but was held back from pulling the trigger by his then MD.

I am surprised that no one has commented about Brown and Clotet having a very heated discussion on the touchline on Saturday. I only noticed because Brown usually stays hidden away on the bench.

Any idea what it was about?

Any idea what it was about?
It was after a corner that they hit the post/had a very good chance and there was a prolonged heated discussion, with Tiendalli put his oar in from the pitch. Can only assume that there was an issue with the marking, and Brown was unhappy that Eastwood was left adrift. Not being near it, can't hear what was said, but it looked heated.

I heard a rumour that Brown and Clotet never got on, don’t know about the rest of the backroom staff.

Not sure if this has already been posted but I think it’s a good read..

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...t_Oxford_United_/?ref=mr&lp=3#comments-anchor
I reckon that sums things up nicely. I think that will be the go to article in the future when someone wants to understand what happened this season.

Debates around the foreign signings will run on and on.

Was Pep's appointment linked to his ability to recruit "good value" foreign signings? Did he assure Eales that they would be good enough and a short cut to promotion? Would Pekalski have made a difference? Is Tiendali finally coming good now he's regaining his fitness? Is GvK a waster or wasted? What was the thinking behind Xemi? Will he ever recover from his Wigan horror show? Is Pep's sudden departure partly linked to Eales disappointment over the foreign legion?

Anyway, a great article.

Yes good article.

What would have happened if Tiendalli hadn’t made that back pass and we’d won? Would have been very hard to sack him then
Yep, on such fine margins careers are ended.

It might have only pushed the issue down the road, maybe Darryl was simply waiting for the next loss, or even draw.

Not sure if this has already been posted but I think it’s a good read..

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...t_Oxford_United_/?ref=mr&lp=3#comments-anchor

Great summary. In all honesty, Pep was out of his depth imo, but he was pissing in the wind from the start.

The lack of ANY director/senior manager at his unveiling was weird, and i think its inherenly clear the cheapo signings werent his first choice.

The club is completely rudderless and any experienced manager would be nuts to go near it until we know what on earth is going on.

Great summary. In all honesty, Pep was out of his depth imo, but he was pissing in the wind from the start.

The lack of ANY director/senior manager at his unveiling was weird, and i think its inherenly clear the cheapo signings werent his first choice.

The club is completely rudderless and any experienced manager would be nuts to go near it until we know what on earth is going on.

I'm not in the know and I don't personally know anyone who works within the club, but myself and others have been saying for quite some time that the club feels rudderless, a sense that there is a lack of leadership from the very top, add to that a lot of uncertaincy surrounding the club re ownership and takeovers. Not a recipe for success & harmony.

I agree, I actually think any potential new manager (experienced or not) would want to know what was happening in the short and medium term before even bothering to be interviewed.

I think there's more to this than just results, DE is on holiday too isnt he? or certainly not in the country.

I think there's more to this than just results, DE is on holiday too isnt he? or certainly not in the country.

How can recruitment begin if the chairman isn’t about?

It looks like Clotet was a short term appointment as it *looks* like DE thought he would have the club sold by now.

There has been a change in recruitment, back to our success, maybe this is the managerial change along similar lines as DE is planning to hold the club. The silence however is strange. More than meets the eye, but until DE speaks we are none the wiser.

It will be nice if at least one or two members of the board are present when the new man is introduced

How can recruitment begin if the chairman isn’t about?

It looks like Clotet was a short term appointment as it *looks* like DE thought he would have the club sold by now.

There has been a change in recruitment, back to our success, maybe this is the managerial change along similar lines as DE is planning to hold the club. The silence however is strange. More than meets the eye, but until DE speaks we are none the wiser.

Incidently does anybody follow Pep on Twitter? Just wondered if he'd 'tweeted' anything since the axe came down. It would be nice if he was getting some thanks from supporters for his efforts at least

Back
Top Bottom