OxVox Mural at the Kassam Stadium

Agree C is the best style, but the images chosen need to be quite simple, such as the Shotton one. The centre image in the mock up just isn't bold enough.

why does it have to be images? I’d prefer some big yellow and blue motto or just simply OXFORD UNITED

The one my mate had a go at designing is much like option C, however more of a bold blue on yellow as opposed to the one OxVox did. Also incorporates ‘Oxford United’ although not in a great font. Think something like this could work quite well. Bold and simplistic

Attachments

• D277188B-0EF6-4B69-B0CB-FE660D17214D.jpeg
    D277188B-0EF6-4B69-B0CB-FE660D17214D.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 36
  • B084AA19-378F-4292-8982-DF10985344A6.jpeg
    B084AA19-378F-4292-8982-DF10985344A6.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 8794839E-5186-4B9F-929F-8A6D6AC3A1E7.jpeg
    8794839E-5186-4B9F-929F-8A6D6AC3A1E7.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 36
Agree C is the best style, but the images chosen need to be quite simple, such as the Shotton one. The centre image in the mock up just isn't bold enough.

Agree about the simplicity of the images - the central one should be Shotton holding the cup. It would be good to have a promotion photo from Appleton's squad on the left.

Format-wise the option C looks like a 12 year-old had a fiddle with a picture in photo editor and I wouldn't touch it. @Yellow Hammer 's mate's 2nd and 3rd shots are better and actually don't look amateurish.

I think the mural should include a shot of Chris Wilder's knee slide at Wembley after winning promotion back to the football slide. One of the all-time classic pictures.

And Mark Creighton carrying Ryan Clarke aloft, same game.

Prefer style C but would like a darker shade of yellow if possible.

Edit: If we are going down the cartoon style, my personal preference would be actual cartoon picture recreations of the photos with more of the various badges in between. I do not have the skills to recreate this mind.

Last edited:
I really, really want to be constructive about the images but, sorry, I'm underwhelmed.

Ok. I've stuck my hand in my pocket and contributed financially. I'm leaving the rest up to those who have an idea about graphic display and visual perception.

I really, really want to be constructive about the images but, sorry, I'm underwhelmed.

Ok. I've stuck my hand in my pocket and contributed financially. I'm leaving the rest up to those who have an idea about graphic display and visual perception.

Tbf, the images may have a totally different impact on the stand than on a computer screen.

two images that for me should be included ( in the style of option c / or maybe @Yellow Hammer 's mates number 2 or 3 type of layout ) iconic ones IMO, - which dont appear to be in any of the samples options so far ?- would be Big Ron leading the team out of the original changing room in the corner of the beech road/ cuckoo lane (2 possible options below).... and Beano kissing the badge after his 2 goal (the winning goal) at the County ground (also below ) .... apologies if they are on the sample options and Ive not noticed them on a smartphone - which is pressumably akin to viewing east stand back wall colour/ murals from the fence end!

fa-cup-sixth-round-oxford-united-v-preston-4571021.jpgimgID150076805.jpg.gallery.jpgbeano.jpg

I still think the photo's are too 'bitty'. While I like the idea of style C (which - even if just a standard PhotoShop filter - would at least make the photos look as if they were one design rather than some sort of scrapbook) I think the photos are too complex for it to work. From a distance it will just look like 'noise'. Less photos (with more defined shapes), more graphic images (even if derived from photos) and I still think it needs some sort of central text to be more of a rallying call and make it look less like wallpaper.
Take Sarges pic of Beano kissing the badge, remove the black background and then apply the PS filter to the image. That would be an example of a stronger design element.

The one my mate had a go at designing is much like option C, however more of a bold blue on yellow as opposed to the one OxVox did. Also incorporates ‘Oxford United’ although not in a great font. Think something like this could work quite well. Bold and simplistic

These are great in my opinion. Would love to see something like this.

Sarge mentions the iconic "Ron" shot. Funnily enough, we were already on the case with that shot!

With anything 'creative', be that music, art, literature, you can't please everyone. What one person loves, another hates. So whatever we end up with I can guarantee that someone will hate it. Doesn't mean they're wrong, or right.

"I don't like it" Fine, no problem with that, it's an opinion.
"It's s**t" No, you just don't like it.

The option 'C' that was created was based on the Obama "HOPE" posters (or the Warhol Lennon images - although they were just 2 tones and this is 3). Sadly there's not a simple PhotoShop fliter or effect to create this, instead it's a number of steps to vectorise the original image in as many 'tones' as you select and then coloring those 'tones'. In the example below, there are a couple of options (2 yellows and 1 blue, and then 1 yellow and 2 blues).

Is everyone going to like this, nope, but it's something more to add to the discussion.

Cheers and COYY!Ron options.jpg

Sarge mentions the iconic "Ron" shot. Funnily enough, we were already on the case with that shot!

With anything 'creative', be that music, art, literature, you can't please everyone. What one person loves, another hates. So whatever we end up with I can guarantee that someone will hate it. Doesn't mean they're wrong, or right.

The option 'C' that was created was based on the Obama "HOPE" posters (or the Warhol Lennon images - although they were just 2 tones and this is 3). Sadly there's not a simple PhotoShop fliter or effect to create this, instead it's a number of steps to vectorise the original image in as many 'tones' as you select and then coloring those 'tones'. In the example below, there are a couple of options (2 yellows and 1 blue, and then 1 yellow and 2 blues).

Is everyone going to like this, nope, but it's something more to add to the discussion.

Cheers and COYY!View attachment 1799

Cheer for the insight/ update @SiHath .... glad that the Big Ron image is in the plans ... middle or right hand versions are the better options IMO

Agreed with most people that 3C is the best option, but there needs to be another round. 3 and c are the simplest and look best from a distance (eg iPhone screen). An even better option might be even simpler and clearer.
What’s the message?
Our icon is an ox.
We won the milk cup.
Our player swung off the cross bar.
Our player kissed his shirt after scoring against the scum.
We have lots of keen fans.

Make a simple, easy to see from afar, icon for each and put them on a backdrop.

Cheers and COYY!View attachment 1799
As an example of making the images less fussy, on the Ron picture remove the background person before applying the filter. Pretty simple thing to do with any of the images to be used.

As an example of making the images less fussy, on the Ron picture remove the background person before applying the filter. Pretty simple thing to do with any of the images to be used.
it has been done already ...albeit not that brilliantly , but maybe sufficiently for a yellow n blue version?

imgID150076805.jpg.gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom