OUFC Transfer Deadline Day Thread - Jan 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
He'll start as the 3rd choice striker for the 1st team (probably playing U23s to keep match fit). My take from that report is he was released from his Lewes contract before 11pm, hence we could sign him after the deadline.

So he is basically back up for the 1st team whilst being on an extended trial to the end of the season.
agree with that

He'll start as the 3rd choice striker for the 1st team (probably playing U23s to keep match fit). My take from that report is he was released from his Lewes contract before 11pm, hence we could sign him after the deadline.

So he is basically back up for the 1st team whilst being on an extended trial to the end of the season.

Yea I think you may be right. And even if he wasn't released until today not hard to back date the release forms....

I can't see what else the club could have done if (as we are led to believe) Vaughan was set to sign and went for a better deal at the last moment. Imagine some of the posts on here if nobody had come in. I've know idea how Sinclair will turn out, no one does, but we've now got an extra striker which gives us another option from the bench.
The way some people go on its as if it's as simple as naming the player you want and just getting him

Eggs, basket and all that, knowing you’ve got a very important deadline e.g. making a wedding cake!!

Oh f**k, all the eggs have broken and the shop’s now shut. What a basket case of a situation, literally.

Yea I think you may be right. And even if he wasn't released until today not hard to back date the release forms....
I suspect the FA will have needed the contract termination forms by 11pm last night for this to be able to go through.

Interesting situation, in that in effect we have paid the fee to the club to get in before the deadline, without necessarily finalising terms with the player. Fortunately no spanners went into the works and all tidied up nicely this morning.
Would still like to see confirmation from the FA that they are happy before we play him though

I suspect the FA will have needed the contract termination forms by 11pm last night for this to be able to go through.

Interesting situation, in that in effect we have paid the fee to the club to get in before the deadline, without necessarily finalising terms with the player. Fortunately no spanners went into the works and all tidied up nicely this morning.
Would still like to see confirmation from the FA that they are happy before we play him though

I read it as Smith buying out his own contract. But no doubt we will compensate him by paying a signing on fee to cover that so in effect the same thing.

Agreed on the confirmation from the FA though!

That was my reaction. I wonder if Lewes had told the agent they wanted more and Smith was the one pushing it?
Would he have needed clearance (Bermudan) and was this the only way to get it done?

Throw them straight in. Smith is hungry and scoring goals. Nightmare to play against a big quick guy who doesn't do what you expect. Bags of energy which is what we are lacking. Be brave Karl and back your judgement. The 23's are the reserves and bedding in there proves nothing. We need to show younger players too that when they come they get their chance to play. If he is only planned for the U23 /backup he brings unwelcome costs. Lets see what they are both made of

Regarding Vaughn, it seems strange that people think he went to pompey for more money. Surely he is still getting paid the same by Wigan whether he plays for us or Pompey? Its clear Pompey came in after Vaughn had agreed to play for us and he (and probably Wigan) fancied that move instead.

Regarding Vaughn, it seems strange that people think he went to pompey for more money. Surely he is still getting paid the same by Wigan whether he plays for us or Pompey? Its clear Pompey came in after Vaughn had agreed to play for us and he (and probably Wigan) fancied that move instead.

Can't blame him. Better team, Better Stadium. They're in a promotion battle we're in a relegation battle. I know who I would choose.

Can't blame him. Better team, Better Stadium. They're in a promotion battle we're in a relegation battle. I know who I would choose.

That's the long and short of it, depressing as it may be.

Agent advice? .... maybe 'opted' last minute for a greater agent fee or the deal from pompey sweetened by a brown paper envelope stuffed with crisp new £50 notes perhaps?

Start same side as Tuesday except Sinclair in for Mackie and give him last half hour and Long in for Hanson.

You know that ain’t gonna happen! Same team as Tuesday unless Browne is back imo

yes i think Mackie is still the number one striker for a while until Jerome is up to speed but at least now mackie can put more into his first 60mins and then come off

yes i think Mackie is still the number one striker for a while until Jerome is up to speed but at least now mackie can put more into his first 60mins and then come off

Don’t think he could put more into his first 60 last Tuesday, he was chasing everything.
Think Jonte could do his role and Jerome can cover Graham etc for now anyway

Back
Top Bottom