Matches Oxford v Sheff Wed Forum inspired Sellout?

This is an excellent idea, kudos to Scotchers. I really hope we sell out and the atmosphere is greatly improved.

Yesterday was the first game for my father in law and nephew. Neither are avid football fans but both wanted to see what all the fuss was about. While they enjoyed the day and we’re not too disappointed by us not winning, I couldn’t help but sit in the SSU and have a feeling of bewilderment at the lack of atmosphere. On a number of occasions you could have heard a pin drop.

Without a greatly improved atmosphere I cannot foresee young kids becoming hooked. It’s an area that the club need to hone in on, in order to ensure excellent ideas like this one from Scorchers, do not become futile.

I mentioned in another thread, every single one of us in the ground needs to take a personal responsibility for making a racket. I think we’d all enjoy the match day experience, if a bit more eagerness was injected into making some noise.
One thing that will definitely help the atmosphere against Sheffield Wednesday is the fact that they will sell out their allocation.

One thing that will definitely help the atmosphere against Sheffield Wednesday is the fact that they will sell out their allocation.
And some of our allocation as well judging by previous away sell outs. Difficult to stop it completely but annoying nonetheless.

How about a designated drummer at the top of the east stand to get the chants flowing, also how about printing a laminated card with the lyrics on like at church and give them every home supporter ? You will be amazed how many don't know the songs.

Club need to do their bit too to build up the atmosphere.
No drummer for me please. Hate them .

And some of our allocation as well judging by previous away sell outs. Difficult to stop it completely but annoying nonetheless.
Leyton Orient for instance.......and the Lee Steele cameo at the final whistle. No thank you very much.

In reality we only need at present another 3000 extra regulars based on the last two home support matches. Sheff Wed, Pompey and to some extent Bolton will sort out their part of the deal for sure but we are only talking about 3000 extras for the time being what with our present capacity. Unfortunately, yesterday's match was not to the faithful as it is part and parcel of going to watch OUFC regularly but it was I suppose a bit of an anti climax for the drifters, any newbies and to the consistent jonahs who still rear their ugly heads at OUFC from time to time.

The club playing at Wembley always guarantees 30k plus but taking away the day trippers, drifters, newbies, Jonahs and of course our regular 7k of home support their still has got to be at least 5k of lapsed, working on Saturday/Tuesday clientèle and others who regularly claim to be OUFC supporters out there who need to have their heads plugged in again to attend a bit more regularly. These must be the obvious for now targets who could come back and lend their voices. The untapped can be patiently targeted as they are the future for this club to grow organically regarding the new stadium etc etc. Support will grow with proper infanstrucure and things for fans to do beforehand.

I know I have mentioned this many times before about the biscuitmen from the backward bywaters of the a34/m4 but even though they are still not worthy of any credit they went from apathy at Elm Park disease to trebling their crowds with a new stadium bounce and to their (dis) credit they have kept the majority of their happy clappers tbf.

Nevertheless, when I from time to time ask our 'hidden' supporters on my travels why they are supporting the U's from their armchairs the answers I seem to get are in the majority feeble and one that with some club intervention could rekindle better than my direct 'you P**s me off...do you want a decent standard football club in your county or not stuff' which only pushes the prospective lapsed supporter further and deeper into their comfy beer laden armchairs. Tbh I've probably have had enough in my 50 years plus of banging the drum (and no I'm not) in cajoling support to loads of part time and lapsed supporters that many of my acquaintances these days steer well clear of me ....perhaps not surprising lol!

So, whilst many (supporters) can if fact drag a mate/matesse along for sure I do think some real professional promos will help build the crowds patiently for the future but it will still require help from the real week in week out supporters for any proper imput in getting ideas to fruition and this cannot always be just from the 'office based type' of advisory panels of comfortable rah rah rah people clapping their hands with soft velvety mittens. I believe it needs a strong club forum to be introduced that is read independently by club officials and each fan posting can be assured that their imput has been recognised and noted in one way or another. This way no one can fall short in being heard at least. I do believe the club does probably spend a little time searching through the yellows forum at times but choose to remain incognito. However, a club forum for imput to improve the support, atmosphere, offers and general wellbeing could well be a real winner all round. Yes, you'll probably get some right winging twatsters on board but if one top point happens per week then the improvement will be noticeable in just weeks.

In summing up on yet another long winded christenedinjericho forum post, I have probably done my bit over the years that I'm all but overcooked but I know that there are some absolutely top class OUFC supporters out there that the club could tap into these days for some real insight in getting people young and the old back into the habit of supporting this fabulous club much much more than we are doing today. The club probably has near on 30k's worth of 'support' still out there judging by the four attended Wembley appearances but we all know that they ain't coming regularly but they are still interested enough to engage during a working week in conversation on how the yellows are doing but the club even with the much improved performances of late cannot forcibly get these lapsed fans to leave their armchairs to come back regularly. We probably need the new ground to be announced for a bounce in confidence again but in the meantime we need a good concerted effort in getting 15/20% of the Wembley possee heading back through our turnstiles again asap.

But this post comes with a word of warning:- If we do not take up our home seats v Sheff Wednesday...then there might just be a wednesdayite sat next to you on the day holding your hand.

COYY'S

How about a designated drummer at the top of the east stand to get the chants flowing, also how about printing a laminated card with the lyrics on like at church and give them every home supporter ? You will be amazed how many don't know the songs.

No - utterly tinpot - MK Dons have one which tells you all you need to know.

But this post comes with a word of warning:- If we do not take up our home seats v Sheff Wednesday...then there might just be a wednesdayite sat next to you on the day holding your hand.

Not necessarily. 8200 were in attendance for the Shrewsbury v Sheffield Wednesday game today, Shrewsbury average home attendance is just over 5.5k so looks like with a few more day tippers being a Sunday little old sheffield didn't bring any more then 2k and hardly sold out all the remaining tickets in a stadium that holds 10k. Also Shrewsbury is 114 miles/ 2 hours 6 minutes by car compared to us which is 143 miles/ 2.5 hours so we are a little bit further for them to travel. Sheffield Wednesday have lost the last 2 games now and their fans aren't happy with Moore. No reason why we can't sell more to our day tippers and hit 9k home fans but maybe the club should go down the route of combining all 3 of the Sheffield/ Pompey and Bolton games with a slight discount if you buy all 3?

Wednesday sold out their 1,649 allocation at Shrewsbury.

FIGwilMXoAEcslO

A drummer? Nooooooo.

Just noticed we have no more night games at home this season, so no reason why we can’t aim to get a decent crowd in for all remaining home fixtures.

Cutting to the chase, is anyone considering bringing others to this game?

I'm hopefully bringing 4 others from work with beers in town afterwards. Spreading the word today, and potentially have another couple to add to our numbers if they can get a gate pass!

One of this is a lapsed supporter who was a regular in the late 80's and 90's, and one is a mate who has been to 4 games this season after I dragged him along to the Crewe game. 2 others went to the Rotherham and MK Dons games and loved it. The two potentials have never been to an Oxford game, but are warming to the idea of having a "second team".

There's absolutely no reason why they won't all become occasional fans or more, which considering that most had never gone to an Oxford game before is still a step in the right direction.

Just throwing an idea in to the pot to try and raise crowd input and noise - how about a well known song or a piece of music that is played over the tannoy? It could be just before kick off, when we score, half time etc.
There's the Sweet Caroline, We Will Rock you, etc which has a huge input from the crowd at several grounds - just a thought!

Just throwing an idea in to the pot to try and raise crowd input and noise - how about a well known song or a piece of music that is played over the tannoy? It could be just before kick off, when we score, half time etc.
There's the Sweet Caroline, We Will Rock you, etc which has a huge input from the crowd at several grounds - just a thought!

They use to do that at mk dons when they scored and they do it at spurs. I don't think the atmosphere needs work on when we score, its the rest of the game where its flat.

Cutting to the chase, is anyone considering bringing others to this game?

I'm hopefully bringing 4 others from work with beers in town afterwards. Spreading the word today, and potentially have another couple to add to our numbers if they can get a gate pass!

One of this is a lapsed supporter who was a regular in the late 80's and 90's, and one is a mate who has been to 4 games this season after I dragged him along to the Crewe game. 2 others went to the Rotherham and MK Dons games and loved it. The two potentials have never been to an Oxford game, but are warming to the idea of having a "second team".

There's absolutely no reason why they won't all become occasional fans or more, which considering that most had never gone to an Oxford game before is still a step in the right direction.
Day release?

I've taken U8 boys and parents from my sons team over a few matches and all of them have enjoyed it ( Fulham season tkt holders, Wyc season tkt holders as local and the usual big team supporters )and all have enjoyed it .
Three Oxford kits purchased ( worn on 8th birthday party by one who watches Wyc ) and other merchandise.
Fifa games they play as Oxford at times and know the players through them.
If they can get to 10 matches a season with Dads it all helps .

Back
Top Bottom