Pavon Singha

from one of the linked articles
“For the Thai owners of English clubs, these are guys who are in their fifties and sixties and financially they have no issues,” Pavin continued. “If they were to start a club in Thailand, it would take years of work and investment but these clubs in England are ready-made. It’s true that they can help market a company but it’s about the passion too and the excitement and when you have that then you want to be involved.”

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pavin / Singha don't currently own any football clubs apart from Bangkok Glass. However do sponsor Everton and now Oxford United.

It does seem that owning an English football club is the big status symbol amongst these Thai owners, so I wonder whether Tiger is getting Singha involved first as sponsor with an eventual aim to take a shareholding or takeover? Or are we too small a club, rather than a club with a ready made big stadium and crowds to match?

Pretty sure there was a quote from Tiger and/or Pavin saying they were planning to take a sake?

“For the Thai owners of English clubs, these are guys who are in their fifties and sixties and financially they have no issues,” Pavin continued. “If they were to start a club in Thailand, it would take years of work and investment but these clubs in England are ready-made. It’s true that they can help market a company but it’s about the passion too and the excitement and when you have that then you want to be involved.”

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pavin / Singha don't currently own any football clubs apart from Bangkok Glass. However do sponsor Everton and now Oxford United.

It does seem that owning an English football club is the big status symbol amongst these Thai owners, so I wonder whether Tiger is getting Singha involved first as sponsor with an eventual aim to take a shareholding or takeover? Or are we too small a club, rather than a club with a ready made big stadium and crowds to match?
Or they might like the brand Oxford, it’s too early to speculate on who and how many get involved and the potential collective wealth available to us, but are these people just getting involved just to say they have the world famous Oxford in the portfolio or are they going to put OUFC on the map in this country?

Pretty sure Everton F.C. are sponsored by Chang.

Or they might like the brand Oxford, it’s too early to speculate on who and how many get involved and the potential collective wealth available to us, but are these people just getting involved just to say they have the world famous Oxford in the portfolio or are they going to put OUFC on the map in this country?
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/o...ds_to_utilise_Oxford_United_s__global_brand_/

That was a good call. Yes it's early days, but it's interesting to speculate on or various past, present and potential owners' motives with Oxford United.
Is it a property play, a big trainset, a plan to build a self-sustaining club, an opportunity to flip on for a profit, part of a global brand etc?

For everything TAG did wrong at Oxford City, if he ever had any intention to get some of his ideas actually running, they would have built on the Oxford brand with ideas like getting various Oxford sports under the one banner. I remember Swiss Yellow said the ice hockey team were approached and batted him away. Also ideas like a sports academy.

Seems fairly positive from the Pavon point of view.

I'm hoping they don't follow the Guerriero model too closely; opening another "Oxford City University" with up-front fees of $25,000 and no actual courses may be a step too far ;) *

* Example from memory.

"You're going home wi' your branding taaarnished!"

• React
Reactions: MJB
“Your brand’s going home in the back of a semi-competent marketer’s Audi and isn’t based on an internationally recognised City and surrounding area.”

“Your brand’s going home in the back of a semi-competent marketer’s Audi and isn’t based on an internationally recognised City and surrounding area.”

I like this one - catchy and to the point.

• React
Reactions: MJB
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/o...ds_to_utilise_Oxford_United_s__global_brand_/

That was a good call. Yes it's early days, but it's interesting to speculate on or various past, present and potential owners' motives with Oxford United.
Is it a property play, a big trainset, a plan to build a self-sustaining club, an opportunity to flip on for a profit, part of a global brand etc?

For everything TAG did wrong at Oxford City, if he ever had any intention to get some of his ideas actually running, they would have built on the Oxford brand with ideas like getting various Oxford sports under the one banner. I remember Swiss Yellow said the ice hockey team were approached and batted him away. Also ideas like a sports academy.
I have my moments..
I think with the Thais being football mad and every business man likes to make money, there is a balance of patients and ambition.
While it's easy to chuck money at projects football is mostly a money pit, the rewards are great if you get it right but there are a lot of rich owners with the same goal.
I hope these guys have the passion for the football, the club and can carry through their plan to get us at least to the championship !!! the branding will help on the corporate side, with an astute business model the momentum could grow and more funding released as we have a decent manager, the off field stuff is coming together and now we await the signings that will give the fans the optimism on the pitch.
These people are really big players in the football world and if they get it right it could be exciting times ahead, but there's always a but.

Back
Top Bottom