Local News Oxford Mail subscriptions

Will you subscribe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
I read that the Oxford Mail are introducing digital subscriptions. Lighter adverts and no story cap per month, currently 40 for non-subscribers.

This went down pretty badly on Facebook and Oxford Mail took offence to one post and really went to town on him, totally over reacted, unprofessionally.

The guy was stating how poorly and inaccurate articles are. Which I agree with. It seems to have gotten worse in the last 2-3 years.

I said back then I would happily pay for content, it's important to a have local news, but now I don't think it's value for money.

Views?

Assuming they are part of Newsquest? I wouldn`t pay for it if someone gave me the money to do so!
Our local rag the Leicester Mercury seems to think journalism is trawling Faceache groups for clickbait stories.
They certainly don`t like the word "clickbait", having been banned on numerous occassions for pointing out the stories are either completely fake or nothing to do with the City or County.
There is a place for proper local journalism but the day of local newspapers is long gone and the same can be said for many of the Nationals.

I registered to increase the number of “free” stories , it a mess when logging in , so would I pay real money for this not sure which in some ways is a pity as I think that local press ought to be an asset to all of us

What the Oxford Mail do will is the coverage of OUFC and local sports in general.

I have the OM delivered in paper form.... agree with @Eaststandboy ... OM does do OUFC & local sport coverage well

I remember the phrase from a few years ago.............. "Newspapers, yesterdays news and tomorrows chip paper".
I can`t see any reason other than habit and tradition to have a physical paper.

Habitual and traditional yep

shall we cease printing newspapers, magazines and books .... as only old people read them? ;)

Habitual and traditional yep

shall we cease printing newspapers, magazines and books .... as only old people read them? ;)
Why buy vinyl when you can stream music? There is just something about handling something physical isn't there. Putting a record on a turntable is always more of an event than opening Spotify and hitting 'random'. I still have the same magazine subscription that I've had for 25 years, much prefer the actual paper than converting to an electronic version.

Why buy vinyl when you can stream music? There is just something about handling something physical isn't there. Putting a record on a turntable is always more of an event than opening Spotify and hitting 'random'. I still have the same magazine subscription that I've had for 25 years, much prefer the actual paper than converting to an electronic version.
Exactly - well put @SteMerritt

I have changed my reading habit of a lifetime. , I used to visit bury knowledge library on a weekly basis , over the last couple of years I have moved to kindle for my reading, also use the library on line service as well, when I can get out again I will go back to bury knowle as I still like to hold a book

I have have hit my monthly news quota, meaning no news for me until it's refreshed.

I remember the phrase from a few years ago.............. "Newspapers, yesterdays news and tomorrows chip paper".
I can`t see any reason other than habit and tradition to have a physical paper.
I agree, picking a morning paper up either on the way to work or to muse over with your sunday morning coffee are long gone for me. When you get used to reading the news digitally on your iphone they become obsolete. Who remembers frantically waiting for a day old english newspaper while on holiday in Greece to see how the mighty yellows had got on?! Now while on holiday I listen to the match commentary. I kinda miss those old days....

Shall we all have a guess at what that ‘magazine subscription’ is...? ?

I only visit the ox mail online for oufc content but for the last few years it's all out of date news. Articles written up from radio and ifollow interviews. This will have the same effect as when they changed the forum and we all facked off somewhere else

I get most news online anyway, but it’s not the same as a paper. The first problem is a dearth of centre-left print media in Australia. I’ve always liked a weekend paper, and tried with both the Weekend Australian (reactionary shite) and the West Australian (celeb and cat-in-tree shite), but couldn’t keep my blood pressure down. Now I get “The Saturday Paper” which is quite “lefty metropolitan elite” but it’s mostly too “worthy” for me. Feeling guilty about not paying for quality news, I paid a subscription for gruaniad Australia online for a while but, but the online format is such a different thing to the paper that you can lazily leaf through and leave around on the sofa to stumble across later.

Back
Top Bottom