Home Match Day Thread ++OUFC V Scunthorpe 30/3/18 Match Thread++

the turn around that Faz started after hapless Pep was fired

I know results don't necessarily reflect performances (and I don't get to home games, so I'm not able to judge), but I didn't see much evidence of a turnaround under Faz:

Clotet's last 8 games: W2 D2 L4
Faz's 8 games: W2 D1 L5

Having watched the game back, Drysdale is a desperately poor ref. All the gear, no idea sums him up.

Wes was on a hiding to nothing today. No support for most of the time he was on the pitch and his body language showed it.
Thomas did get a bit of rough treatment.

Probably call it quits though when you consider Henry should have been sent off in the first half giving them a penalty, Mousinho could on another day have given another away for handball (although it would have been harsh you've seen them given) and we got one for Obika slipping over.

Better second half today but Christ we were P**s poor in the first and were lucky to go in with 11 men on the pitch and only one goal down rather than three or four.

It was good to see Robinson have a positive impact at half time and also when Branagan went down in the first half the while team went over to get some instructions. He seems to have inherited the diamond formation from Faz's last game which gets all our best midfielders on the pitch but it can leave the full backs exposed, Smith-Brown looks out of his depth most games, let alone against their number 16 who looked really, really good. Despite their form you can see they're a good team and that front three or four will cause most teams a lot of trouble.

Anything from Shrewsbury will be a real bonus, and then we have the real opportunity to put any talk of relegation to bed with three home games in a row.

Today's result for the Shrews could be the sign that the wheels are finally falling off. I'd be hopeful that going there and getting a result is just the odd sort of thing that United would do.

I wouldn't be so sure, oh wise one. But Robinson has already accelerated the turn around that Faz started after hapless Pep was fired.

But Kip's right - we need to tear this squad apart in the summer if we want to go up.
We could have done that last October, half were already out with long term injuries. Never known such a hapless squad in all my life.

This is exactly what we have done for the last three seasons. Whats new?

What? You must be watching a different team to me. Last season the thing we most definitely didn’t need was ripping up and starting again!

What? You must be watching a different team to me. Last season the thing we most definitely didn’t need was ripping up and starting again!
This is what I mean. We have been breaking up the team each close season, the promotion team for example, when we have not needed to. Last season Dunkley, McAleny etc. I am in agreement with you.

Just been looking at highlights, now watching replay of game, abs yes I was at game. Firstly poor poor goal for Eastwood to concede, Kane appears to have 2 against him whenever Scunny attack, they did attack very quickly, we were slower, we didn’t win many 50/50 balls, we won even less second balls, whenever we headed the ball Scunny picked ball up faster than us, should have been a pen when Henry saved a certain goal, but again poor goalkeeping from Eastwood, flapped at the ball as it cane in from the corner, he is NOT commanding in the penalty area, how many times has he flapped at a cross coming in, last year he was player of the season, this season he’s been poor in comparison, it may be due to the transfer rumour, but that’s no excuse, ABS was poor today, he was beaten time and time again, they went passed him like he wasn’t there, and he wasn’t close enough, therefore giving them space, has he in fact actually had a good performance ??? I don’t think so, bring back our Brazilian maestro, not that he’s be perfect. Yes there were a number of poor performances.
Now Obika, I have slated him time and time again, he may never be a goal scoring machine, but he changed the game today, he was a presence, he put himself about, Napa and Thomas were poor today, but Napa was having to come too deep to get the ball, he has pace he needs to be further forward to use it. We need to get fitter and faster, oh yes and better!!!!!

Good work everyone - a step closer

Really, Jon?
I am not sure about a point at home being a step nearer. We have the top three to play away. Let's assume we lose all those.
So then we need six points from our five other games to get to 52. It would be unwise to bet the house on the total needed being less than that.
Our GD may well take a battering from those three away games as well.
I would say that today's result is only a 'point closer ' if we get something from Monday's game. The sad truth is that since our bright start to the season we have 34 points from 32 games. That is relegation form over a very extended period. We have been remarkably consistently bad!
If we continue that relegation form of a point a match, for the remaining 8 games, then we will have 54 points.... And not be relegated....

That was a great point yesterday against a very good side,yes luck was on our side but maybe that made up for last week when it definitely wasn’t.
We have another difficult game on Monday and then 3 home games,hopefully after those we will have the 2 wins that will see us safe.
COYY

Also don't know if anyone has seen the Wimbledon highlights, but they concede possession in the move that ultimately leads to the goal they lose by because the ball gets held up in a puddle on their horrendous pitch. Pleasant irony.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...ague-one/11310384/afc-wimbledon-0-1-fleetwood

Water on the pitch played a big part in Macclesfield's comedy winner.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...g-goal-straight-out-of-sunday-league-20180330

Today's result for the Shrews could be the sign that the wheels are finally falling off. I'd be hopeful that going there and getting a result is just the odd sort of thing that United would do.

Shrewsbury had a 90th minute penalty awarded only for the referee to change his mind.

With their keeper (Henderson) up for a stoppage time corner Rochdale cleared it and Dales’ Ian
Henderson ran 80 yards before walking it into the net.

http://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-shrewsbury/report/375647

Nothing is going to change the way the team is performing. Not Robinson, Faz or us fans because we're broken! All we can do is try to remain positive and support the lads.
In the final game of last season we beat Shrewsbury 2-0 and from memory it could've been a couple more. This seasons line up will look so different that it's obvious it doesn't matter what formation we play we simply do not have enough quality in the side. What we had and what we have now are miles apart!

Last season we lined up with:
Eastwood
Ribs* Nelson Raglan** Skarz
Hall Ruffles Lunny Rothwell
Johnson, Maguire

* Ribs in for Edwards because he needed game time.
**Raglan in for Dunkley because he needed game time.
I'm sure someone will correct me but I think Connor McAleny had already gone but he looked quality.

In the summer through injury, transfers we lost in Bold:
Eastwood
Ribs Nelson Raglan Skarz
Hall
Ruffles Lunny Rothwell
Johnson Maguire

Edwards Dunkley McAleny
Oh and Hemmings and Sercombe

Total statto but thats 63 goals in all competitions!
Also looking at that line up Ruffles and Rothwell struggled to get in our starting 11 at times.

Of our current line up.
I would like us to keep
Eastwood, Ledson and Rothwell.

Todd Kane, Henry, Napa, Brannagan, Ruffles, Dickie are all okay but need better players around them. Plus if I'm honest if we are really looking to win promotion only 3 maybe 4 of the above would make the starting 11

Smith-Brown, Mousinho, Thomas, Martin, Buckley-Ricketts, Obika, Mehmeti, Ricardinho, Tiendalli, Williamson, Kellehner, Carroll, Mowatt, van Kessel and anyone else I've forgotten can jog on!

God I'm bored on a Saturday morning with no Football :)

Nothing is going to change the way the team is performing. Not Robinson, Faz or us fans because we're broken! All we can do is try to remain positive and support the lads.
In the final game of last season we beat Shrewsbury 2-0 and from memory it could've been a couple more. This seasons line up will look so different that it's obvious it doesn't matter what formation we play we simply do not have enough quality in the side. What we had and what we have now are miles apart!

Last season we lined up with:
Eastwood
Ribs* Nelson Raglan** Skarz
Hall Ruffles Lunny Rothwell
Johnson, Maguire

* Ribs in for Edwards because he needed game time.
**Raglan in for Dunkley because he needed game time.
I'm sure someone will correct me but I think Connor McAleny had already gone but he looked quality.

In the summer through injury, transfers we lost in Bold:
Eastwood
Ribs Nelson Raglan Skarz
Hall
Ruffles Lunny Rothwell
Johnson Maguire

Edwards Dunkley McAleny
Oh and Hemmings and Sercombe

Total statto but thats 63 goals in all competitions!
Also looking at that line up Ruffles and Rothwell struggled to get in our starting 11 at times.

Of our current line up.
I would like us to keep
Eastwood, Ledson and Rothwell.

Todd Kane, Henry, Napa, Brannagan, Ruffles, Dickie are all okay but need better players around them. Plus if I'm honest if we are really looking to win promotion only 3 maybe 4 of the above would make the starting 11

Smith-Brown, Mousinho, Thomas, Martin, Buckley-Ricketts, Obika, Mehmeti, Ricardinho, Tiendalli, Williamson, Kellehner, Carroll, Mowatt, van Kessel and anyone else I've forgotten can jog on!

God I'm bored on a Saturday morning with no Football :)

Agreed. Maybe not on Carroll but I would be genuinely disappointed if the others stayed here. You wonder what Van Kessel does next after this, I can't see any UK league club taking him and he has a family to support.

Just been looking at highlights, now watching replay of game, abs yes I was at game. Firstly poor poor goal for Eastwood to concede, Kane appears to have 2 against him whenever Scunny attack, they did attack very quickly, we were slower, we didn’t win many 50/50 balls, we won even less second balls, whenever we headed the ball Scunny picked ball up faster than us, should have been a pen when Henry saved a certain goal, but again poor goalkeeping from Eastwood, flapped at the ball as it cane in from the corner, he is NOT commanding in the penalty area, how many times has he flapped at a cross coming in, last year he was player of the season, this season he’s been poor in comparison, it may be due to the transfer rumour, but that’s no excuse, ABS was poor today, he was beaten time and time again, they went passed him like he wasn’t there, and he wasn’t close enough, therefore giving them space, has he in fact actually had a good performance ??? I don’t think so, bring back our Brazilian maestro, not that he’s be perfect. Yes there were a number of poor performances.
Now Obika, I have slated him time and time again, he may never be a goal scoring machine, but he changed the game today, he was a presence, he put himself about, Napa and Thomas were poor today, but Napa was having to come too deep to get the ball, he has pace he needs to be further forward to use it. We need to get fitter and faster, oh yes and better!!!!!

Really, comments about Eastwood, and I don’t agree with them. I think he’s the least of our worries.

Really, comments about Eastwood, and I don’t agree with them. I think he’s the least of our worries.
Agree he's the least of our worries but his form this season can't go unnoticed.

I'm hoping that it is a confidence thing due to the defence in front of him and he will get back to form next season.

He's made countless crucial saves for us this season but I would hope even he thinks he could of done better with some of the goals conceded.

Agree he's the least of our worries but his form this season can't go unnoticed.

I'm hoping that it is a confidence thing due to the defence in front of him and he will get back to form next season.

He's made countless crucial saves for us this season but I would hope even he thinks he could of done better with some of the goals conceded.

Yesterday was Wigan part 2, the difference being that Wigan was the perfect storm - nothing went for us that day; Jon Obika fell over in the box and missed our only chance from 6 yards out, yesterday he fell over in the box and we got a penalty.

Scunthorpe were every bit as good as Wigan and (in the first half) we were as disorganised as a team & as ineffective as a collection of individuals as I have ever seen - too many times have we been the statue, yesterday we got to be the pigeon........

Yesterday was Wigan part 2, the difference being that Wigan was the perfect storm - nothing went for us that day; Jon Obika fell over in the box and missed our only chance from 6 yards out, yesterday he fell over in the box and we got a penalty.

Scunthorpe were every bit as good as Wigan and (in the first half) we were as disorganised as a team & as ineffective as a collection of individuals as I have ever seen - too many times have we been the statue, yesterday we got to be the pigeon........

I disagree with this because I think the biggest difference was the fact yesterday we were really narrow and Scunthorpe exploited that. Our defence was overrun as a result but was not anywhere near as disorganised or as shambolic as it what against Wigan. Their number 16 looked a great player in the first half but the encouraging thing was we actually changed shape and his threat was vastly reduced. That would not have happened with Pep.

Back
Top Bottom