Oxford Utd v Wycombe Wdrs This Saturday...

Wycombe's main rivals are Colchester. When they were both in the conference in the early 90s, they finished the season on the same number of points, but Colchester were promoted as champions due to a superior goal difference. There were no play-offs in those days so Wycombe missed out. I think they easily won promotion the next season. However, Wycombe v Colchester isn't a derby, they are just rivals due to their history.

I think some people confuse rivalry with derby when they are really two distinct things. A derby is a game between two rivals who are geographically close. Oxford v Wycombe is a derby, it's just not a particularly important one to us as the rivalry isn't that big. It's when there's a big rivalry at a derby game that it means the most to fans. Take Liverpool for instance. Their biggest derby match is against Everton, but their biggest rivals are Man Utd.

Couldn't give a s**t about them. Take the 3 points off them and get them relegated so they can play there proper rivals next season.

You know your irrelevant club when your striker is more famous then your whole club.

So the Oxford dictionary says:

Derby = A sports match between two rival teams from the same area
Rival = A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Therefore according to the definitions of our venerable local institution - the Wycombe game is a derby. It's just not one we care about all that much (other than we want those three points so we can all relax...…)

???
A few seasons ago (when wwfc basically lied on social media- blaming tvp for not allowing more away tickets, when it was wwfc with input from ainsworth refusing addition tickets for oufcs visit, i think?) they were trying to ramp up the game by calling oufc noisey neighbours....despite limiting oufc support to only behind the goal in a 3/4 empty ground we won that one at adams park

So the Oxford dictionary says:

Derby = A sports match between two rival teams from the same area
Rival = A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Therefore according to the definitions of our venerable local institution - the Wycombe game is a derby. It's just not one we care about all that much (other than we want those three points so we can all relax...…)
If you have to use a dictionary to define it,then its not a derby!

I sat with the Wycombe fans at the September game. Friendly enough but fundamentally clueless about football. I consider them to be the Tranmere Rovers to our Liverpool. They don’t like Mous because he bombed them out.

Ainsworth continues to wind up the M40 El Clasico clock but we’re not having it. Good.

Back
Top Bottom