General Oxford United - Reasons to be cheerful!

Come on, it's can't only be me that has a cup half full!

Let's focus on the positives.

Shirts. The home shirt is nice, but the away is the best kit we've had in a long time and we always seem to play better in all white. Also I love the fact that we have reproduced the 85/86 Wang shirt and the '93 shirt for retro lovers. Hope this continues into coming seasons with one or two additions each year.

Over to you!

But we have 6 home games in Feb!! ?.

None of the players are that good looking (apart from Ruffels) so you don’t feel bad about yourself when you go to games

In the long run of things, we’re not going to get smaller. Oxford is a thriving city, the wider region is growing steadily, our fan base will expand and more people will come. Plus we have global name recognition. It’s not like we’re a dying steel town or coal mining area, although I guess in those places there is nothing else to do but follow football. At some point I think the stars will align and we’ll become a bigger fish.

There's an awful lot of positives. There genuinely is.

But it's easy to lose sight of all the good work, with a couple of disingenuous comments that irk loyal supporters and make people question.

The team is fantastic. The squad is very very good.
We're seeing players individually develop in front of our eyes.
Sam Long is better than Cadden according to the Radio Ox phone-in. I don't agree but you're not allowed to be in the grey when only black or white is acceptable.
Sam Long is a valuable member of this squad and has played exceptionally well when called upon.
We play brilliant, football, out from the back with pace and purpose.
The club have made a real effort to sort out their relationship with StadCo, Doyle and Kassam.
We're seeing lots of commercial improvements.
We have shinny training ground and facility many would be proud of.
We've cashed in on Shandon and his glass body at a time where there is no guarantee he'll make it at the top level.

There's an awful lot of positives. There genuinely is.

But it's easy to lose sight of all the good work, with a couple of disingenuous comments that irk loyal supporters and make people question.

The team is fantastic. The squad is very very good.
We're seeing players individually develop in front of our eyes.
Sam Long is better than Cadden according to the Radio Ox phone-in. I don't agree but you're not allowed to be in the grey when only black or white is acceptable.
Sam Long is a valuable member of this squad and has played exceptionally well when called upon.
We play brilliant, football, out from the back with pace and purpose.
The club have made a real effort to sort out their relationship with StadCo, Doyle and Kassam.
We're seeing lots of commercial improvements.
We have shinny training ground and facility many would be proud of.
We've cashed in on Shandon and his glass body at a time where there is no guarantee he'll make it at the top level.

What about cup runs that were non existent 5 years ago, players being sold for 7 figures (another thing that was unheard of) highest league position in over 20 odd years and increased home attendances?

Last edited:
The one thing that I am really hopeful of is the development of some cracking young players from our academy.
There is a clear strategy from that perspective.
But.... the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and whether it is successful will depend on how well players like Jones, Lopes, Spadov, Goodrham, Smith, Elechi and hopefully many more are.

And a manager who has arguably surpassed Appleton
Players like Browne seem to really trust KR in getting their careers back on track.
He clearly had a difficult period at Middlesbrough, but came back to Oxford and genuinely seems to immediately be enjoying himself ( and what a cracking player)

So update and add a few more...
Calendar year champions 2019
Best home form in years
Most clean sheets across all 4 divisions (unless that’s just changed)
And agree, best away kit in history ;)

Behave. Appleton gave us our own cup runs / giant killing moments, two Wembley finals and a promotion while playing superb football. Every bit as good as we’ve seen this season - 15/16 was the finest any of us had seen since the 95/96 campaign. We might be moving in a positive direction and enjoying some very good moments, but to say Appleton’s achievements might have already been surpassed by two mid-table finishes and a current position of eighth - the same position Appleton took us to at the end of the first season back in L1 - is ridiculous.

People’s eagerness to forget the great times Appleton ended up giving us astounds me. It is possible to support the current regime without trying so hard to put past ones in the bin.

People’s eagerness to forget the great times Appleton ended up giving us astounds me. It is possible to support the current regime without trying so hard to put past ones in the bin.

Whilst I agree with your overall point - Appleton being the best manager in my lifetime as an Oxford fan. I think the guy was only trying to add something positive to a thread of positives, rather than dismissing Appletons achievements in yellow.

Just for those who missed the key word!!

The whole point of the thread was to look at positives and arguably if promoted then Robinson would have surpassed Appleton, but we're not there yet.

Robinson has achieved our current position whilst also driving through changes at pretty much every level of the club. Youth development is better than it's ever been and there is a clear route into the first team when players are ready. He is supporting the sustainability of our club by helping our stars of the future whilst also developing genuine saleable assets.

Appleton was great, and his team won't be ignored or forgotten, but we have a manager who could do even more and that deserves acknowledgement.

So for any of us contemplating the grim prospect of that lot from Wiltshire getting promoted and us missing out;

We can at least look forward to next season with the prospect of 2 local derbies and a nailed on 6 points before it even starts.

Back
Top Bottom