League One Paul Tisdale Sacked By Bristol Rovers

What a strange career in management Paul Tisdale is having. From unusual beginnings at Team Bath to a 12-year stint at Exeter, to an unmemorable 18-months at MK Dons to not even making it to 20 matches at Bristol Rovers. Diminishing returns could cast him out into the footballing wilderness if he gets the next job wrong.

Is he simply not being given time or has one of the lower league's great innovator's become old hat? I admired the way his team's approached the game. They played slick stuff and made good use of often meagre resources. However, I did feel that they were sometimes too soft, too fair and if you got into them, they would relent. His commitment to youth and selling it on has essentially kept Exeter going for years too.

Many said we should go for him whenever our manager’s position was available/in jeopardy - hmmmm.

Strange one. He actually did quite well at MK Dons to get them promoted and it all went wrong after.
Listening to hIm last night he seemed devoid of ideas, and mentioned at least twice that he can’t get his strikers to finish and they would keep working on it.
He struck me as someone who had no idea how to resolve the poor run.
There was I thinking that was something that only happened to Oxford a while back, nobody to bang the ball in the back of the net.
The only club that will be right for him might be Exeter some time in the future

Yep Paul Tisdale of Bristol Rovers sacked, and Keith Curle from Northampton.

Listening to hIm last night he seemed devoid of ideas, and mentioned at least twice that he can’t get his strikers to finish and they would keep working on it.
He struck me as someone who had no idea how to resolve the poor run.
If your players don't score goals it is difficult how anybody can have an idea how to stop such a run.
These manager sackings are panic stations.
It is probable that the players aren't good enough.
It looks like 4 out of 7 will go down now. Interesting to see which of the sackings work

Probably sacked after his post match comments last night as he seemed to insinuate that he wasn’t backed in the January transfer window.

Last edited:
And yet Director of Football Tommy Widdrington keeps his job even though he is involved in recruiting these managers' that are coming through the revolving door, and in the recruitment of the players for a number of seasons including this season's squad.

Said on the match thread, I don't rate Paul Tisdale but expecting a poor and unbalanced squad to be sorted out in 1 January transfer window whilst being limited by Squad size limits and a Salary Cap is ridiculous. Especially, when the same Director of Football who was a major part of putting that squad together is still part of that recruitment process.

Once more, for old time’s sake...

“How do you make players feel they can beat anybody? That’s why I wore a cravat for six months.

“I said to the players, “When I’m stood there, looking down the touchline twenty yards away, and the other manager’s got his tracksuit tucked into his socks, I’m one-nil up. How are you going to be one-nil up before you start?

“How are you going to be feeling in that crappy tunnel? Well, the other team will be p***ed off coming out of their dressing room, because it is damp and tiny.

“They might be four inches taller than you, but you’ll stand alongside them and know the manager’s got his cravat on.

“I’ll go out early and be stood in that technical area, with my silk scarf, feeling the b******s. When you walk out, you’ll look at me, and know if I feel it, then you’ll feel the nuts too.”

Back
Top Bottom