Matches Oxford v Sheff Wed Forum inspired Sellout?

We could be back to the stupid situation of a few hundred away fans sat in the home section because the home team has reduced the away capacity by a few hundred due to 'safety concerns'. We can't complain at Wycombe doing it, if the following week we do the same thing ourselves.
"We" haven't done it, the police have. It is TVP who have reduced Wednesday's allocation.

It will be interesting to see if any Wednesday fans manage to get tickets in the home ends. I assume they’ve sold all their allocation.
A few will, .... theres been more than a few occasions when OUFC away allocation has sold out over the years, where I ve known several supporters of te home side, and they've got me a ticket ( invariably with them) in a home area ..... I don't wear colours n I try to be respectful ( its not the 70s or 80s any more), I've not, as yet, had any 'issues' on the occasions when Ive been in home enclosures after OUFC allocation has sold out *..... its when away supporters rock up blatantly in the wrong (home) areas , then start giving it 'the big un', that's a different scenario

* Im not bothering with Wycombe away

A few will, .... theres been more than a few occasions when OUFC away allocation has sold out over the years, where I ve known several supporters of te home side, and they've got me a ticket ( invariably with them) in a home area ..... I don't wear colours n I try to be respectful ( its not the 70s or 80s any more), I've not, as yet, had any 'issues' on the occasions when Ive been in home enclosures after OUFC allocation has sold out *..... its when away supporters rock up blatantly in the wrong (home) areas , then start giving it 'the big un', that's a different scenario

And I’m not bothering with away matches at the moment until Covid is more manageable

Mum has done Wycombe a few times in the wrong end (she has a friend who is a Wycombe fan), she was there for the 0-0 when Akinfenwe had a goal ruled out in the last minute, she said it was the most hilarious thing she'd seen in ages, the Wycombe fans went nuts :ROFLMAO: She was also there for Wycombe 0 Oxford 3 in the Checkatrade, and said it was REALLY difficult to keep quiet. Not sure I'd want to watch an Oxford game in with the other team's fans.

Mum has done Wycombe a few times in the wrong end (she has a friend who is a Wycombe fan), she was there for the 0-0 when Akinfenwe had a goal ruled out in the last minute, she said it was the most hilarious thing she'd seen in ages, the Wycombe fans went nuts :ROFLMAO: She was also there for Wycombe 0 Oxford 3 in the Checkatrade, and said it was REALLY difficult to keep quiet. Not sure I'd want to watch an Oxford game in with the other team's fans.
it aint easy

"We" haven't done it, the police have. It is TVP who have reduced Wednesday's allocation.
Silly question, but I wonder why TVP have reduced Wednesday allocation. SW operate a points based system for allocating away tickets. To get a ticket for an allocation of say 2,000, a supporter would require points accumulated from:-
  • Holding a season ticket, and,
  • Having attended nearly every away game for the last two years (or currently last 46 away games)
With this criteria you are not going to get many hooligans. Also with such a system surely SW could request details of any person arrested at their away game and withdraw their name from the away fans points database.

In the late 90s, I always used to watch our games at Portman Road in the home end. I lived in the area, a family friend was a big Ipswich fan and I was a skint student so a free ticket to an Oxford game was always welcome.

I reckon it's nigh-on impossible to do it incognito. We're just programmed to react in some way to an Oxford goal, it's in our blood....and if that doesn't give it away, then failing to cheer and clap for a home goal surely will!

But the late 90s was when Ipswich had Kieron Dyer and we had Kevin Francis and Brian Wilsterman......so we got crushed each and every time I went. Made things easier....no trouble at all, just a bunch of friendly tractor boys laughing at you. A 90th minute winner at the Den might be a different story!

Did it at Luton in 1987 as away fans banned. Behaved impeccably and had the home fans fooled until Saunders headed a late winner to keep us up. Luckily we weren't the only Oxford fans in that section of the main stand that night.

We've seem loads of posts talking about our attendance and atmosphere, and how both could be better.

So why not start 2022 with some real positivity. Let's use the power of this forum to not only sell out against Sheffield Wednesday in 3 weeks, but to help make it the best experience possible to keep those fans coming back.

Bring the kids, bring the wider family. Your mates, those you work with. The bloke in the pub who's always banging on about football but never goes to games. Those who went to games years ago but have lost the habit. Anyone and everyone let's pack out the stadium with fans new and old.

But we also want to get the place bouncing. Three weeks is a decent amount of time to look at organising a fans zone, or to get the new ultras on board with displays. But every one of us can help to make the atmosphere what it is once inside the ground. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. Didn't we once get "Jim Smiths Yellow Army" sung for hours away at Rushden?! When you get thousands of people together as one, then anything and everything is possible.

@Malc @eaststandboy and @SteMerritt - do you think we can drive this on here? @OUSP Secretary is there anything we can do to support a fans zone for this game? @Colin B fancy some dot counting to show progress?

I’m bringing 3 extra in the East Stand!

How about a designated drummer at the top of the east stand to get the chants flowing, also how about printing a laminated card with the lyrics on like at church and give them every home supporter ? You will be amazed how many don't know the songs.

Club need to do their bit too to build up the atmosphere.

No. Just. No. Dear. Lord. No.

Did it at Luton in 1987 as away fans banned. Behaved impeccably and had the home fans fooled until Saunders headed a late winner to keep us up. Luckily we weren't the only Oxford fans in that section of the main stand that night.
The 3-2 to keep us up, blowing a 2-0 lead in the last 5 mins... Classic match.

Maybe getting the wifi signal at the breeze block turbo charged (especially on matchdays) would be a good move? Waiting to go through the turnstiles yesterday, fella in front of me, with 3 youngsters with him, took nigh on 5 minutes to have all 4 of his electronic 'tickets' verified and read....a combination of his device and the tunstile operators reading device both struggling with the minimal/ poor wifi signal ...if that issue was simultaneously happening at the same time, at every turnstile thats quite a lengthy, and IMO avoidable delay gaining entry to a home match. .. its not too much to ask to have a better /more stable/ boosted wifi signal there at the breeze block on matchdays is it @OUSP Secretary ?

Sarge - you can download them before you get to the game!

They did, for a short time, although used a snare drum instead of a bass drum as it sounded more natural and like clapping as opposed to some dickhead that got a drumset for Christmas a la Fleetwood, Lincoln etc.

IIRC it worked quite well and wasn't too insulting to the ears.

Placement of fans in the East Stand is the main problem. I think until we have the ability to make an unreserved section with tickets for fans who are actively going to be singing and helping start the chants like block 21 at Crystal Palace or the North Curve Celts/Green Brigade at Celtic we'll struggle. I don't think it takes too much of a genius to work out that those starting the chants yesterday were primarily the people that have been doing so for the last 10 years or so.

I haven't noticed a drastic improvement in the last few games since this supposed Ultras 2.0 started up - flags +/- atmosphere. Just seems a bit "all fart, no poo" to me and another group of kids on twitter who have no real idea how to mobilise or organise enough people to make a real difference (unfortunately). I really hope this changes as this team deserves so much better, but these groups need to be more than a few mates shouting about it on twitter to gain traction.

Great motivational talk there!

Maybe getting the wifi signal at the breeze block turbo charged (especially on matchdays) would be a good move? Waiting to go through the turnstiles yesterday, fella in front of me, with 3 youngsters with him, took nigh on 5 minutes to have all 4 of his electronic 'tickets' verified and read....a combination of his device and the tunstile operators reading device both struggling with the minimal/ poor wifi signal ...if that issue was simultaneously happening at the same time, at every turnstile thats quite a lengthy, and IMO avoidable delay gaining entry to a home match. .. its not too much to ask to have a better /more stable/ boosted wifi signal there at the breeze block on matchdays is it @OUSP Secretary ?
Sorry - forgot to get back to you (oddly been a bit busy...) The club is in discussion with service providers to enhance the wifi (drives them nuts too).

Great motivational talk there!

Sorry, what did you want me to say; I think the atmosphere has been the best it's been for the first time in 3 years and wish the Ultras had gone sooner?

I'm not saying that it's not admirable what they've tried to do, but there's a very small cohort of fans on Twitter where it all started and I imagine the vast majority that are aren't willing just to rock up to the back of the East Stand pushing STH out of their seats to join an unofficial singing section. Would ruffle too many feathers which is why the club won't do it either. Is it one of the reasons preventing me and my friends doing the same? Absolutely. Is it the only reason it's not quite worked? Certainly not.

I’ve been on the terrace behind the goal at wycombe. I needed a lift and a ticket so went with a Wycombe friend of mine from south London .

I enjoyed starting a few anti Oxford songs, giving Beano s**t at corners , and chatting to my fellow chairboys around me at half time. I recall explaining that although I hated Oxford it was hard not to be impressed by their fans

Meanwhile my wycombe friend, who is also an ar53hole like me, enjoyed asking me questions about my favoured wycombe reserve and youth team players for the future

Last edited:
Chelsea away - 1988 - terracing closed due to misbehaviour, about 20 of us were in the Matthew Harding stand when Leworthy scored.............. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Trying to convince the brother-in-law and nephew to come along to the SWFC game but will need to go in the posh seats!

I was sat in the North stand at Fratton when we beat the 4:1 the other season. They scored 1st i just sat there, no reaction. we equalize again no reaction from me,
we go 2:1 up a discrete fist pump and a disguised yes. 3:1 up a proper yes and a get in you beauty, 4:1 and up on my feet yesssssssss my pompey supporting mate walked away from me at that point and so did a lot of other pompey fans. Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom