Penalties and VAR

Foley

So belt the ball at a players hands and it is a penalty.
I prefer the 'deliberate hand ball rule@@

Never a penalty so Peter Walton demonstrates his incompetence by saying it is. Coolly taken by Rashford though.

The talk about being an unnatural arm position is utter tripe. How else is somebody jumping going to get lift/balance needed? And the arm was by his side so I would like these Refs to demonstrate how they are supposed to jump.

Also all replays should be shown at normal speed not slow motion, as slow motion changes how it looks.

Not a penalty for me, not certain what these ex refs stealing a living talking shite on tv expect footballers to do with there arms when they jump/run/move, nothing unnatural about it.

But it made for an exciting and dramatic end to the game and PSG messing up again is enjoyable to watch.

Not a penalty for me, not certain what these ex refs stealing a living talking shite on tv expect footballers to do with there arms when they jump/run/move, nothing unnatural about it.

But it made for an exciting and dramatic end to the game and PSG messing up again is enjoyable to watch.

But the player jumped and turned his back with his arm out wider.

I think that handball should be given only if it’s deliberate.

And the think VAR would clear things up!!

It just proves how subjective VAR is and why, if they carry on like they are, it's going to make top level football a joke when some VAR refs say it should be looked at and others don't.

if players, managers etc didn't constantly moan and get in the refs face all these years then this VAR shi*e wouldn't be needed.

just let the officials do their job and accept their decisions.

as for the penalty last evening, a lesson to learn what you doing turning your back !

I agree with makv. He sets his arm before he jumps and turns.

I actually think that last night was a good advert for VAR.

It got a few offside decisions correct, and removed any doubt from the Di Maria disallowed goal.

With the penalty I think the sections have gone either way. At least it gave the ref a chance to have a second look and call it how he saw it properly, with numerous angles and speeds, instead of a split second decisions with more than likely a poor view.

If it wasn’t in operation last night would there not be people saying it should have been a penalty?

Penalty for me, especially when the referee said before the game that if you make yourself bigger by putting your arms out it’s a pen. Agree with the last few comments that he had time to see the ball.
On another note, PSGs manager stating it wasn’t a pen as the shot was off target......what planet is he on?

There is no good advert for VAR until such time as it's used in "every" game..if the powers that be are desperate for the right decisions then afford the same to every single league throughout the world.

Better still just accept the officials decision

There is no good advert for VAR until such time as it's used in "every" game..if the powers that be are desperate for the right decisions then afford the same to every single league throughout the world.

Better still just accept the officials decision
Disagree I’m afraid.
There are so many cameras at high profile games it allows for the referee to view multiple angles so that he can make an informed decision. At Oxford we only have one camera and we all know that is insufficient.
There is a place for technology in the game. Goal line technology has been a brilliant introduction for instance.

Any technology that removes the hysteria and "limbs" of scoring a goal can stay far far far away from football, that's VAR. How can you go nuts celebrating a goal when you're going to have to wait whilst the referee checks if the strikers toe was offside? Absolute tripe. It removes all emotion from seeing the ball hit the net, because the ball hitting the net no longer confirms if you've scored.

Disagree I’m afraid.
There are so many cameras at high profile games it allows for the referee to view multiple angles so that he can make an informed decision. At Oxford we only have one camera and we all know that is insufficient.
There is a place for technology in the game. Goal line technology has been a brilliant introduction for instance.

is that not the whole point though? if it's to be used then do so at every game...why should the right decision be deemed vital at Old Trafford or Barcelona or similar yet not at the likes of the rest of them further down the pyramid?.

is that not the whole point though? if it's to be used then do so at every game...why should the right decision be deemed vital at Old Trafford or Barcelona or similar yet not at the likes of the rest of them further down the pyramid?.
it would be a start if L1 and L2 matchday officials were full time instead of part time (as they currently are?) , and, if EFL were to have a meeting and provide a joint initiative with Referees Association to agree a standardised approach, for instance, regarding the roles of Assistant referees? , instead of the clown in the middle calling all the shots, including overuling better sighted assistants, a bit of consistancy in approach from match officials would , imo , go a needed long way in improving lower league EFL as a sectatator sport, and as entertainment, which is paid highly for, yet rarely is actually all that in terms of entertainment?

Any technology that removes the hysteria and "limbs" of scoring a goal can stay far far far away from football, that's VAR. How can you go nuts celebrating a goal when you're going to have to wait whilst the referee checks if the strikers toe was offside? Absolute tripe. It removes all emotion from seeing the ball hit the net, because the ball hitting the net no longer confirms if you've scored.

They certainly have to look at the laws and make them sensible, fit for purpose, and work positively for the game. Having any tiny part of the body "offside" is bonkers - there is no discernible advantage from such tiny parts of your body ahead, and it certainly makes it pretty much impossible for the human on the ground to officiate. It definitely doesn't make it a "clear and obvious error" which is the criteria for using VAR. The handball also needs to be made clear and easy - what is definitely not needed is guidance to referees being to ignore the "deliberate" part of the law - that is not interpretation of a law.

Back
Top Bottom