Away Match Build Up Oxford city Friendly July 2nd

Agree with you.
This call for another CDM player has surprised me as it does appear that the club have Smyth lined up for the first team squad.
Good to hear how good he was last night

There was one bit of play last night where he received the ball from Forde from the right ,span the city player and then played a pinpoint 50 yard ball to Marcus browne on the left wing, All this without hesitation. That bit of play told me we don't need a Gorrin replacement, we already have one in the building. Likes a hard tackle too.

He's certainly not the untested kid that some have suggested. I was impressed to see that he had completed his own training ahead of preseason to ensure that he was in good condition for the rigours of English football, and it showed with his strength and pace.

He plays like a much older player, and could be a leader on the pitch that we've sometimes missed. I also think that he is the reason why we only offered Gorrin a one year extension and wouldn't be surprised to see him featuring regularly before long.
Don't give KR ideas I'm sure Smyth is a good player but not at RB 😃

Agree with the comments about Smyth, looked very good last night. Of course, never judge a player (good or bad) on a half of football, but the early promising signs are good.

What I like most is that he is already looking where to play the ball before he’s even called for it. Plenty of times he could just pop it off first time because he was aware of his surroundings. A CamBran-esque ball to Browne at one stage too. Big bulky lad who is not slow either. Very exciting prospect. I suppose the unknown quantity is how well can he defend, which will be revealed in weeks to come against tougher opposition.

Thought Josh Johnson looked tidy in the same role in the first half. Golding looked decent too and I would like to see both go out to at least a conference side for half the season. I would prefer the latter half of the season as they would benefit from training at our high standards while retaining the chance of minutes in the PJ trophy and possibly FA cup if we get a lower league side. Second half of the season becomes results based so unlikely to get a sniff.

Thought Sade looked good for half an hour too. Goodrham looks to have something about him, quite quick and diminutive. Worked very hard too.

Only one I disagree with is Ben Davis. Does possess some talent and did have some nice touches but looked like a player who was quite selfish minded both on and off the ball. It wouldn’t surprise me if that put him behind some others in the pecking order as KR likes team players.

Gatlin O Donkor had a brief cameo and didn’t get too much of the ball - one very quick run down the right hand side.

Full back Owens got forward well but didn’t look great at the back.

As I say, never fully judge on one game etc. I hope all of them get a lot more game time this pre season, so we can start to formulate a better opinion and see how best to improve them as players.

Smyth is guaranteed to be in the squad if that’s how he is going to perform though.

Agree with the comments about Smyth, looked very good last night. Of course, never judge a player (good or bad) on a half of football, but the early promising signs are good.

What I like most is that he is already looking where to play the ball before he’s even called for it. Plenty of times he could just pop it off first time because he was aware of his surroundings. A CamBran-esque ball to Browne at one stage too. Big bulky lad who is not slow either. Very exciting prospect. I suppose the unknown quantity is how well can he defend, which will be revealed in weeks to come against tougher opposition.

Thought Josh Johnson looked tidy in the same role in the first half. Golding looked decent too and I would like to see both go out to at least a conference side for half the season. I would prefer the latter half of the season as they would benefit from training at our high standards while retaining the chance of minutes in the PJ trophy and possibly FA cup if we get a lower league side. Second half of the season becomes results based so unlikely to get a sniff.

Thought Sade looked good for half an hour too. Goodrham looks to have something about him, quite quick and diminutive. Worked very hard too.

Only one I disagree with is Ben Davis. Does possess some talent and did have some nice touches but looked like a player who was quite selfish minded both on and off the ball. It wouldn’t surprise me if that put him behind some others in the pecking order as KR likes team players.

Gatlin O Donkor had a brief cameo and didn’t get too much of the ball - one very quick run down the right hand side.

Full back Owens got forward well but didn’t look great at the back.

As I say, never fully judge on one game etc. I hope all of them get a lot more game time this pre season, so we can start to formulate a better opinion and see how best to improve them as players.

Smyth is guaranteed to be in the squad if that’s how he is going to perform though.
I assume that Smyth was brought in with the intention of being in the first team squad this season. He appears to have all of the attributes and let's see how he takes the chances that comes his way. As you rightly suggest, he can't be judged on one half if a friendly, but all is positive according to things coming out of the club.
I guess that Goodrham and Golding are next in line, but there is a huge gap to get into a regular first team squad. It would be teriffic to see a couple of the young players make it in the next couple of years, but they will have to be very good ( and be given the chance) to become first team players

Great to hear all the positive comments about Smyth as he is the potential first team break through this year. it was hoped for and somewhat expected but until it happens you never know. Good luck to him for the season and lets hope a couple more make it too.

I assume that Smyth was brought in with the intention of being in the first team squad this season. He appears to have all of the attributes and let's see how he takes the chances that comes his way. As you rightly suggest, he can't be judged on one half if a friendly, but all is positive according to things coming out of the club.
I guess that Goodrham and Golding are next in line, but there is a huge gap to get into a regular first team squad. It would be teriffic to see a couple of the young players make it in the next couple of years, but they will have to be very good ( and be given the chance) to become first team players

Good point Foley. The gap from youth team to first team appears to be large. Goodrham and Golding are still a way off. I suppose for these 2 it now might be an 18 month plan of progression to get near the squad regularly and that’s providing they improve at a steady rate.

First half - Moore, Henry, Brannigan straight into their rhythm; Baldock keen and agile; long back to his best on the right (two great crosses for the goals). Seddon still pushed on too much for me.
Goodrham and Davis both did well and showed skill, confidence and determination. TG got some bulk to him so wouldn't get pushed around tho Davis not so much. Both (esp TG) could do a job from the bench, but may well see loans for at least the first half of the season.
Difficult to say with Golding as didn't have much to do but did ok - another season at Banbury perhaps? Johnson a little caught in headlights, and not quite ready yet.

Second half - Browne looks awesome, Smyth stood out as a positive in midfield, Taylor was his normal self, Brown looked comfortable & Mous a calming influence at the back.
Forde and Bodin didn't stand out, Mcguane still an enigma.
Owens not ready yet, Sade looked bright when he came on as did GOd. Davis, presumably with the fitness from his international tournament in his legs carried on after half time.

Overall, a good start, some good skill and nice passages of play on show and some promising displays from some of the newer faces.

Standouts - Browne & Smyth are great additions to what we had last season; key players like Cambrian, Henry, Taylor, Moore are showing well and there are some promise among the youngsters, particularly Goodrham

First half - Moore, Henry, Brannigan straight into their rhythm; Baldock keen and agile; long back to his best on the right (two great crosses for the goals). Seddon still pushed on too much for me.
Goodrham and Davis both did well and showed skill, confidence and determination. TG got some bulk to him so wouldn't get pushed around tho Davis not so much. Both (esp TG) could do a job from the bench, but may well see loans for at least the first half of the season.
Difficult to say with Golding as didn't have much to do but did ok - another season at Banbury perhaps? Johnson a little caught in headlights, and not quite ready yet.

Second half - Browne looks awesome, Smyth stood out as a positive in midfield, Taylor was his normal self, Brown looked comfortable & Mous a calming influence at the back.
Owens not ready yet, Sade looked bright when he came on as did GOd. Davis, presumably with the fitness from his international tournament in his legs carried on after half time.

Overall, a good start, some good skill and nice passages of play on show and some promising displays from some of the newer faces.

Standouts - Browne & Smyth are great additions to what we had last season; key players like Cambrian, Henry, Taylor, Moore are showing well and there are some promise among the youngsters, particularly Goodrham
Excellent description, I’d agree with all that. Goodrham looked a lot fitter and stronger than last year I thought. Brannagan was so committed! Other senior players like Henry and Bodin weren’t pushing themselves, which is fair enough given it was the first friendly, but Cam just has to give a hundred per cent

I can see Goodrham going out on loan but maybe in the 2nd half of the season as we'll have Cup games and he could be used off the bench (as you say) as well. I suppose it is where KR etc see him in terms of how close he is to the 1st team squad. I don't think a loan to NL Regional will help him much though so it would have to be a NL club for me as a minimum. If it was a NL club then at least the club could do still do short term loans whenever it was seen as beneficial.

Interesting 90 minutes.

Great to see Cameron out there with a couple of goals under his fishing belt.

I thought Marcus Browne was akin to a sleek JCB. He was powerful, bullish and quick footed. He, if he keeps fit will be a wanted man again if we happen to miss out again. So, please Oxford let the football do the talking and this time tell the doubters to f*ck right off.

It was great to see Baldock out there again and tbh when KR said about the astro pitch a half day before the match I was very surprised to see him start. However, with the mind games and all that I'm sure any North Leigh scouts (lol) at the game will have more than sharpened pencils in their pockets! The last sentence was a bit in jest as I played on that Eynsham Hall pitch a few times and if Sam was to play he'd need stilts to be seen when attacking the bottom goal!

Overall a nice watch and it would be great for Nor Lye and Lloyd to see at least a couple of first teamers start next week as he deserves that.

COYY'S.

Back
Top Bottom