Local News Oxford Mail subscriptions

Will you subscribe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So how many of you follow the Oxford mail football twitter or read the articles online , but won’t pay a few quid a month to pay the journalists ?
I guess you do then? Do you think it's value for money?

So how many of you follow the Oxford mail football twitter or read the articles online , but won’t pay a few quid a month to pay the journalists ?
The articles are online with a raft of advertising, so to say you are reading with no contribution is false. And as they are put up by the content makers, it is an acceptable way to consume the output.

I have the Oxford mail delivered.... I do also dip into their online 'breaking news/ news updates' , only get 20 'freebies over a certain time span, then (online) want a subscription to be paid

Ive declined to subscribe to OM online as I pay for the physical newspaper ( and to have it delivered) 6 days a week, I don't think its right to additionally have to pay for it online

Local journalism in the form of papers has been in the pan for years nationwide. The titles are primarily filled with cheap uni graduates desperate for a break into an industry that’s already mostly over, who in turn do little besides trawl online forums and social media looking for things to ‘report’. Serves almost no value - the race to the bottom started years ago. The more they cut back and the more proper journalists and news reporting were replaced with cheap kids and recycled hash, the more sales dwindled and the less relevant they all became.

As someone who spent 15 years working in various forms of media, including newspapers and magazines, I feel pretty content saying that. Most of the publishing industry is toilet.

Well for me I live outside of radio oxford area so rely on the oxford mail to keep up on local news. I find their reporting on oxford United to be first class and essential to keep independent reporting.

I think you’ll miss it when it’s gone.

Local journalism in the form of papers has been in the pan for years nationwide. The titles are primarily filled with cheap uni graduates desperate for a break into an industry that’s already mostly over, who in turn do little besides trawl online forums and social media looking for things to ‘report’. Serves almost no value - the race to the bottom started years ago. The more they cut back and the more proper journalists and news reporting were replaced with cheap kids and recycled hash, the more sales dwindled and the less relevant they all became.

As someone who spent 15 years working in various forms of media, including newspapers and magazines, I feel pretty content saying that. Most of the publishing industry is toilet.

Some former publications have gone totally digital/ digitised.... however, there's still a market for printed papers/ magazines, certainly people of a certain age prefer to have something to hold (paper or magazine wise)

Agree with @RyanioBirdio re cuts etc at a lot of local newspapers

that said OM, for all their faults, IMO, do provide very decent coverage of OUFC

Lots of love for Radio Oxford. A superb team of passionate local broadcasters.

Won’t miss the Oxford Mail at all personally - never click on the site for anything and their OUFC reporting is either recycled soundbites or rumours that break on this forum first. They often create their stories based on what certain people say on here.

I like the idea of the OM and what it used to be far more than the reality of what it now is. Some obviously feel differently and that’s fine, and I feel for the people who have to work at places like that as I know the pressures and challenges that they face. They are human beings. I just don’t value any part of their work.

I still work with print myself, it’s just that I realised quite some time ago that it now exists in the niche markets only.

I think the printed version of the OxMail has had its day.

I’m sure there is a place for the online version, but sadly from my experience it is incredibly slow and clunky, constantly reloading itself. I’ve clicked on a story and eventually just give up. I don’t think anyone would pay for that.

Well for me I live outside of radio oxford area so rely on the oxford mail to keep up on local news. I find their reporting on oxford United to be first class and essential to keep independent reporting.

I think you’ll miss it when it’s gone.
BBC Sounds app, you can RadOx on that.

The oxford mail forked up when they messed up on the oxford united forum.....it was quite good if i remember rightly............it is at the moment holding on by its finger nails........anyway who pays for it when theres the "New incognito window" i.m sure someone would come in and replace it.....probably Charlie when the Mackems run the southern softy out of town :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom