Oxford United's first Wembley appearance

sideshowrob

Here is a trivia quiz question. The 1986 Milk Cup Final was not Oxford United's first appearance at Wembley Stadium. What was it?

Edit - Rageonline claims that this game took place at Wembley. Wikipedia says it was at Griffin Park which does seem more plausable. It was an FA Cup 1st round second replay. Can someone who went or maybe knew someone who went clear up this controversy?

Last edited:
Was the 5-a-side/6-a-side competition we won (shown on TV) around that time at Wembley Arena? I have a vague recollection that it was but have nothing to base this on.

Was the 5-a-side/6-a-side competition we won (shown on TV) around that time at Wembley Arena? I have a vague recollection that it was but have nothing to base this on.
Guinness soccer sixes competition wasnt it?

cant remember if that was the season before or after winning the Milk cup?

Yep. The 5-a-side competition was at Wembley Arena. The Guinness Soccer Sixes we won the following year was at GMex in Manchester.

Here is a trivia quiz question. The 1986 Milk Cup Final was not Oxford United's first appearance at Wembley Stadium. What was it?

Edit - Rageonline claims that this game took place at Wembley. Wikipedia says it was at Griffin Park which does seem more plausable. It was an FA Cup 1st round second replay. Can someone who went or maybe knew someone who went clear up this controversy?
Every source (except RageOnline) says Griffin Park...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/4878696.Chelmsford_won_sixties_FA_Cup_epic/

Thanks for that. Did a search on Youtube and it didn't bring anything up. :(

That really was like a kick about down the Sports Centre with your mates (except higher quality). Plenty of players I had forgotten even existed such as Ian Allinson, Michael Thomas, Jesper Olsen and Roy Wegerle.

Tommy Caton RIP.

Yep. The 5-a-side competition was at Wembley Arena. The Guinness Soccer Sixes we won the following year was at GMex in Manchester.
Cheers @myles :)...my memory ain't what it was at times.....travelling 'home' internet access (to check) sporadic at best:confused:

I was at the Wembley 5 a sides, mainly cos I thought at least I could say I'd seen Oxford play at Wembley, obviously a few months later we won the Milk Cup ?

Last edited:
I was at the Wembley 5 a sides, mainly cos I thought at least I could say I'd seen Oxgord play at Wembley, obviously a few months later we won the Milk Cup ?

You've got Melons man.

***Goes and gets his coat and leaves***

Back
Top Bottom