Our new MD

Think we all agree the club has no “face” at the moment.
We certainly miss an Ashton like figure in more ways than one.
Niall’s part time brief seems to be just that I.e. “brief”

Probably all ties in with the takeover again, it’s not just Darryl that quiet it’s the whole club, but that all comes from the top. I don’t doubt for one sec he’s looked into and followed up on those points. I think under different circumstances he would be very much more public, and proactive
hopefully we'll find out soon ;)

Either way I doubt if the weekly chat in would have been sustainable but it's understandable when a new broom comes in ..I remember when a lot of CW chats were in his office ..you certainly don't get that now..it's short and sharp.

I expect things will be a lot clearer on the issues that the MD was going to look into when we get the minutes of last Friday's OxVox Committee meeting.

Is he still in the role or has he left as well?

The fact that Tiger spends a lot of his time abroad, the role of the CEO/MD is going to be even more demanding. It will be difficult to do this role on a partîme basis.

The fact that Tiger spends a lot of his time abroad, the role of the CEO/MD is going to be even more demanding. It will be difficult to do this role on a partîme basis.

The actual structure of the club is so weird that it needs a total overhaul. Whilst the playing budget has doubled during DE's time in charge, the rest of the club has been fairly comprehensively hollowed out. There have been cuts at the Academy, the Commercial department has been reduced to Rosie and young Adam selling boxes, there is no Marketing department, no proper finance director, a part-time MD who has never worked in the commercial world let alone football, no replacement for the chief scout..... the list goes on.

You cannot run a medium-sized business like that without it coming to bite you in the a**e sooner rather than later. The sycophants who are fond of saying that "the club is further forward in every regard since four years ago" are talking absolute tosh. The club is further forward in one (important) regard: our league status..... and, if one is being generous, the one surviving remnant of the recruitment system that Ashton built.

In all other regards, Tiger will encounter a wasteland. He has already noticed that the merchandising is rubbish because that is his space. But he will find similar decay under almost every stone that he cares to look under. Since Ashton left, the operation has been gradually winnowed away to be replaced by a personality cult convincing enough to dupe enough of the people enough of the time for just long enough. Presuming that Tiger actually wants to do things properly, he is desperately going to need an experienced football club commercial/ marketing/ management guy to get the whole rickety show back on its feet again.

The actual structure of the club is so weird that it needs a total overhaul. Whilst the playing budget has doubled during DE's time in charge, the rest of the club has been fairly comprehensively hollowed out. There have been cuts at the Academy, the Commercial department has been reduced to Rosie and young Adam selling boxes, there is no Marketing department, no proper finance director, a part-time MD who has never worked in the commercial world let alone football, no replacement for the chief scout..... the list goes on.

You cannot run a medium-sized business like that without it coming to bite you in the a**e sooner rather than later. The sycophants who are fond of saying that "the club is further forward in every regard since four years ago" are talking absolute tosh. The club is further forward in one (important) regard: our league status..... and, if one is being generous, the one surviving remnant of the recruitment system that Ashton built.

In all other regards, Tiger will encounter a wasteland. He has already noticed that the merchandising is rubbish because that is his space. But he will find similar decay under almost every stone that he cares to look under. Since Ashton left, the operation has been gradually winnowed away to be replaced by a personality cult convincing enough to dupe enough of the people enough of the time for just long enough. Presuming that Tiger actually wants to do things properly, he is desperately going to need an experienced football club commercial/ marketing/ management guy to get the whole rickety show back on its feet again.

I actually agree with that, phew...

At least he starts with a blank page however ;)

Do u think dan Harris was the start of tiger doing just that? Or something Darryl would have done anyway

Niall Mac talked a good job at the Oxvox open members meeting....however, so far, many weeks down the line since said meeting, it appears he doesn't walk it how he talks it, sadly. Silence isn't golden in this case, regarding the MD.:cautious:

Do u think dan Harris was the start of tiger doing just that? Or something Darryl would have done anyway

Dan Harris was an essential appointment, as we were under notice of losing academy status for not having an academy manager (we tried to claim that Les Taylor could do two or three roles, but those are also roles that are required to be filled). So I'm afraid that I do not see it as part of a grand strategic vision, just a shoring up of a neglected area.
Still, at least we do still just have an academy - something which people within the club had to fight hard to keep at one point, as apparently the chairman didn't think it was worth a candle.
Which is ironic, given that he is still scraping every last cent out of the O'Dowda deal even now he has sold up. 'Pro cake - the having and eating thereof', as Boris once put it.
My soundings from a few parents with sons in the system suggest that Dan is a good chap, but the academy desperately needs a pep up and, if Tiger can afford it, some more funding. Southampton are trying to eat our lunch, as are Reading, and the slightly threadbare state of things over the last year or so hasn't helped convince the parents that their lads are better off with OUFC.

Dan Harris was an essential appointment, as we were under notice of losing academy status for not having an academy manager (we tried to claim that Les Taylor could do two or three roles, but those are also roles that are required to be filled). So I'm afraid that I do not see it as part of a grand strategic vision, just a shoring up of a neglected area.
Still, at least we do still just have an academy - something which people within the club had to fight hard to keep at one point, as apparently the chairman didn't think it was worth a candle.
Which is ironic, given that he is still scraping every last cent out of the O'Dowda deal even now he has sold up. 'Pro cake - the having and eating thereof', as Boris once put it.
My soundings from a few parents with sons in the system suggest that Dan is a good chap, but the academy desperately needs a pep up and, if Tiger can afford it, some more funding. Southampton are trying to eat our lunch, as are Reading, and the slightly threadbare state of things over the last year or so hasn't helped convince the parents that their lads are better off with OUFC.

Well it sounds like that has already started under dan, new scouts new coaches already appointed, the new training ground and facilities will also make it easier to attract future talent, that’s why I think he might have been brought in on tigers say so, it had gone that long without one under Darryl it would seem strange to then appoint one just a few weeks before sale.

Harsh in current situation when he probably has hasn’t known who he is working on behalf of, who he’s taking orders from and who to go to to ask for finance or permission to go ahead with his ideas. I get the feeling Darryl probably wouldn’t have ok’d many new ideas. To be fair he said at the meeting he hoped to finalise the training ground situation at an up coming meeting and he has.
what about the rest of what he claimed hed be addressing in one way or another? Apart from the training ground, what has the MD done for us? ;)

Harsh in current situation when he probably has hasn’t known who he is working on behalf of, who he’s taking orders from and who to go to to ask for finance or permission to go ahead with his ideas. I get the feeling Darryl probably wouldn’t have ok’d many new ideas. To be fair he said at the meeting he hoped to finalise the training ground situation at an up coming meeting and he has.
what about the rest of what he claimed hed be addressing in one way or another? Apart from the training ground, what has the MD done for us? ;)

Just as we haven’t heard doesn’t mean he hasn’t been doing anything, he said he would improve communications, were getting updates from tiger every couple of days [emoji6]

I was chatting with a friend of a friend a few weeks back about the OUFC academy (just before Dan Harris arrived). It turns out his lad has been through various Premier League and Championship Academies and had some trials at OUFC in the past few months with a view to taking him on next year. He was very complimentary about the setup, saying the experience he had was far better than one of the big west London clubs. While purely anecdotal on one perspective, it did give a different slant on some of the perceptions I had had about the setup.

Hopefully a new training ground complex will make the experience a better one and more connected.

Just as we haven’t heard doesn’t mean he hasn’t been doing anything, he said he would improve communications, were getting updates from tiger every couple of days [emoji6]
[emoji41]:whistle:

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best

Back
Top Bottom