OUFC 1970

andystroud

Come on the old people, please help me put names against these sharply dressed guys (and Ken Fish!)

Attachments

• OUFC1970.jpg
    OUFC1970.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 80
1 Gerry Summers
2. Ken Skeene
5. Colin Clarke
7. Dick Lucas
8. Mike Kearns
9. Ron Atkinson
10. Jon Evanson
11. Rodney Smithson

Come on the old people, please help me put names against these sharply dressed guys (and Ken Fish!)
My guess- Jerry Summers, Ken Skeen, not sure, not sure. Colin Clarke with ear towards radio, Mr Fish, Dickie Lucas with radio,Mick Kearns, Big Ron, John Evanson, Rodney Smithson. Possibly a OM pic of sqad awaiting FAC draw.

I've already done it on the Yesteryear thread.
Here goes
Gerry Summers
Ken Skeen
Peter Clinch
Brian Thompson
Colin Clarke
Ken Fish
Dick Lucas
Mick Kearns
Ron Atkinson
John Evanson
Rodney Smithson
Obviously some members of the squad are missing.
Main ones being
Jim Barron
John Shuker
Maurice Kyle
David Sloan
Graham Atkinson
Robin Gladwin
Colin Harrington
John Shepherd
Also, I think they are probably listening to the 3rd round draw as we were in Div 2 and didn't come in until the 3rd round. We drew Stoke at home by the way!

Last edited:
Here goes
Gerry Summers
Ken Skeen
Peter Clinch
Brian Thompson
Colin Clarke
Ken Fish
Dick Lucas
Mick Kearns
Ron Atkinson
John Evanson
Rodney Smithson
Main ones being
Jim Barron
John Shuker
Maurice Kyle
David Sloan
Graham Atkinson
Robin Gladwin
Colin Harrington
John Shepherd
Also, I think they are probably listening to the 3rd round draw as we were in Div 2 and didn't come in until the 3rd round. We drew Stoke at home by the way!

Now you are just showing off! :D

Here goes
Gerry Summers
Ken Skeen
Peter Clinch
Brian Thompson
Colin Clarke
Ken Fish
Dick Lucas
Mick Kearns
Ron Atkinson
John Evanson
Rodney Smithson
Main ones being
Jim Barron
John Shuker
Maurice Kyle
David Sloan
Graham Atkinson
Robin Gladwin
Colin Harrington
John Shepherd
Ken Fish kept em all fit to play ...quite a formidable squad that was .... as @Oufcrealist said OUFC were in old Division 2 , these days The Championship, ...... under Gerry Summers OUFC were relegated, for the first time ever, on the last day of the season, away to ...... Leyton f*****g Orient!

Ken Fish kept em all fit to play ...quite a formidable squad that was .... as @Oufcrealist said OUFC were in old Division 2 , these days The Championship, ...... under Gerry Summers OUFC were relegated, for the first time ever, on the last day of the season, away to ...... Leyton f*****g Orient![/QUOTE]

Was it not Mick Brown that took us down ('76?) - I think Summers started the season but was sacked fairly early on. You're right on the last game, lost 2-1 iirc at Brisbane Road, they were just called 'f*****g Orient' in those days, didn't ressurect the Leyton bit until some years later!

OUFC were in old Division 2 , these days The Championship, ...... under Gerry Summers OUFC were relegated, for the first time ever, on the last day of the season, away to ...... Leyton f*****g Orient!

Stayed up many seasons...as indicated weren’t relegated until plummeting in 1976.

Nice early prototype of the Trump comb-over being sported by Big Ron.

There's a rich seam to be mined in the 70s comb-over Sarge, here's a couple of pearlers:

Bob Stokoe - Manager of the '73 Sunderland FA Cup winning side & John Dempsey - Chelsea player
Bob Stokoe.jpgDempsey.jpg

That takes me back! First game I ever saw at the Manor, beating Burnley in the Cup in January 71, with Ralph Coates playing for them, hair flying everywhere. Seem to remember that Nigel Cassidy, RIP, was in the goals. Evening games at the Manor were very special.
matches under lights at the Manor ....recalled through yellow, ( or with this sat in mind -for one game only Orange ),tinted specs.... were special times for sure, as most who experienced them, especially during the glory years of the 80s, will agree @Oxe :cool:

those (really were) the days (my friend) ....:)

Last edited:
matches under lights at the Manor ....recalled through yellow, ( or with this sat in mind -for one game only Orange ),tinted specs.... were special times for sure, as most who experienced them, especially during the glory years of the 80s, will agree @Oxe :cool:

those (really were) the days (my friend) ....:)

They were indeed! :) Walking to the ground with the floodlights shining through the trees, tin under my arm (I needed it to look over the wall, standing in the Beech Road stand), watching Big Ron charging down the wing, wreathed in steam from the exertion, roar of the crowds... Very happy days!

Back
Top Bottom