Match Buildup Oxford v POSH build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t a expect a game of free flowing football, 40+ mph winds forecast for Saturday.

I’d go a step further and say THE best ever.

Hebberd was a majestic footballer and to this day remains my favourite ever Oxford player.
Mine too.
His awareness on the pitch was fantastic. And the way he moved elegantly and at speed and with apparently limitless energy (hence Nijinsky) was so impressive.
My favourite Hebberd moment (after the 86 goal) was when he was filling in at centre back at the Manor and we were defending the London Road end. Can't remember who against. Just before going in for a sliding tackle he looked up to spot the pass he would make after he won the ball. He won the ball (of course) and pinged it to set us on the attack. Sheer class!

S remember that
Mine too.
His awareness on the pitch was fantastic. And the way he moved elegantly and at speed and with apparently limitless energy (hence Nijinsky) was so impressive.
My favourite Hebberd moment (after the 86 goal) was when he was filling in at centre back at the Manor and we were defending the London Road end. Can't remember who against. Just before going in for a sliding tackle he looked up to spot the pass he would make after he won the ball. He won the ball (of course) and pinged it to set us on the attack. Sheer class!
For those of a certain age... I always remember that The Sunday Times (Brian Glanville) wrote... 'Trevor Hebberd of Oxford United should be in the squad instead of Peter Reid of Everton. Hebberd is quicker and a better footballer'.... And the squad? England World Cup 1986. So.. instead of Reid chugging after Maradona for his second goal, it would have been Trevor, who would have caught him... we would have beaten Argentina. And then won the World Cup. Almost certainly!! For those who never saw Hebberd, best player I have ever seen play for us. By miles!

When Trevor first came to us, we all thought he was crap, as a forward. then he went midfield and became one of my favourite players.
My best U's team ever would look like this:
Burton
Langan
McDonald
Roberts
Elliott
Hebberd
Houghton
Beauchamp
Curran
Aldridge
Hamilton

One of the best 5 players to ever play for the club in my view.
And what a goal in 86.
To be fair, wasn’t there an element of luck about the Wembley goal (did it go through the defender’s legs?)? Or is old age clouding the memories?! Certainly a great player though. Lovely to watch.

Hebberd was a majestic footballer and to this day remains my favourite ever Oxford player.
Maybe, but I would have Aldridge as the best ever.
30+ goals a season and proved later that he was bordering world class (continuing to get 30 a season with Liverpool)
Hebberd was brilliant for us but I suspect that without Aldridge we wouldn't have has half the success we had.

Maybe, but I would have Aldridge as the best ever.
30+ goals a season and proved later that he was bordering world class (continuing to get 30 a season with Liverpool)
Hebberd was brilliant for us but I suspect that without Aldridge we wouldn't have has half the success we had.
Ah yes.
Interesting dilemma ... best Oxford player or best player to have played for Oxford. In the latter category ... Colin Todd?

He will always be remembered for the League Cup Final. However, a season earlier it was his majestic performance and goal (or was it two?) against Man City at the Manor (3-0 win) that got our promotion run back on track just as it looked like faltering. A massive game and the sort he just seemed to relish. And I agree, that telescopic leg if his would definitely have nicked the ball off Maradona!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom