Oxford v Leeds 1984/85

Yep, a team full of confidence. But also full of very good footballers - and the fear of having to explain yourself to the two centre halves if you didn't put in a shift!

5-2 that day.
Next home game Charlton 5-0,
Next home game Cardiff 4-0
Next home game (3 days later) Crystal Palace 5-0
Those were the days !

P.S. People use lack of disposal income as an excuse for fans not attending.
This was the 1980's of 2 million people unemployed.
The 2 games against Cardiff and Palace,on Boxing day and the 29th of December,attracted just under 24,000.

Yep, I think the disposable income is a bit of a red herring at times. People aren’t going to sway games not only because of the ground but because the football has been pretty crap to put it politely.

You put a string of results like that together and you will have people turning up. People don’t bother if they think it’s going to be a loss/boring draw unless they really do support the team.

We’ve shot ourselves in the foot plenty of times over the last 6-7 seasons where we’ve had some good crowds and then put in an abject performanc. Surprise surprise those people then don’t turn up the following week.

Yep, I think the disposable income is a bit of a red herring at times. People aren’t going to sway games not only because of the ground but because the football has been pretty crap to put it politely.

You put a string of results like that together and you will have people turning up. People don’t bother if they think it’s going to be a loss/boring draw unless they really do support the team.

We’ve shot ourselves in the foot plenty of times over the last 6-7 seasons where we’ve had some good crowds and then put in an abject performanc. Surprise surprise those people then don’t turn up the following week.

The demographic of people attending matches in the 80s is also much different to today. Nowadays it's all about attracting families - so imo the disposable income point IS relevant.

Just checked on rage and our average attendance for 84-85 was higher than our average attendance for 85-86 in what is now the EPL. In fact our average attendances fell by 1,000 a season for the 3 seasons we were in the old top division. That kind of backs up the point that people will come when we are playing well / winning but won't when we aren't.

• React
Reactions: UTM
The demographic of people attending matches in the 80s is also much different to today. Nowadays it's all about attracting families - so imo the disposable income point IS relevant.

Just checked on rage and our average attendance for 84-85 was higher than our average attendance for 85-86 in what is now the EPL. In fact our average attendances fell by 1,000 a season for the 3 seasons we were in the old top division. That kind of backs up the point that people will come when we are playing well / winning but won't when we aren't.
Yep I've always been of the opinion that it almost doesn't matter what league you are playing in - if you are winning then the crowds will come, if you're not then they won't.

In the 80’s admission was about a fiver for a terrace view. Seats if wanted were about 3 quid more. We treated ourselves to really good seats for the Milk Cup final - £14 each. Seemed like a fortune!

The advent of all seater stadia bumped up the price for people who previously favoured standing too.

I think proportionally it is more expensive nowadays.

Attendances were very low in that era, for a variety of reasons including, poor stadia, hooliganism, lack of disposable income, poor national PR toward the game, a Government that thought every fan was a hooligan, membership schemes etc etc etc. All of which are debatable as to which are most relevant.

What is indisputable, though, is that we were very very good at almost exactly the wrong time, in terms of maximising our fanbase. To add a little perspective, our eleven thousand and odd, when in the top division, represented the 25th best supported club in the country. To be 25th today you would need an average attendance of 20,000/22,000.

That's off the top of my head, but there are loads of interesting statistics relating to 80s attendances that I could post (maybe will) when I've got more time.

Attendances were very low in that era, for a variety of reasons including, poor stadia, hooliganism, lack of disposable income, poor national PR toward the game, a Government that thought every fan was a hooligan, membership schemes etc etc etc. All of which are debatable as to which are most relevant.

What is indisputable, though, is that we were very very good at almost exactly the wrong time, in terms of maximising our fanbase. To add a little perspective, our eleven thousand and odd, when in the top division, represented the 25th best supported club in the country. To be 25th today you would need an average attendance of 20,000/22,000.

That's off the top of my head, but there are loads of interesting statistics relating to 80s attendances that I could post (maybe will) when I've got more time.
And we had to watch our team through a metal cage(fence)

Watched this last night and can clearly remember being in the crowd at the time, what a team that was! the commentary said that was our 18th home league game unbeaten, put's into perspective what we've achieved this season. and the pitch bloody hell you'd be lucky to find a blade of grass in the goalmouths and centre circle

Just checked the table from that year, promoted with us were Birmingham and Man City, Wolves were relegated. I'm pretty sure I went to Wolves away that year, we had to win to go up if they lost they were down, huge following from Oxford that day.

My memory's of that season are singing score in a minute we're guna score in a minute BEFORE KICKOFF.

I wonder at what point the camera man stopped filming

If there was VAR then I think Aldo would of got sent off as well.

And definitely , as been said football is more for families with money , the 80s attendances was more relevant to your normal younger working man. Who would work all week and off Up The Manor after a few pints and let off a bit of steam.
But did not know we was the 25th best supported club then.

As a young un had that eerie walk in the dark towards the coach in Headley way that always parked with the visiting fans back then but never once had a problem.
I remember parking in the JR and after the game the Reading fans aided by Chelsea of course running amok in the hospital grounds and the nice Gentlemen on horse back chasing them right by where we was parked, some thought about having a go until one said "leave it they got kids" so respected them for that.

In the 80’s admission was about a fiver for a terrace view. Seats if wanted were about 3 quid more. We treated ourselves to really good seats for the Milk Cup final - £14 each. Seemed like a fortune!

The advent of all seater stadia bumped up the price for people who previously favoured standing too.

I think proportionally it is more expensive nowadays.
Surely it was cheaper than that in the early 80s I'm sure it was £1.15 when I started gojng in 1982

Ah the red Osler ticket, think that allowed you through to the section by the away seating didn't it? From what I remember there were blue tickets which were for the first section of the stand only, LRT end.

Shame they put that stand in by the Cuckoo Lane corner. We used to like the “exchanges” with visiting fans from there!

But the fact that more games became all ticket in the top flight and pre internet that made a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom