International News Oh you silly thing.....?

Not sure that advertising butter is selling his soul really! Like most thing Pistols-history related, there are several points of view on everything and so much has been made up or mythologised since that any 'truth' is almost impossible to get at. But the Jones-Cook axis of the band was really where it grew from and I think they saw everyone else (Lydon, Matlock and certainly poor old Sid) as joining their band. I'm not sure they were ever one big happy family!

One of the most over-rated bands of all time? (says me with two original Sex Pistols vinyls (NMTB and TGRnRS if that counts as an SP album) downstairs in my collection).

he did that butter advert to fund a tour. saw PIL at oxford 02 academy and he was taking the P**s out of it

One of the most over-rated bands of all time? (says me with two original Sex Pistols vinyls (NMTB and TGRnRS if that counts as an SP album) downstairs in my collection).
No. They made a stonking album and a few excellent singles before Lydon quit and it wasn't really the Pistols any more. Those records, their attitude and their gigs made a lasting impression on music at the time which still echoes (to some degree) over 40 years later. (The 'No Future' recordings contain some excellent versions of their early stuff as well). I think it's difficult to imagine (or remember if you were there) how exciting it all was at the time.

I think there is something to be said for young snotty bands to say what they've got to say and then to split up. (Lydon's PiL of course were also excellent, the rest of them did nothing of real note. Which says something IMO)

No. They made a stonking album and a few excellent singles before Lydon quit and it wasn't really the Pistols any more. Those records, their attitude and their gigs made a lasting impression on music at the time which still echoes (to some degree) over 40 years later. (The 'No Future' recordings contain some excellent versions of their early stuff as well). I think it's difficult to imagine (or remember if you were there) how exciting it all was at the time.

I think there is something to be said for young snotty bands to say what they've got to say and then to split up. (Lydon's PiL of course were also excellent, the rest of them did nothing of real note. Which says something IMO)
I quite liked em .... attitude over ability ( certainly after sid replaced matty) though, albeit they 'looked' the part :sneaky:

Which is all fair enough and not doubting the splash they made at the time, it was certainly significant. But I think they have become more legend than substance these days.

To try and quantify my thoughts, I'm a massive Joy Division fan, but I also think they have become massively over-rated as well. They produced 2 Albums and some undoubted quality, but again I think they are held in much higher regard by fans than perhaps they should be.

@Sarge - I always thought their ability was rather downplayed. Matlock was a fine bassist, and (though a bit limited) Steve Jones and Paul Cook did what they did very well. Having Sid in the band was stupid, he was a liability. Lydon's sneering vocals were certainly unusual, but without them the Pistols would have been much more ordinary.

@SteMerritt - I think you are right in a way. Listening to their stuff now doesn't give you the same feeling as it did them. It was (like much music and other pop culture) a product of and relevant to the times in which it was made, and familiarity has certainly dulled the edge (so far as musical/lyrical shock tactics are concerned, although the music still sounds pretty powerful to me). There *is* a lot of legend - all you can do (as with early Joy Division) is to listen to and enjoy their best work and try to ignore the nonsense hype that surrounds them. Oh and sell that RnRS album. It's rubbish! ;)

@Sarge - I always thought their ability was rather downplayed. Matlock was a fine bassist, and (though a bit limited) Steve Jones and Paul Cook did what they did very well. Having Sid in the band was stupid, he was a liability. Lydon's sneering vocals were certainly unusual, but without them the Pistols would have been much more ordinary.

@SteMerritt - I think you are right in a way. Listening to their stuff now doesn't give you the same feeling as it did them. It was (like much music and other pop culture) a product of and relevant to the times in which it was made, and familiarity has certainly dulled the edge (so far as musical/lyrical shock tactics are concerned, although the music still sounds pretty powerful to me). There *is* a lot of legend - all you can do (as with early Joy Division) is to listen to and enjoy their best work and try to ignore the nonsense hype that surrounds them. Oh and sell that RnRS album. It's rubbish! ;)
Ive been lucky enough, to meet ( and chat to for a while on more than a few occasions) , Glen Matlock - he tells a good story for sure :)

Ive been lucky enough, to meet ( and chat to for a while on more than a few occasions) , Glen Matlock - he tells a good story for sure :)
I think they all do, Sarge. The trick is to not quite believe any of them!

Nags Head in Wycombe in `76............. mental and truly special, got a lift with an older lad off the estate 6 people in his Datsun! Still got the ticket stashed away in the sleeve of NMTB`s.
And, if memory serves...... and it is very rusty, a bit like Phil`s Datsun was.......... the Pistols played at the Dolly under the pseudonym of the Red Stripes mid to late 1977?

Which is all fair enough and not doubting the splash they made at the time, it was certainly significant. But I think they have become more legend than substance these days.

To try and quantify my thoughts, I'm a massive Joy Division fan, but I also think they have become massively over-rated as well. They produced 2 Albums and some undoubted quality, but again I think they are held in much higher regard by fans than perhaps they should be.
Pistols and Joy Division not overrated at all, both fantastic and important, but not for very long, as you say! See also Nirvana (a bit less fantastic) - we'd all be bored of them now if they were drooping around releasing Americana albums and solo projects, though at least we would have been spared the Foo Fighters.

Back
Top Bottom