Sport Olympic Games - Tokyo 2020

You wonder how the modern Olympics can last without a drastic rethink. The enthusiasm for the Tokyo games is at an all time low and I can’t blame them. No spectators, major athletes dropping out due to COVID, colossal costs and a year long delay. Even without COVID, they are a massive drain on resources and can leave a lot of rusting infrastructure if you don’t plan correctly (Athens and Rio come to mind for the Olympics, South Africa for the World Cup). The only way you really can host a ‘successful’ Olympics is have private investors sponsor the bejesus out of it and it becomes a soulless corporate event (US-hosted Olympics have been generally profitable events as a result) and ensure that the infrastructure is handed to someone afterwards – London 2012’s legacy has generally shown that to be the case. Without those, the only nations wishing to host will be those with power mad leaders wishing to show off or those with a strict balance sheet.

Nevertheless, it’ll hopefully prove a positive distraction for the next fortnight or so and a chance for us to become armchair experts in less high profile sports we tend not to see. C’mon Team GB in skateboarding, archery and modern pentathlon!

I went to a couple of 2012 events which in some way sums up the games, a double headed game of football at Coventry which in reality were terrible, but there was a real feeling of togetherness with a real multinational crowd, the other event was the sprint kayak at Eaton dornay , the standard was high due to the calibre of the paddlers, the support from the Hungarian fans was like being at a football match, i generally enjoy all of it

Brazil v Germany on now (men's)
Decent game, Brazil currently 1-0 up.

The likes of Pedri, Eric Garcia, Unai Simon and Pau Torres must be knackered. They make the semis of the Euros and now make up the numbers for the Spain Olympic squad.

Give them a break, someone!

Opening ceremony.................. don`t do drugs kids..... o_O :)
Japan is out there at the best of times, god knows what they did for this. I may have to catch up on it later, there had better have been manga, giant robots, and anime girls. If not the pitchforks will be getting an airing.

Japan is out there at the best of times, god knows what they did for this. I may have to catch up on it later, there had better have been manga, giant robots, and anime girls. If not the pitchforks will be getting an airing.
There are Goths............... twiddly things on sticks........ people with odd socks..... fireworks..... nice stadium..... I`ve got an idea....

Cycling road race was f*****g brutal

No team GB medals .... best placed was 9th

Freak crash didnt help either

Last edited:
Team GB women finally break down Japan to go 1-0 up with 15 mins to go

Now we are talking, Judo is on. Nothing screams 'OLYMPICS' like watching an obscure sport you'd never get to see. First gold for the hosts.

My interest in the olympics was me and my 3 year old had a choice cartoon spider man or the olympics guess which one im watching

Now we are talking, Judo is on. Nothing screams 'OLYMPICS' like watching an obscure sport you'd never get to see. First gold for the hosts.

Modern pentathlon is the event I oddly look forward to only because the story behind it is rather cool. From Wikipedia:

‘As the events of the ancient pentathlon were modeled after the skills of the ideal soldier to defend a castle of that time, [Pierre de] Coubertin created the contest to simulate the experience of a 19th-century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight enemies with pistol and sword, swim, and run to return to his own soldiers.’

Yes please!

Back
Top Bottom