EPL Ol' Chippy

Concretebob

Looking on thin ice now - heading for another defeat. 1 point in 12 games now.

He was a big part of them getting promoted, but they are completely out of their depth at the moment. I suppose they'll 'do a Norwich' by taking the parachute money and strengthening again for another go. Whether Wilder will be there to spend it is another matter.

The owner has backed Wilder regardless if they go down.

Makes sense to me. He took them from League 1 to Premier League in two seasons and top half finish last season. Even if they go down he will have a great team for the Championship and would get them up again.

The owner has backed Wilder regardless if they go down.

Makes sense to me. He took them from League 1 to Premier League in two seasons and top half finish last season. Even if they go down he will have a great team for the Championship and would get them up again.

Even if they go down with a worse record than Derby in 2007/08? Because as it stands they are statistically doing worse than that!

Ah, the dreaded "vote of confidence" from the chairman....

I'm not sure anyone would keep them up this season so not much to be gained from sacking Wilder. Especially as I see his style better suited to the Championship and would be in a great place to take them up again.

He is paying the price for his famed stubborness - McBurnie, McGoldrick & Sharp are (at best) Championship forwards and on the limited game time Brewstwer has had so far, he seems to have spunked away a lot of money on him too
Villa famously got relegated a few years ago due to their similarly poor forward line and the Blades look likely to follow suit
Agree that it probably isn't worth sacking him now but he could do with somebody by his side who doesn't always agree with him

He is paying the price for his famed stubborness - McBurnie, McGoldrick & Sharp are (at best) Championship forwards and on the limited game time Brewstwer has had so far, he seems to have spunked away a lot of money on him too
Villa famously got relegated a few years ago due to their similarly poor forward line and the Blades look likely to follow suit
Agree that it probably isn't worth sacking him now but he could do with somebody by his side who doesn't always agree with him

You can add some crap signings Wilder paid over the odds for in the summer too.

How much did they spend over the summer? I struggle to believe that they had *that* much to spend?

I believe its not a happy changing room with lots of the players that got them promoted and did so well last sitting on £4000 a week contracts with some of the new boys on nearly 10 times that, and not being offered decent new contracts which is why Lundstram wants away.

They paid £22 million for Berge for example...
Blimey - I had assumed from their performance so far that they'd basically just stuck with last season's squad. If (as in Coffin Dodger's post) there are ructions in the dressing room - and I could see why there would be - as well as having spent considerable amounts then they are in a tough spot.

Can't blame Lundstram - firstly the money thing and secondly Berge was tending to be favoured above him anyway

especially as from the (admittedly fairly limited) bits I have seen of Berge he is nothing special at all

How much did they spend over the summer? I struggle to believe that they had *that* much to spend?
In 2020 they have spent £64m on 3 players - £22m on Berge, £23.5m on Brewster, and £18.5m on Ramsdale (there has also been a few 'undisclosed' fees).

Back
Top Bottom