EPL Ol' Chippy

People always say "modern football is rubbish", "game's gone" and so on when a manager is sacked...see sacking Ranieri at Leicester for example. But the cold hard facts of it is that a dressing room is often lost on the way down and that seems to be the way it is going at the moment at Bramall Lane. I'm sure the Prince secretly cares naught for Wilder's status as a Sheffield United folk hero, certainly in comparison with the money lost if they go down. Ironically, they'll probably go down anyway and be in a worse state.

Incidentally, some of the comments on their message board! They don't ask for much up in Sheffield do they? :oops:

I hope it comes together for them. Hes a brilliant manager. Made this club proud again.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Well whatever happens, he'll be able to say he took his club up to the Premier League from League 1. Been there done it from ball boy, youth team, fan, player all the way to manager, and then as manager from League 1 to the Premier League when the club had struggled for many years.

Last season they were almost there until the CV19 break on the brink of the Europa league. But dropped to a 9th place finish, for a club that was never expected to be anything other than relegation fodder.

Perhaps he will get the boot, but I guess will be popular around the Championship clubs looking for a manager who's got an EPL promotion under their belt. (With Allan Knill of course). And probably the Sheffield United fans will look back and remember him like we do Jim Smith.

As dire as it is at the moment, I would be amazed if any fan could really throw criticism at CW for the past few years he has given them since he took control.

Hope they pull through but it is looking bleak.... second season syndrome.

I’d say the period when they ‘stick with him’ is over. No other manager, even the likes of Dyche, in the PL would survive one win in opening 12 games, 5 goals scored and barely registering a shot on target in a lot of games. It’s clearly not working and he should be axed in my opinion.

A very good manager who will land another very good job but his time is up at Sheffield.

I saw today’s game and Southampton ‘toyed’ with Sheffield U for long periods.

Berge and Brewster look like disastrous deals. Massive fees spent by CW.

Wilder disingenuous with his post match interview for me although he does give some credit to Saints:

Probably earn more money in his next job so I wouldn’t feel to sorry for him, will walk into a good championship job once Sheffield United pull the trigger after his success there.

£18.5m for Ramsdale?! Bloody hell. No wonder Bournemouth are fine and dandy in the Championship when the Blades have horrifically overpaid for the English equivalent of Wayne Hennessy.

I think it’s been mentioned above but that tossing of money around has had the reverse effect. Players signed for big fees and lucrative deals will certainly P**s off the incumbents. Did it really have to be done in that way?

Norwich are a fine example of a side that are a non-moneybags side that are approaching the PL in the right way. Get promoted, don’t overspend, don’t panic about relegation, get promoted again with the revenues achieved when in the top flight. Yo-yo-ing when you are one of those big-but-not-massive clubs is fine when done right. They suggested that they would return a profit this year (although COVID may well have impacted that). They were debt free in 2018 too.

As for CW, the Blades would be good to stick with him, I think. Maybe consider what the exit plan is post-January and start planning for the 2021-22 campaign in getting promoted from the Championship. There’s no point throwing good money after bad when the situation could be hopeless by then anyway.

£18.5m for Ramsdale?! Bloody hell. No wonder Bournemouth are fine and dandy in the Championship when the Blades have horrifically overpaid for the English equivalent of Wayne Hennessy.

I think it’s been mentioned above but that tossing of money around has had the reverse effect. Players signed for big fees and lucrative deals will certainly P**s off the incumbents. Did it really have to be done in that way?

Norwich are a fine example of a side that are a non-moneybags side that are approaching the PL in the right way. Get promoted, don’t overspend, don’t panic about relegation, get promoted again with the revenues achieved when in the top flight. Yo-yo-ing when you are one of those big-but-not-massive clubs is fine when done right. They suggested that they would return a profit this year (although COVID may well have impacted that). They were debt free in 2018 too.

As for CW, the Blades would be good to stick with him, I think. Maybe consider what the exit plan is post-January and start planning for the 2021-22 campaign in getting promoted from the Championship. There’s no point throwing good money after bad when the situation could be hopeless by then anyway.
Bournemouth sold well in the summer (Ake to Citeh for £41m, Wilson to Newcastle for £20m, and Ramsdale for £18.5m (plus a bunch of minor sub-£1m deals). Doubled their money on Ake, £17.5m profit on Ramsdale in 3 years (Wilder sold him to Bournemouth for £1m), and £17m profit for Wilson (albeit over a long time).

Re Sheff United, the Burge transfer was the really weird one, really upset the squad balance at a time they were doing well with a team built on harmony and working together.

I wonder whether CW didn’t learn his lesson from the time he was here the team that took us from non league into league two if he had kept that team together he might have achieved two promotions with us but he got rid of certain players and I wonder if he’s doing the same now that team he had last season just needed a couple of players but he maybe went abit money happy crazy to be honest tho I’m not to fussed Sheffield don’t mean anything to me and and CW walked out on us

The vast majority of managerships don't end happily for one reason or another. But (whether I thought Wilder was an engaging character or not) he was a good manager for us and did what needed to be done - that day at Wembley is one not to be forgotten.
So while, like you, I don't care about Sheffield Utd at all - I do wish Wilder well. He may have reached the ceiling of what he is capable of mind you!

On the keeper, CW had no choice but to sign a new one when he couldn't get Dean Henderson back on loan.

On the keeper, CW had no choice but to sign a new one when he couldn't get Dean Henderson back on loan.
Yeah, but £18.5m for Ramsdale! I've got some magic beans for him if he is flashing cash like that.

The transfers they made are the standard going rate for average Premier League players now.

Back
Top Bottom