Ox-Rails

cheers for the response...any reason as to why football supporters are treated (and policed? ) differently to all other sports supporters?
In my own opinion,as a football fan I believe legislation needs to be looked at and changed/tweaked. Until then I’m afraid the minority will fall foul of the current laws. I’m hopeful of change.

Evening sarge. I am still here. The Ascot video I’m led to believe involved West Ham v Villa fans/supporters. It happens a lot more than is reported. Not just race meetings. Concerts and boxing matches to name a couple. Not arranged, just chance meetings. Can’t comment on why they weren’t arrested as wasn’t there.

Can I ask at what point they stop being football supporters and rather become troublemakers attached to another sport/event? To turn it around, why can't football on that basis claim it is horse racing fans clashing at football should disorder with these people happen?

It seems a rather lazy label to blame it on football supporters and other sports washing their hands of their responsibilities for crowd control and behaviour.

Last edited:
Can I ask at what point they stop being football supporters and rather become troublemakers attached to another sport/event?

It seems a rather lazy label to blame it on football.
Maybe it is. But when we’re informed they’re chanting their clubs names and then engaging in disorder it’s kind of easy for the media and others to point a finger.

Maybe it is. But when we’re informed they’re chanting their clubs names and then engaging in disorder it’s kind of easy for the media and others to point a finger.

Thanks for your response. My question was more a general one rather than a specific case as that always seems to be the claim made that it is football fans.

As an aside, the media don't need an excuse, whether it is true or not, to blame football for any trouble but are slow on the uptake when it involves other sports.

Last edited:
Interesting that they installed a rail to test out at the back of the East stand. Just a rail, not the seats that go with them.

Could we just install the rail without them special seats?

Interesting that they installed a rail to test out at the back of the East stand. Just a rail, not the seats that go with them.

Could we just install the rail without them special seats?

Yes.

That's what Ox-Rails is all about.

Look back at the original post, and article. We cannot install safe standing by law. This is a way around it. The stand and seats we have now all remain, but we add the rail infront of them. It's much cheaper and means we will be "halfway to safe standing" without breaking any laws.

Hopefully it will be sooner, but it could be years before safe standing is granted, this scheme will put the pressure on for sure.

Look back at the original post, and article. We cannot install safe standing by law. This is a way around it. The stand and seats we have now all remain, but we add the rail infront of them. It's much cheaper and means we will be "halfway to safe standing" without breaking any laws.

Hopefully it will be sooner, but it could be years before safe standing is granted, this scheme will put the pressure on for sure.
Is that right?How come Shrewsbury have then?
I am surprised it won't be in to the 18/19 season. Did I read that right? One year after it has already been tested?

Is that right?How come Shrewsbury have then?
I am surprised it won't be in to the 18/19 season. Did I read that right? One year after it has already been tested?
I meant 19/20 season..

I think you will find that Safe Standing is not allowed from Championship upwards! So League 1 and 2 CAN install it.

I think you will find that Safe Standing is not allowed from Championship upwards! So League 1 and 2 CAN install it.

Not for clubs that have spent time in the championship when the laws were introduced, which we were. Doesn’t matter if you then become league 1 or 2 still gotta stay all seater

there's a lot of misinformation on this subject ...... tbh I really can't be arsed to trawl through countless threads on this and previous incarnations of YF to find them, n cut n paste them ( besides cut n pasting on the device Im on today isnt an easy thing to do....for me!), to, yet again, provide the actual current / recent info, legislation and the like. Those that interested in what the legislation actually constitutes, as opposed to what a perception of the legislation is, may want to visit Football Supporters Federation website .... as FSF have been running a long term campaign on the subject ...along with links to the relevant actual legislation (which still many many many football supporters continue to misinterpret ... including contributors to YF) ... there's good start point here ....http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/

Currently, the government/ parliament are looking at the situation re legislation/ requirements and the like regarding All seater requirements in FOOTBALL stadiums ..... partially due to the lobbying and campaigning by FSF ..... (which is FREE to join...FSF work tirelessly on behalf of all Football supporters in the UK )

while Ox -rails isn't ideal (what is) ...credit to OUFC for genuinely investigating the possibilities of introducing a form of 'safe' standing, with an interpretation of what allows supporters to stand (safely), while watching home matches

The 'rules' say you have to sit down. will never happen, but them's the rules. So the club are being realistic by investigating this idea - keeping standers (who by the clubs rules shouldn't exist!) safer. A common sense initiative IMO.

The Shelborne ground we played at in Dublin still had some old terracing, it was pretty steep, and there weren't even any crush barriers.

Most of it was seated, but bizarrely at one end of the ground, they had fitted seats on a terrace behind the goal spelling out the club's initials, then taken the front ten or so rows of seats out so only half of the letters were there.

Unfortunately not the case. We were in the Championship when the Taylor Report was introduced meaning we cannot add standing to our stadium under any circumstances.

The Shelborne ground we played at in Dublin still had some old terracing, it was pretty steep, and there weren't even any crush barriers.

Most of it was seated, but bizarrely at one end of the ground, they had fitted seats on a terrace behind the goal spelling out the club's initials, then taken the front ten or so rows of seats out so only half of the letters were there.
That stand behind the goal has been decommissioned, noone was allowed to sit/stand there (we were told sternly by a steward!). I imagine it used to be fully seated and they sold off the seats to raise money. Or gave up halfway through converting it from terrace to seats. :LOL:

Standing at football is never going to be allowed again. No politician will put their name to that in case of another disaster. So why don't the club spend money on improving the stadium instead of wasting it on safe standing barriers etc ?
If people just sat on their seats and watched the game there wouldn't be any need to revert back to those bad old days.

Back
Top Bottom