OUFC financial chappy on 5 min Fans Forum

Yes keep selling players... yes keep rebuilding every season...Yes keep loaning players from other clubs...Yes keep watching as we take one step forward and three back

We are a league 1 club. Any players that stand out will be sold to a championship club. Thats the nature of football. Unless you are a big fish in the league who can offer players outstanding contracts to keep them to stay. We aren't one of those clubs.

The thing that does concern me is the constantly re-emerging issue of bills not being paid. If Tiger and his advisers had done due diligence on OUFC before buying they should have known the costs involved in running the club, and when those costs needed to be met. If they didn't undertake due diligence, they are fools. If they undertook due diligence and still took the club over without being able to pay their bills, they are fools.

So we have no right to expect large investment, but we do have a right to expect owners to be financially competent.
Spot on with due diligence. Surely they must have considered that arbitration may not have secured a discount on lease and service charges? And, and I have said this before, how did they let DE walk away from that debt? (worse still, they signed away the transfer income!)

Yes keep selling players... yes keep rebuilding every season...Yes keep loaning players from other clubs...Yes keep watching as we take one step forward and three back
The strategy looks pretty clear.
Bring on really good young players which we have developed and add to them.
If we have a number of promising g youngsters in the team as well as players such as Henry Nelson etc, then we can sell a player of two without having to rebuild every season.
The problem we are in was due to players being sold before Eales got out and then Peps recruitment which meant a whole load of players leaving at the end of last season.
My concern is that if Dickie refuses to sign a years extension Nelson will be off and maybe Dickie as well?

How about holding on to them keeping a squad together for 3 seasons with the odd tinker here and there as you progress up the leagues.
Being known as a feeder club to help improve other clubs players or being used as a stepping stone to a bigger payday how is that helping us progress long term?

The strategy looks pretty clear.
Bring on really good young players which we have developed and add to them.
If we have a number of promising g youngsters in the team as well as players such as Henry Nelson etc, then we can sell a player of two without having to rebuild every season.
The problem we are in was due to players being sold before Eales got out and then Peps recruitment which meant a whole load of players leaving at the end of last season.
My concern is that if Dickie refuses to sign a years extension Nelson will be off and maybe Dickie as well?

oh come on... lundstrom roofe ledson johnson etc were always going to be sold and was not because Eales was planning any exit.

How about holding on to them keeping a squad together for 3 seasons with the odd tinker here and there as you progress up the leagues.
Being known as a feeder club to help improve other clubs players or being used as a stepping stone to a bigger payday how is that helping us progress long term?

Because we are losing £2m a year in l1. So that would be £6m straight off, one season in the champ and u could probably write off another £5-10m. It’s great wanting progression , but unless u have an owner like Bournemouth willing to chuck millions away you have to do it sustainably.

It is just like about every other lower league club then.

We are a league 1 club. Any players that stand out will be sold to a championship club. Thats the nature of football. Unless you are a big fish in the league who can offer players outstanding contracts to keep them to stay. We aren't one of those clubs.

The only clubs who aren't a "selling" club would be the clubs in the PL and that is open to interpretation when the money of Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd etc comes along.

The only clubs who aren't a "selling" club would be the clubs in the PL and that is open to interpretation when the money of Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd etc comes along.
You would also get into a position where the likes of ledson, roofe, branagan wouldn’t come in the first place if they knew we would hold them back if a big move came in. And if u did keep the entire squad for the 3 years, u then risk the lot refusing contract extensions and walking away on a free anyway, and that’s if u can find the person to fund it in the first place

I've just listened to it and feel I know more now than from all the other five min forums put together. Thought he gave pretty clear honest answers.

I've just listened to it and feel I know more now than from all the other five min forums put together. Thought he gave pretty clear honest answers.
After listening to today and also to NM I get the impression that there’s not great communication between the people on the ground, running the club day to day, and the overseas owners. If these people start to feel disaffected and that they’re being hung out to dry as it were, then the club will be in trouble.

After listening to today and also to NM I get the impression that there’s not great communication between the people on the ground, running the club day to day, and the overseas owners. If these people start to feel disaffected and that they’re being hung out to dry as it were, then the club will be in trouble.
Maybe they weren’t paid either,I’d be disaffected straight away.

He essentially said, I came into a ? storm, I'm trying to get the owners to change the cash flow situation and there is nothing I can do about the banking system delaying money. An interesting note about season tickets in the East Stand may go down next season - it's been noticeable this season that the stand has been more sparsely populated than normal.

He essentially said, I came into a ? storm, I'm trying to get the owners to change the cash flow situation and there is nothing I can do about the banking system delaying money. An interesting note about season tickets in the East Stand may go down next season - it's been noticeable this season that the stand has been more sparsely populated than normal.

I have said before that our cheapest tickets were over priced for the east stand experience, that we were pricing people out on limited budgets while having loads of empty seats, so I am glad to see that the club have looked into it.

It’s league one football at the end of the day, you have to provide a budget option, even if our ground does limit our other ways to capitalise on extra fans through the gates.

But what's the alternative? The club is losing a couple of mill a year as it is. If we didn't sell players the debt would only increase. We sign players like Nelson who can now leave for nothing, or Hanson who we're stuck with for another 3 years. Loanees potential offer better players, cheaper.

True, although the ground situation is what’s screwing us and until this is sorted then we are always going to be treading water.....

We aren’t a championship club and never will be until....
1, until we get owners who understand what they’re taking on and what they may need to do to make happen,

2, we get rid of the a**e who owns the stadium and gets owned hopefully by the above.

3, fans, fans return and turn our attendance into 5 figures minimum for home support as that is what we will need to try and see stain us in the championship and keep coming no matter what, that way our potential losses won’t be as bad as @Dave T has quite rightly said.

4, we are a selling club but as @DenisSmithWig said any player outstanding will be sold, but if/when we get to the Championship then we may be able to keep ( only if we’ve got fans attending in numbers to help with the finance ) and we maybe able to pick up quality from the lower leagues and from other Championship clubs.

We aren’t a championship club and never will be until....
1, until we get owners who understand what they’re taking on and what they may need to do to make happen,

2, we get rid of the a**e who owns the stadium and gets owned hopefully by the above.

3, fans, fans return and turn our attendance into 5 figures minimum for home support as that is what we will need to try and see stain us in the championship and keep coming no matter what, that way our potential losses won’t be as bad as @Dave T has quite rightly said.

4, we are a selling club but as @DenisSmithWig said any player outstanding will be sold, but if/when we get to the Championship then we may be able to keep ( only if we’ve got fans attending in numbers to help with the finance ) and we maybe able to pick up quality from the lower leagues and from other Championship clubs.
I hope you are joking about point 2.
The last thing OUFC need is for someone to put the club and ground together, a recipe for disaster, we could end up with a nice shiny shopping complex but playing at court farm place, would you seriously trust the owners to do the best for the club over themselves if you give them a free reign.

I hope you are joking about point 2.
The last thing OUFC need is for someone to put the club and ground together, a recipe for disaster, we could end up with a nice shiny shopping complex but playing at court farm place, would you seriously trust the owners to do the best for the club over themselves if you give them a free reign.

Maybe I should have added that there would have to be a covenant in place that the ground can only be used for sport

Back
Top Bottom