Votes: 8 17.0%

Votes: 6 12.8%

Votes: 2 4.3%

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

God like member
Had a big call to make in the first 2 mins imo just about got it right .....inconsistantly more and more inconsistant as the game went on ... missed/ didnt give clear handball right in front of him.....overly lenient with blackpool players already on yellow cards ...however his assistant with the yellow flag was about as much use as a chocolate teapot ....id give the ref 5 but the team of match offials IMo only warrant a 4

Last edited:
I thought he was alright to be honest. I'd like to see the red card and handball/penalty incidents again but wasn’t howling at the time.

Sykes should have been booked for the incident that led to the first goal.

Thought it was a pen for the handball and a pen when sykes missed the one-on-one. The defender shoved him in the back as he was shooting.

Husbands could also have been sent off for clattering into henry? After that brilliant run by barker

Plus husbands could easily have had a ref for cutting down sykes

4 big decisions didnt go our way. Normally you would get one or two of them.

Last edited:
Missed two pens, one stonewall from the handball, and one softer on Sykes. I think if Sykes had gone down and not gotten the pen we'd all have been pissed he looked for the pen instead of taking the shot, but there was a definite hand on the back and you've seen them given. Think he got the red card call right, the second defender was there to stop it being last man. Can be zero complaints about their 3 goals, and other than the two pens and maybe being too lenient with time wasting thought he did ok.

Re time wasting, yes when you're losing it's frustrating but let's be honest it was game management at it's finest and we'd all be thinking differently if it was us in the same position.

it was neither a red or a penalty on any occasion

The ref was fine and handled it sensibly for a Play Off semi final

I thought he was fine.
The 50/50s went against us, but he made no big errors.
I thought that they were quite clever at the dark arts (little clips on any player who looked as if they were about to break), but fair play to them

He was fine. A little inconsistent - but we have seen far, far worse!

If that foul on Sykes was half hour in in a PL match then that’s a red, if it was 10 minutes in in a CL game its a red. In a L1 encounter it probably needs to be a good hour into the game to see red.

It's all very well showing your watch to timewasters, it's far better to show them a yellow card for blatantly disrespecting your authority. As for the assistant on the north side, he just didn't keep up with the game and ignored or just plain didn't see some of the fouls. Ex premiership ref he may be but he showed some real classic lower league failings.

i thought he was good in general but if he gets 3 o4 big calls wrong then he deserves lower marks.

I thought he was fine.
The 50/50s went against us, but he made no big errors.
I thought that they were quite clever at the dark arts (little clips on any player who looked as if they were about to break), but fair play to tyem

He was OK. Does make me wonder how many of the decisions made by other refs this season would be so forensically assessed if we saw them on iFollow's long-range potato cam and dodgy replays instead of Sky's.

For me he got the big decisions right. The Sykes foul had a guy covering so yellow was correct, and both my mate I was watching it with and the Sky commentators thought he initially got the ball (he didn't).

The handball is no penalty for me either. The guy's hand and arm don't change movement at all and it's deflected up off his teammate. We would be howling if that was a pen. Ditto the Sykes one on one. He wasn't "shoved in the back", he was touched on the shoulder.

There were some slightly bizarre decisions mind, both for and against us. And the linesman was ropey as well. And Sykes should probably have been given a yellow for the foul before the goal.

But yeah. OK ref who let the game largely flow and had a good presence about him...certainly not the reason we lost tonight.

Got the big calls right.

Annoyed by his look at me attitude with his arm gestures.

Get the card out. Get the players off the pitch and carry on.

Not helped by his linesman. Better than average but we’ve had better and also worse this season. 6

Gets a 6 from me as a team.
The 50/50 calls were just that....they go your way and you are happy, they don`t and your not.
Seen much worse!

Reffed the game like any usual League 1 referee, which is generally below average and not good enough overall.

Football authorities for months have been harping on about cleaning up the game with this and that, and they let this person back in almost via the back door very quietly hoping no one really notices and puts two and two together. Now I'm all for offering second chances to people and our club has offered these to plenty of people in the past despite some previous misdemeanours. But there has to be a consistent approach to the message, and this completely contradicts everything that the football authorities are currently supposedly standing for and making an example of, and if a supporter had done what he did there would be a good chance of a lifetime ban or much longer ban from attending football. So it is a bit surprising he is still allowed to take step on the football field irrespective of whether he is a good referee or not.

I still cant believe all the praise for Sykes, needless foul which deserved a booking resulting in a goal, and missed a chance to get us back into the game.

I still cant believe all the praise for Sykes, needless foul which deserved a booking resulting in a goal, and missed a chance to get us back into the game.
Yes, but *despite* those (and you are right about them) he was our liveliest and most forward thinking player - one of very few who looked like he might affect the course of the game.

Back
Top Bottom