OxVox Meeting - LIVE

So what's the position on the stadium now? We are just going to renew the lease when its up?

I think people are working on different options. Jem stressed that OxVox were looking at all options but presently thought Grenoble Rd was the one most likely to progress. Ian Hudspeth and Bob Price agreed and under questions conceded nothing was set in stone but that the sites mentioned for a new stadium would be very problematic now and that it would take someone coming forward with the money and detailed plans to set things in motion and test how far it could get. The council have also offered Kassam a way to develop the overflow carpark cheaply if he sells the ground at a reasonable price to a community group but he didn't follow up on this and has not contacted them. All I could deduce from that was that he thinks he can get the housing without having to sell the ground and will continue to try and do that. As has been said by others and me, the MD and academy head spoke very well and I came away feeling far better about the direction of the club.

I have had a message from one of the Ultras. He planned to be at the meeting, but unfortunately his work over ran and couldn't make it.

Let's hope the MD has his meeting with Mixter and sorts it out.

I think people are working on different options. Jem stressed that OxVox were looking at all options but presently thought Grenoble Rd was the one most likely to progress. Ian Hudspeth and Bob Price agreed and under questions conceded nothing was set in stone but that the sites mentioned for a new stadium would be very problematic now and that it would take someone coming forward with the money and detailed plans to set things in motion and test how far it could get. The council have also offered Kassam a way to develop the overflow carpark cheaply if he sells the ground at a reasonable price to a community group but he didn't follow up on this and has not contacted them. All I could deduce from that was that he thinks he can get the housing without having to sell the ground and will continue to try and do that. As has been said by others and me, the MD and academy head spoke very well and I came away feeling far better about the direction of the club.

And the Kassam isn't problematic? I'd say 15 years or so of trying to purchase it would suggest otherwise, and we still wouldn't own it 100% or be able to gain further funds for naming rights etc.

I think if land could be found with help from our local councils (yeah right!), and release ourselves of Kassam's shackles, then that would be the best option for the club.

And the Kassam isn't problematic? I'd say 15 years or so of trying to purchase it would suggest otherwise, and we still wouldn't own it 100% or be able to gain further funds for naming rights etc.

I think if land could be found with help from our local councils (yeah right!), and release ourselves of Kassam's shackles, then that would be the best option for the club.
Would we (Oufc) own the new ground 100% outright Sean ?

Maybe, and i'm speaking as someone who knows some of them by sight and mutual acknowledgement of being Oxford fans. That they feel let down by the off pitch management at the club.
I understand that. But that environment is a perfect place to talk about that because OxVox are independent in all this and other fans can show their support or offer suggestions. It's not an easy environment to go into and I understand people not wanting to stand up and talk. But I do think it would do the Ultras good to be seen and heard outside of match days. It's got all a bit he said, she said recently and it does no one any favours IMHO

Who knows, but we'd have more say and revenue.
And there is still an opportunity to have that where we are, and a lot sooner. Add in the news that the science park are open to using their car parks, 40000 people with new housing living within a 20min walk and a new train link. (All things Charles gave as prime reasons for moving to WE) then it’s suddenly not such a bad site

I think that DE not being there was actually a good thing. The questions would have been about takeovers, to which DE would say "I am always open to offers, nothing has been brought to me" and then ended slagging off this forum and other social media talk.

Most questions were answered, in detail.

I didn't say he wasn't problematic and nor did the people I was paraphrasing. It's clearly a nightmare situation too. We all know the history. I asked the MD Niall McWilliams what the club's strategy was on the stadium and the question got taken up by Jem. Then there was some sensible back and forth between I believe Mark Sennett (resplendent in green tie) and Bob Price and Ian Hudspeth on land very near WE but not a plot already mentioned. They highlighted some of the many problems but ruled nothing out of hand.

My personal opinion is we have a clock ticking now and while eight years sounds a long time, in terms of planning and developing something so large, it's a blink of an eye. We cannot let ourselves get to a year from the end of our agreement with no options left to us. Renewing under the same terms is suicide and cannot be our only option. If a deal can be made to get the ground into community or joint ownership where we gain rights over development, upkeep and revenues then that is definitely an option worth reviewing but we have to also be actively looking at other sites. This shouldn't be an either/or approach. The butting of heads over this has become counterproductive and frankly childish. We need to have explored every avenue before it's too late because one worry for me from what was a very positive meeting last night was what was said about the council offering Kassam an easy route to developing the overflow carpark for housing if he sold the ground to the community for a reasonable price. Bob Price said Kassam had since gone quiet and has not shown any interest although they said he has submitted three sets of plans for development there himself.

The worry in all this is that people have been assuming Kassam is nervous about the contract running down and wants to get planning with our help. I would say this may show he thinks he can get the planning for the overflow carpark without our/the council's help and that arriving at renegotiation on the ground with us left with no options would be fine by him. He gets to develop, keeps the conference facilities and revenue income and has us tied into a very favourable deal for him.

The fact DE is in arbitration with Kassam was mentioned as a possible reason for holding a deal up but frankly I think that's a red herring. This is a businessman and given his previous dealings this should be water off a duck's back. If the ground is sold or is moved into community ownership it goes away anyway. If he really holds a grudge over DE brining it to arbitration he will still feel that way once it is ended.

In my humble opinion we need to assume the worst and plan for all eventualities, rather than argue amongst ourselves while time ticks away.

Last edited:
I didn't say he wasn't problematic and nor did the people I was paraphrasing. It's clearly a nightmare situation too. We all know the history. I asked the MD Niall McWilliams what the club's strategy was on the stadium and the question got taken up by Jem. Then there was some sensible back and forth between I believe Mark Sennett (resplendent in green tie) and Bob Price and Ian Hudspeth on land very near WE but not a plot already mentioned. They highlighted some of the many problems but ruled nothing out of hand.

My personal opinion is we have a clock ticking now and while eight years sounds a long time, in terms of planning and developing something so large, it's a blink of an eye. We cannot let ourselves get to a year from the end of our agreement with no options left to us. Renewing under the same terms is suicide and cannot be our only option. If a deal can be made to get the ground into community or joint ownership where we gain rights over development, upkeep and revenues then that is definitely an option worth reviewing but we have to also be actively looking at other sites. This shouldn't be an either/or approach. The butting of heads over this has become counterproductive and frankly childish. We need to have explored every avenue before it's too late because one worry for me from what was a very positive meeting last night was what was said about the council offering Kassam an easy route to developing the overflow carpark for housing if he sold the ground to the community for a reasonable price. Bob Price said Kassam had since gone quiet and has not shown any interest although they said he has submitted three sets of plans for development there himself.

The worry in all this is that people have been assuming Kassam is nervous about the contract running down and wants to get planning with our our help. I would say this may show he thinks he can get the planning for the overflow carpark without our/the council's help and that arriving at renegotiation on the ground with us left with no options would be fine by him. He gets to develop, keeps the conference facilities and revenue income and has us tied into a very favourable deal for him.

The fact DE is in arbitration with Kassam was mentioned as a possible reason for holding a deal up but frankly I think that's a red herring. This is a businessman and given his previous dealings this should be water off a duck's back. If the ground is sold or is moved into community ownership it goes away anyway. If he really holds a grudge over DE brining it to arbitration he will still feel that way once it is ended.

In my humble opinion we need to assume the worst and plan for all eventualities, rather than argue amongst ourselves while time ticks away.

Excellent post and a good summary.

The worry in all this is that people have been assuming Kassam is nervous about the contract running down and wants to get planning with our our help. I would say this may show he thinks he can get the planning for the overflow carpark without our/the council's help and that arriving at renegotiation on the ground with us left with no options would be fine by him. He gets to develop, keeps the conference facilities and revenue income and has us tied into a very favourable deal for him.

This right here...

Why not build a new Stad next to Bicester Village? Not only do they now own most of southern Bicester, but an influx of Chinese/Asian/middle eastern money would probably follow. Also, the new 'Varsity' east west rail link and the new expressway about to slice through the area would provide easy access. Simples!

Why not build a new Stad next to Bicester Village? Not only do they now own most of southern Bicester, but an influx of Chinese/Asian/middle eastern money would probably follow. Also, the new 'Varsity' east west rail link and the new expressway about to slice through the area would provide easy access. Simples!
Because its outside of OXFORD!

...one worry for me from what was a very positive meeting last night was what was said about the council offering Kassam an easy route to developing the overflow carpark for housing if he sold the ground to the community for a reasonable price. Bob Price said Kassam had since gone quiet and has not shown any interest although they said he has submitted three sets of plans for development there himself.

there was some important context that bob price gave there though. the carppark, if developed, is already designated for housing under the city plan, so kassam hasn't been given that route, it has always been there for him if he submits a plan that ticks the various boxes that oxford city council's plan requires (family housing being the principal one from recollection).

bob price did then say that it was a difficult site to develop for housing because of infrastructure issues, and the council had offered to help overcome those issues if a deal around the stadium could be done (someone help me out here, did he actually say acquired?). however, as kassam had only submitted plans that did not meet the city plan requirements, that conversation had not progressed any further, and he has now gone quiet about development there in general.

my interpretation is that the council are trying to leverage the difficulties around the site, but the plan requires that any development meets certain criteria, and kassam is trying it on by submitting plans that do not, presumably as those proposed developments are more profitable than if they met the requirements.

anyway, more broadly, a big thanks to the oxvox committee for organising what i thought was a very helpful meeting. really interesting to hear from niall mcwilliams and dan harris from the club (particularly niall mcwilliams saying that there had been a quite deliberate change in recruitment strategy at the start of the season that they were now reversing back to the strategy we had under appleton - a point not followed up on but does this say anything about eales' plans?), but particularly to have both bob price and ian hudspeth present. often our conversations around the stadium become assertions about what would or wouldn't be possible, so to have two informed local decision makers there helped us understand the viability of different possiblities and the factors involved.

I think it’s poor form from Oxvox to hold it at the masons arms. Poor Charlie saw the word masons and spent the evening sat at the lodge waiting for us all to turn up
:D:D:D

Very positive meeting. Particularly impressed with the plan for the academy and future developments.

Stadium issue will always be worrying, but having Hudspeth and Price there made it a little clearer on what needs to be done to resolve everything, and it's nice to hear the city council at least may give a damn about our situation.

Shame none of the Ultras turned up, as one of the younger members that attended (that was probably assumed to be an ultra) it would have been good to have them speak to the new MD directly. Hope this can be facilitated.

Sounds like a worth while meeting and fair play to people giving up their own time to make it happen.

Interesting points regarding the stadium and priory as it does sound like finally the council might just be coming round to helping the club out a bit more.

Very disappointing to hear the ultra's didn't bother turning up. That was the perfect opportunity to get things off their chest and get some answers but they didn't turn up. I'll have very little sympathy if they start moaning in future about the club ignoring them when they have in effect ignored the opportunity to have their say in a public forum.

Good to see the academy manager has good plans for the next generation coming through. Also good to see the new MD has recognised the marketing of the club being at an all time low and needs addressed urgently.

Back
Top Bottom