Oxford United Women

Scotchegg

12 nil up after 36 minutes this afternoon.

From the youth, the ladies, the first team, everything on and off the pitch with Oxford is firing right now!

With 20 minutes to go, the ladies are 23-0 up.

I reckon they might just scrape through.

It ended 32-0

I agree with Berliner, I'm not sure teams of such (obviously) vastly different standards is a particularly good thing.

Finished 32 nil!!

I know that isn't reflective of most games, but just pointing out that things are looking good across all age ranges and with OUWFC too.

Makes the men’s senior toll of 50 husks to date look pathetic.

Overall this sort of result is a bad thing for women’s football. Not sure how low you’d have to go before you’d find a team that Oxford Utd men would beat 32-0 (apart from Swindon maybe ?)

In fairness this game was the equivalent of our 1st team playing a Sunday league team so it's a little unfair to berate women's football on this game alone. We should be comfortably winning this competition every season, as we did last season (our first back in the competition since dropping from WSL).

You can only beat the opposition in front of you and to be fair to them today despite being hammered every member of the team continued to encourage their team mates and play with a smile on their face, can you imagine many Sunday league men's teams doing that? They realised from the outset they had no chance but chose to enjoy the experience instead of losing the plot.

For those with a low opinion of women's football how about you get yourselves to an OUWFC game before judging it, £2 for season tickets holders so good value for money too.

Not going to be pc, but women's football :unsure:
I’m with you. I just can’t get excited about it.

I can’t really get excited by men’s international football either unless it is the finals of a competition.

The problem is, more and more footy is being shoved down our throats and I’ve only got time for the games which interest me, so it’s top six premiership and the football league only for me.

Overall this sort of result is a bad thing for women’s football. Not sure how low you’d have to go before you’d find a team that Oxford Utd men would beat 32-0 (apart from Swindon maybe ?)

I agree it's doesn't look particularly good for the game, especially without any context.

For anyone unfamiliar with the structure of women's football.

• WSL
• Championship
• FAWNL Northern/Southern Premier [OUWFC]
• FAWNL Division One North/Midlands/South East/South West
• Southern Region Women's Football League Premier [Oxford City, Abingdon United]
• Southern Region Women's Football League Division One South [Abingdon Town]
• Thames Valley Counties Division 1
• Thames Valley Counties Division 2
• Thames Valley Counties Division 3 North/South/East [Launton]

I only included those in our area or relevant to my point/this result. Tier 3 vs 9.

Unfortunately, County Cup competitions tend to throw up these kind of results in women's football - Wolves won 21-0, Ipswich 17-0, Long Eaton 16-0, etc.

I’m with you. I just can’t get excited about it.

I can’t really get excited by men’s international football either unless it is the finals of a competition.

The problem is, more and more footy is being shoved down our throats and I’ve only got time for the games which interest me, so it’s top six premiership and the football league only for me.

You enjoy watching the top of the Premier League? ?

In fairness this game was the equivalent of our 1st team playing a Sunday league team so it's a little unfair to berate women's football on this game alone.
I don't think anyone was berating women's football as a whole, that certainly wasn't my intention if you took it that way. I'm glad that the losing team took it in good part - or else being on the end of such a ridiculous scoreline could well discourage them from bothering and that would be awful.
While women's football at the higher levels is making great strides, it's obvious that the strength in depth isn't there yet (given this and some other recent results).

It’s not berating anyone, just pointing out the facts as they currently are, and saying that we certainly shouldn’t be crowing about this result if we’re fans of OUWFC as overall it’s not a good thing for them. Would the men’s team beat a team from the 9th tier 32-0? Certainly not. And if a ‘pub team’ ever did get to play a League 1 first team then they probably would be smiling.

West Ham only fielded 4 substitutes in a top league women’s game against Man City the other day. Until things like that and 32-0 scorelines stop happening then I don’t think women’s football can move forward. But it’s a process, I understand that.

I never intended to suggest either of your 2 posts were berating women's football but a couple were hence my comment.

I was hoping to make it down to CPF for yesterdays OUWFC match yesterday..... ended up I couldnt make it, shame really, as an additional 32 goals on top of the 9 scored by U18s & U16s I did get to see on Saturday wouldve been great to watch.... heres hoping the first team do a similar (demolition) job at Southend against a team managed by the self proclaimed best footballing brain

Its good being an OUFC supporter at the moment, with OUFC teams at all levels, firing on all cylinders :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom