Oxford vaccine 70-90% effective

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
This is disappointing as the other two are 95%. But our one is cheaper and easier to store. But this is after I've dose, 90% after the second? As what rate is the current flu vaccine?

Did we go about it the right way, or should we have made a more expensive one with better results.

To me, I would rather have the others! 30% chance of won't work.

I feel a bit embarrassed, but this was years of work drivei in months.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so pessimistic about these results. As stated, with a low initial dose followed by a stronger, the results were up to 90%. More work required but this vaccine is cheaper, easier to store and transport and production is already underway. I would expect the data to improve as the knowledge gained is applied to the formula.
The miracle is that we have any kind of vaccine after such a short period of time.

Last edited:
This is disappointing as the other two are 95%. But our one is cheaper and easier to store. But this is after I've dose, 90% after the second? As what rate is the current flu vaccine?

Did we go about it the right way, or should we have made a more expensive one with better results.

To me, I would rather have the others! 30% chance of won't work.

I feel a bit embarrassed, but this was years of work drivei in months.
Why would you be embarrassed?

Maybe change the thread title to 90% effective and you won't feel so embarrassed?

If 70% of the population couldn’t catch/transmit Covid that would solve the problem wouldn’t it? Isn’t the flu vaccine only effective in a lower percentage than that?

What a stupid thing to say you are disappointed in an effective vaccine. This just shows you don't understand what you've read.

How about compare it to the flu vaccine efficacy and then see if you are still right to be "embarrassed "
[emoji849]

A 70% effectiveness rate rising to 90% after a second dose is stunning. You might want to look at the average effectiveness of the standard flu vaccine to get an idea of just how impressive this is, especially because until not even 12 months ago we didn’t even know what the hell this thing was. There isn’t an award or honour high enough for the scientists who have got us to this point at such a speed.

Apparently the fact that it is easier to store and transport means that this one is going to be far more useful in certain other parts of the world who cannot invest in facilities to keep vaccines at -70 degrees or whatever. So for those regions one that works at 70% is better than one that cannot be used at all.
There are a lot of people on this planet, so all of the different vaccines in development need to be used together to cover everyone and just because 'ours' won't necessarily be the most effective for 'us' doesn't mean that it isnt going to be a vital part of the global operation and be the most effective for someone....

The 70% figure is achieved by combining the lower test result (62%) with the higher result (90%) The media, God bless 'em, have picked up on 70% in order to have a story. Totally misleading.
The Oxford vaccine is as good as all the others in outcome, has no recorded side effects, is cheaper to produce, is easier to store and transport, and, of great significance, LESS vaccine is required to produce an effective outcome.

It really is a no brainer.

Maybe I jumped the gun after reading more than the brief BBC Breaking news story. But the opening sentences of "Triumph but disappointed" tainted my views!

The flu vaccine is between 40% & 70% effective, depending on the year. The Oxford vaccine is a game changer for the whole world because of its cost & ease of distribution. millions pre ordered. The new production site at Harrell is due to open next summer, this will also help vaccinate the whole world.

They could very easily have headlined with 90%, if the procedure is to have the half dose plus a full dose.
I was always under the impression that it needed 2 doses, like the other vaccines.

Would like to know what the rate of 1 dose is for the other two, if it gives any protection at all?

Back
Top Bottom