EPL owners charter 'scuppered'

Sarge

God like member
... the usual suspects are , of course the ones refusing to sign up

info from Football Supporters Association news feed (an hour ago)

Football Supporters' Association

t06fpg8mnhhush7104hff ·

England’s so-called “big six” clubs have killed off attempts by the Premier League to introduce a new owners charter according to reports published today.
The main domestic protagonists behind last year’s failed breakaway European Super League – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Manchester United – have refused to sign up to the charter as it commits them to qualifying for UEFA’s Champions League via current sporting merit.
“It’s clear that these clubs have regard for sporting integrity and sporting merit only when it suits their own interests, at home or abroad,” said FSA chief exec Kevin Miles.

... the usual suspects are , of course the ones refusing to sign up

info from Football Supporters Association news feed (an hour ago)

Football Supporters' Association

t06fpg8mnhhush7104hff ·

England’s so-called “big six” clubs have killed off attempts by the Premier League to introduce a new owners charter according to reports published today.
The main domestic protagonists behind last year’s failed breakaway European Super League – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Manchester United – have refused to sign up to the charter as it commits them to qualifying for UEFA’s Champions League via current sporting merit.
“It’s clear that these clubs have regard for sporting integrity and sporting merit only when it suits their own interests, at home or abroad,” said FSA chief exec Kevin Miles.
additional info below ....

I thought that Premier League changes needed to be agreed by 14 members to pass, so there must be another club alongside the big six blocking it? Or did that rule get abandoned?

I thought that Premier League changes needed to be agreed by 14 members to pass, so there must be another club alongside the big six blocking it? Or did that rule get abandoned?
didnt know that .... maybe more will come out info wise ?

didnt know that .... maybe more will come out info wise
I'm of the mind to believe the FSA report you posted, as they are definitely a trusted source, so guessing I have either got it wrong or the rule has changed.

According to the PL website:

"Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed."

According to the PL website:

"Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed."

Yeah thought it was that, so I'm not going mad then. For once.

Is the charter a rule change per se? The few news reports that have been made on this topic just say the big six refused to sign it, which makes me think it was never intended to be a condition of EPL membership....

Is the charter a rule change per se? The few news reports that have been made on this topic just say the big six refused to sign it, which makes me think it was never intended to be a condition of EPL membership....

All reports have centred on the fact that this was non-unanimous. Probably required all teams to sign up

More news after an independent regulator is mentioned (again)....

I`m sure the government will make the right moves but it won`t be "fast".
..... ooooooh, a new quango for former Bullingdon club members to oversee and to receive vast amounts of taxpayers money for doing so

Seriously though, I hope the government do the right thing, despite it being unlikely

However
From that article...

And they will approve a pilot project to test the safety of drinking alcohol on the pitch, which could pave the way for drinking at the highest levels of the game for the first time in nearly four decades.
Drinking 'on the pitch'??? Blimey, I thought they would at least restrict it to the stands.

..... ooooooh, a new quango for former Bullingdon club members to oversee and to receive vast amounts of taxpayers money for doing so

Seriously though, I hope the government do the right thing, despite it being unlikely.

It`ll be someone who steps forward with their own agenda - they certainly will not be democratically elected - its how these things work.

Back
Top Bottom