Matches Oxford v Sheff Wed Forum inspired Sellout?

Scotchegg

We've seem loads of posts talking about our attendance and atmosphere, and how both could be better.

So why not start 2022 with some real positivity. Let's use the power of this forum to not only sell out against Sheffield Wednesday in 3 weeks, but to help make it the best experience possible to keep those fans coming back.

Bring the kids, bring the wider family. Your mates, those you work with. The bloke in the pub who's always banging on about football but never goes to games. Those who went to games years ago but have lost the habit. Anyone and everyone let's pack out the stadium with fans new and old.

But we also want to get the place bouncing. Three weeks is a decent amount of time to look at organising a fans zone, or to get the new ultras on board with displays. But every one of us can help to make the atmosphere what it is once inside the ground. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. Didn't we once get "Jim Smiths Yellow Army" sung for hours away at Rushden?! When you get thousands of people together as one, then anything and everything is possible.

@Malc @eaststandboy and @SteMerritt - do you think we can drive this on here? @OUSP Secretary is there anything we can do to support a fans zone for this game? @Colin B fancy some dot counting to show progress?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also add that hopefully the covid situation will be much better by then. But of course there will be those who feel too vulnerable to attend in higher numbers and we may need to consider ways to support them too.

We've seem loads of posts talking about our attendance and atmosphere, and how both could be better.

So why not start 2022 with some real positivity. Let's use the power of this forum to not only sell out against Sheffield Wednesday in 3 weeks, but to help make it the best experience possible to keep those fans coming back.

Bring the kids, bring the wider family. Your mates, those you work with. The bloke in the pub who's always banging on about football but never goes to games. Those who went to games years ago but have lost the habit. Anyone and everyone let's pack out the stadium with fans new and old.

But we also want to get the place bouncing. Three weeks is a decent amount of time to look at organising a fans zone, or to get the new ultras on board with displays. But every one of us can help to make the atmosphere what it is once inside the ground. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. Didn't we once get "Jim Smiths Yellow Army" sung for hours away at Rushden?! When you get thousands of people together as one, then anything and everything is possible.

@Malc @eaststandboy and @SteMerritt - do you think we can drive this on here? @OUSP Secretary is there anything we can do to support a fans zone for this game? [B][I]@Colin B fancy some dot counting to show progress?[/I][/B]
I'm up for it!

@Malc @eaststandboy and @SteMerritt - do you think we can drive this on here? @OUSP Secretary is there anything we can do to support a fans zone for this game? @Colin B fancy some dot counting to show progress?
It was this sort of strategy that sold out Woking all those years ago.

I’ve got a few mates lined up for this one. I’m sure a really good atmosphere would make them return for more games.
One of the best atmospheres I can remember at Grenoble Road (that wasn’t a derby) is Luton at home, the first time we played them in the conference. The place was on fire with 11000 fans. The same again coupled with the magnificent football we’re privileged to watch at the moment could convert more casuals into regulars.

Tickets are now available to buy.
Sheff Wed will sell their allocation within days of going on sale.
COYYS

I’ve got a few mates lined up for this one. I’m sure a really good atmosphere would make them return for more games.
One of the best atmospheres I can remember at Grenoble Road (that wasn’t a derby) is Luton at home, the first time we played them in the conference. The place was on fire with 11000 fans. The same again coupled with the magnificent football we’re privileged to watch at the moment could convert more casuals into regulars.

The next home game after this will be Pompey so no reason why we can't aim to make it a double sell out!

The next home game after this will be Pompey so no reason why we can't aim to make it a double sell out!
Good point. Get them back whilst the memories are still fresh in the mind. I generally believe if we can get things right in the next few weeks we have a great chance of boosting our attendance figures. Pompey as well as Sheff Wed are the best fixtures we can offer to the causal football fan. Add a great experience into the mix and we’re onto a winner!

Tickets are now available to buy.
Sheff Wed will sell their allocation within days of going on sale.
COYYS
Any restrictions on buying tickets? If not, it’ll be a sell out with some very new faces in the home areas!

dunno if its still the case, but, in the early- mid 70s ,there was more than a few Sheffield Wed supporters based in and around the Banbury area

Some how we need to get those pesky kids hooked, it's no good bringing your next door neighbour who is an arm chair man u fan as they are unlikely to return unless its for free or we are in the Premier league. The youth of today is how we achieve building our local fanbase but I'm unsure £11 for an under 18 is grabbing them enough. That webbed feet lot down the a420 on the other hand is £6 for an u18 so you can see why they have more bums on seats currently.

Some how we need to get those pesky kids hooked, it's no good bringing your next door neighbour who is an arm chair man u fan as they are unlikely to return unless its for free or we are in the Premier league. The youth of today is how we achieve building our local fanbase but I'm unsure £11 for an under 18 is grabbing them enough. That webbed feet lot down the a420 on the other hand is £6 for an u18 so you can see why they have more bums on seats currently.
.... all relative .... or should that be related... in the land of inbreds n roundabouts

£6 for pub league footy is a bit steep imo

Some how we need to get those pesky kids hooked, it's no good bringing your next door neighbour who is an arm chair man u fan as they are unlikely to return

We can do both. Bring kids to a full house with a great atmosphere and we can grab them for life. Bring a mate who only ever watches PL on Sky and they might just get the bug too.

It all starts somewhere. Selling out against Sheffield Wednesday won't fix everything but it will show what is possible.

Ifollow is helping one kid in Perth to stay connected to the club, and maybe becoming a regular when he chooses to live a bit closer to the new stadium when he’s older.
At the moment the best he can do is rename the Bin on his computer “Swindon Town” (which I discovered yesterday!).

This is an excellent idea, kudos to Scotchers. I really hope we sell out and the atmosphere is greatly improved.

Yesterday was the first game for my father in law and nephew. Neither are avid football fans but both wanted to see what all the fuss was about. While they enjoyed the day and we’re not too disappointed by us not winning, I couldn’t help but sit in the SSU and have a feeling of bewilderment at the lack of atmosphere. On a number of occasions you could have heard a pin drop.

Without a greatly improved atmosphere I cannot foresee young kids becoming hooked. It’s an area that the club need to hone in on, in order to ensure excellent ideas like this one from Scorchers, do not become futile.

I mentioned in another thread, every single one of us in the ground needs to take a personal responsibility for making a racket. I think we’d all enjoy the match day experience, if a bit more eagerness was injected into making some noise.

Great idea! Success always brings in the crowds so positive results against Lincoln and Wycombe will certainly help attract the casual fan.

This is an excellent idea, kudos to Scotchers. I really hope we sell out and the atmosphere is greatly improved.

Yesterday was the first game for my father in law and nephew. Neither are avid football fans but both wanted to see what all the fuss was about. While they enjoyed the day and we’re not too disappointed by us not winning, I couldn’t help but sit in the SSU and have a feeling of bewilderment at the lack of atmosphere. On a number of occasions you could have heard a pin drop.

Without a greatly improved atmosphere I cannot foresee young kids becoming hooked. It’s an area that the club need to hone in on, in order to ensure excellent ideas like this one from Scorchers, do not become futile.

I mentioned in another thread, every single one of us in the ground needs to take a personal responsibility for making a racket. I think we’d all enjoy the match day experience, if a bit more eagerness was injected into making some noise.

How about a designated drummer at the top of the east stand to get the chants flowing, also how about printing a laminated card with the lyrics on like at church and give them every home supporter ? You will be amazed how many don't know the songs.

Club need to do their bit too to build up the atmosphere.

I might have mentioned that.............. :)

Anyway, it takes more than this forum, which the OUSP sees little point in engaging with, it requires the leverage/muscle of the Club itself to be more proactive. Something we are often told is "going to happen" but seems lethargic at present which is almost understandable with Covid etc.

Under 18`s for £5 would be a good start... 🤷‍♀️

How about a designated drummer at the top of the east stand to get the chants flowing, also how about printing a laminated card with the lyrics on like at church and give them every home supporter ? You will be amazed how many don't know the songs.

Club need to do their bit too to build up the atmosphere.

Get to feck with a "drummer"............

Back
Top Bottom