General OUFC Pub Partner Scheme

These aren't easy times for pubs. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine them queuing up to pay £250 a month for this - in fact I suspect some of them might take the opposite view and say that if the club wants to be promoted in the pub, it's the club that should be paying them!

In response to the OP, I would have thought it was more important to spread the word as widely as possible - surely the money is to be made by getting people into the ground, buying tickets and merchandise etc?

decent idea ... dunno though if many pubs, ( not restaurants with a licensed bar- doubtful theyd want football supporters in their eateries ?), could afford the 'buy in' fee..... proper pubs have been closing at an alarming rate since the smoking ban was imposed introduced, theres not a lot of £ in pubs currently

Edit- was typing this as @ZeroTheHero post (above) arrived on the thread

I wonder if the Swan & Castle will sign up...

All jokes a side is the Wig & Pen still a unofficial drinking spot for Oxford fans?

It was me who floated the original idea a while back although they have changed it a bit.

My view was having a U's aligned pub in various areas would help encourage a bit more togetherness for U's fans in certain places.

That sense of belonging would hopefully encourage others to become U's fans and I thought it would maybe encourage more U's fans to travel together and make new friendships etc.

Also thought it would be good for the pubs as well as many have lost that community feel..

Last edited:
Can't see many pubs signing up for this. The idea has all the hallmarks of a graduate with a degree in Business Management saying I've got a foolproof plan for making us loads of money.

The idea is sound in principle. Establish a number of supporters clubs throughout the county, giving somewhere for supporters to meet before and after games, generate interest and promote the club and upcoming games.

If you look at Bicester, I would guess that there would be more than enough interest in running a coach to and from each game. If these 50 odd fans spent a couple of hours before the game and an hour after it drinking in the pub then £250 would be well worth it.

It would ideally need a landlord who is already a fan to push this, but it could work well if promoted properly.

I agree it would be great for fans to meet up and travel to and from games. I bet loads already do. In fact I sit next to a group who take it in turns to drive to games. But I'd say in the current climate to expect a pub to pay £250 a month in the hope of selling a few more drinks and a couple of free tickets etc is fairly delusional.
A few posters etc would suffice and maybe an offer of 10 get half price tickets and Landlord/lady free entry for a game in a draw a week of two before every home game. With the carrott of if you enjoy it you can each individually bring yourself and another for the next match for half price. Your details go on the database. After that it's fullprice

The idea is sound in principle. Establish a number of supporters clubs throughout the county, giving somewhere for supporters to meet before and after games, generate interest and promote the club and upcoming games.

If you look at Bicester, I would guess that there would be more than enough interest in running a coach to and from each game. If these 50 odd fans spent a couple of hours before the game and an hour after it drinking in the pub then £250 would be well worth it.

It would ideally need a landlord who is already a fan to push this, but it could work well if promoted properly.
problem there lays in the fact that the profit on wet sales in a tied house amounts to a few pence per pint

those 50 fans would have to neck a lot of beer before and after matches to get near a £25 profit never mind £250 profit... sadly

problem there lays in the fact that the profit on wet sales in a tied house amounts to a few pence per pint

those 50 fans would have to neck a lot of beer before and after matches to get near a £25 profit never mind £250 profit... sadly
Didn't realise it was so low, guess that's why most pubs now push food which I assume has a greater mark up?

I can see it in a Gastropub
A yummy mummy saying
Come on Cuthbert if you eat your vegan samosa and drink all your almond milk. On saurday Daddy will take you to watch those rough council estate chaps playing Association Football.

I think Eric Read and many others will remember this one , but that pub near dublin university where about four “ladies who like to lunch” were settling down for a midweek meal and get together when the pub was descended on by oxford fans.

Didn't realise it was so low, guess that's why most pubs now push food which I assume has a greater mark up?
sadly so ... thats why what were good old fashioned pubs have transmorphed into resturants with a lic' bar... theyre not tied to the chain owners on food (generally), ... considerable profit to be made on scran

I think Eric Read and many others will remember this one , but that pub near dublin university where about four “ladies who like to lunch” were settling down for a midweek meal and get together when the pub was descended on by oxford fans.

I remember a few seasons ago when we entertained the scum on a Tuesday night game something similar happened. Things slowly moved from One Bar to the Oxford Hotel (think it was an Italian chain at the time). Anyway probably 50 or so in there waiting to greet them getting off the train as a few old couples sat to enjoy their calamari starters. Quite a look of shock when we came in and emptied the fridges of peroni.

Not that there was any trouble and I think our fans had been pointed in that pub’s direction as there were many tv screens showing an England game ?

Back to the topic in hand though it’s not a terrible idea just perhaps they’re a bit optimistic getting pubs to pay £250 a month to advertise OUFC (I thought it was £250 for the year initially).

Giving a couple of tickets away each fortnight costs the clubs nothing really when the seats are there and empty anyway. Also there are certainly pubs in Abingdon and Oxford where OUFC fans congregate before and after the game.

Perhaps a better idea would be to lose or drastically reduce the fee and ask each club (that does a quiz night) to ask for a couple of specific OUFC questions to be included in the sports round. The team that either wins the quiz or that round gets the tickets each week. Aside from making it a bit of a ‘special prize’ it also means joe bloggs quiz goer has to start researching our glorious footballing history if they want to win the quiz each week.

Instead of posters they dish out a few first team shirts to frame on the wall each season and it becomes a bit more saleable to the landlord/landlady getting hammered by the PubCo and alcohol duty.

Anyway just an idea.

I think the cost per month is a bit high, I also would ask that for the year.

My idea was the pub to get a plaque saying it was a OUFC official venue and maybe a chance to buy a reduced cost framed shirt and every quarter get a pair of home tickets to raffle.

Maybe once a year the pub could run a supporters night with a couple of players coming along. The aim is for proper supporters clubs to be formed as most clubs have independent supporters clubs but OUFC do not have this.

As I already stated I felt it was a chance to create more togetherness and encourage more U's fans to come together and hopefully bring more people along..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom