OxVox Mural at the Kassam Stadium

You need to reformat the link.

@OxVox - I did tweet this just now, but how about anyone who donates over £x gets entrance to an unveiling event?

Just seen your Tweet.

From the other closed thread.....

"The final choice of images will be decided via a public vote, available to all fans, the details of this are to be announced shortly."

Is there not a danger of ending up with the "Boaty McBoatface" option if everyone gets to vote rather than those who paid for it?

There have been some great murals commissioned in Leicester after the 500-1 PL win. Would rather something like that than an enlarged photo?

Having said that the "photo effect" can be rather good if done well like at DMU!

Great idea and will look fantastic. However, would it not make more sense to fit a similar sized electronic screen instead. This could then be used for showing the same pictures and also selling advertising space as well. Just a thought. It could also be used to show videos\goals etc pre-match to add to the match day experience. Flash 'come on you yellows' 'goal' etc during the match.

Last edited:
Looking at the Oxford Mail mock-up picture, it would seem to be a good idea to have as much colour as possible there. I do appreciate, however, that many of the older history photos will be black and white. It would be good to have the overall impression as yellow/blue, though.

Firstly it is very easy for people to sit behind their keyboards and criticise, so I'd just like to thank everyone involved for their time and efforts to get this project moving.

However, being pedantic, what is being planned is not a mural, it's a collage. To work, all of the images would need to blend in together. I fear that the planned design will be too confused and indistinct.

What would look much better, imho, would be a series of painted boards forming a single piece of artwork. The original ox head with oxford one side and united the other or for something more contemporary, perhaps pinch the design from the big s*****n flag with #proud history one side and bright future the other. Blue on yellow naturally.

We are delighted to announce further information about the mural project, which can be found here: oxvox.org.uk/east-stand-mur…

You can donate to help here: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/oxvox-kassam-stadium-mural

Further detail in respect of the voting will be announced early next week on our site and on @OxfordMailOUFC

Small point but you mention an offline method of donation in the email which should also be advertised.

Otherwise thanks.

Firstly it is very easy for people to sit behind their keyboards and criticise, so I'd just like to thank everyone involved for their time and efforts to get this project moving.

However, being pedantic, what is being planned is not a mural, it's a collage. To work, all of the images would need to blend in together. I fear that the planned design will be too confused and indistinct.

What would look much better, imho, would be a series of painted boards forming a single piece of artwork. The original ox head with oxford one side and united the other or for something more contemporary, perhaps pinch the design from the big s*****n flag with #proud history one side and bright future the other. Blue on yellow naturally.

Expressing ideas/thoughts on a public forum is not "sitting behind a keyboard & criticising".
The other problem is putting something up that covers both history & has longevity.
Like the idea of the boards linking together.......... surely there must already be some designs floating around?

I don't want to spoil the fun for you keyboard warrior chaps, but the article says "OxVox, has designed an exciting mural celebrating the club’s history", which obviates much of the highly informed debate you're used to providing me on cultural matters.

Before the howls of rage about who chooses the design get out of hand - municipal art is not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think anyone is slating the hard work of OxVox - I'm sure that getting everything through StadCo was extremely difficult and their work should be commended.

However, I do still feel that simply blowing up some photographs and sticking them on a big board isn't going to be as successful at they'd hoped, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, as was mentioned in the statement, some of the most popular or iconic photographs may not be available due to licensing costs.

Secondly, some of the iconic photos will unfortunately not be up to the quality needed to put on a large board. I think a pixelated version of some of our less 'handsome' players could turn out like Sloth from The Goonies.

Finally - as noted above, the colours of these images aren't going to get the desired effect. What made the back wall so good previously was the bold colour, standing out from the surroundings. Each was clear from any part of the stadium, and followed a clear theme (Yellow & Blue). Unfortunately, a majority of images don't really follow that colour scheme!

How can this be avoided?

Whilst this may work out being more expensive (closer to the original £10k quoted by OxVox earlier this year), I firmly believe that looking at stencil art utilising two or three primary colours is the way forward. Take a look at the murals Plymouth have on every concourse entrance.

This would avoid the licensing costs for iconic photos, and would stand out for all to see. You'd still pick the photos/scenes you'd like to stencil, reminiscent of the OUFC Legends flag that was done.

If you ask politely, certain former Ultras members may well be happy to talk about historic stencil flag designs.....:whistle:

Again - this is not meant as a slight on OxVox members in the slightest. This is me giving my honest opinion.

I applaud the committee for sorting this out - excellent work and the membership and supporters who will no doubt support it with the funds needed.

Well done and thanks to Firoz and Feroza Kassam too, for being once again, willing to support the 'Supporters' Trust'.

Well done oxvox for getting this project underway

iconic images look great from a certain distance... however from the fence end will blown up images (subject to licence) have the same visual impact viewed from more than five or so meters away ( such as from the halfway line or the ssu/ssl at the fence end?

the idea is to 'replace' the colour that the Ultras provided on match days.... which was a good use of yellow and blue .... images from a distance may well be viewed as a greyish blur from a distance, which isnt replacing the yellow n blue wall of colour

Back
Top Bottom