National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Hi. I think all your points have been discussed and debated at length on here across various threads over the past four years, but I'll have a go at summarising!

Brexit has proved to be at the core of political discussion on here since the issue was first raised four years ago. Few expected a 'Leave' vote, and progress towards a workable Leave deal with the EU proved torturous and divisive.

Farage and UKIP latched on to feelings of disquiet amongst people in once 'safe' Labour seats in our industrial and post-industrial heartlands. People felt betrayed by the traditional parties and considered their needs and wants were being ignored by them. At the same time, a surge in nationalism resulted in anti-EU sentiment and the feeling that Britain could benefit from leaving the bloc.

The rise of a more extreme Labour party backed by hard core Momentum and willingly led by Corbyn alienated many traditional Labour voters, particularly those who favoured Brexit and looked for leadership towards leaving the EU. Corbyn did not provide this, and Johnson (not historically a Leaver) was clever enough to pick a slogan ('Let's get Brexit done') that appealed to many. Traditional political allegiances had changed.

So, come last Thursday, a mix of mistrust of Corbyn's brand of politics and Johnson's repetition of his Brexit mantra led to a Tory landslide. A Tory victory was not unexpected, but its scale was astounding.

(For reference, I am left of centre in my politics, but in no way an extremist, and voted 'Remain'. Hope the above is rational and unbiased though).

Thanks Pete for walking me thru the last 4 years! :)
We’ve gone thru the trump phenomenon here and I believe he got in just because people had “had enough” particularly of both parties and I wondered how big the brexit fatigue had had a bearing. Ie people voting Tory when they otherwise wouldn’t (I know a lot of democratic voters voted for trump)

Last edited:
I think it would be easy to say it is all brexit. Liberals were well beaten because in my view they were prepared to cancel brexit without a vote.
Corbyn was beaten, I believe, because he has little personality. He has perceived links to terrorist sympathisers. His slogan for the many, not the few, didn’t work as middle income earners thought they would be out of pocket.
Corbyn didn’t proclaim to have a view on brexit, although he has held one in the past.
Johnson despite many misgivings was seen as someone who wanted to get on and carry out day to day business. He could see the public were fed up with brexit.
I for one think Corbyn was too old to be a leader...he would be nearly 80 in five years time. There also doesn’t appear to be any natural successor to him.
Although Johnson was only in office a matter of months he was able to enjoy a honeymoon period. The Brexit Party had enjoyed electoral success in the European elections and their standing down at so many northern seats enabled them to allow the Conservatives in

Thanks for the insight Peter, all interesting stuff!

Last edited:
... Apart from the national vote they would have had to win, whilst campaigning on a promise of cancelling Brexit, you mean. Apart from that vote, there would be no vote on the issue... ?
Very true, but of course it was unlikely

Very true, but of course it was unlikely
Yes, very unlikely. It would have been interesting if there was a hung parliament and what conditions the LD would require to form a government. In that case, what you say with regards not winning a vote would come into play. Just speculation now though with the comprehensive result we have.

I think we were all surprised by the verdict.
Curiously only an 80 seat majority. In the past Maggie had 100+ in 1983 and 1987

Harder and harder to take for anyone who would dearly love to support and vote for a moderate left-leaning party. Just f**k off Jeremy. In vox pop interview after vox pop interview the good people of previous Labour strongholds in the north and midlands are mentioning two factors for voting Tory: Johnson's promise to 'get Brexit done' and Corbyn's extremist (in their eyes) agenda and absence of likability.

Johnson has played a blinder on the first issue, Corbyn has failed miserably to make Labour electable. Yet rather than just retiring as party leader immediately, Corbyn wants to be involved in re-shaping Labour. Doesn't he get it? Labour is tarnished by the association. Just pass the party to someone more capable of restoring it, like Kier Starmer.

I actually did vote Labour on Thursday as a futile protest against the smug Tory MP for Louth & Horncastle who does nothing for her constituents yet increases her majority election on election, but will I vote Labour again until this shower of shite is sorted out? Probably not.
Agree with this, he is about as welcome as a fart in a lift. He is hanging around to try and keep labour where he wants the party to be, not where it needs to be. In 2017 the labour manifesto committed to leaving the EU, by 2019 he had caved in to the Islington possy. The northern half of the country did not forgive him, he is weak.

And away from the navel contemplation of the remnants of anything left of centre in domestic politics, the UK sets it's new course for the Brave New World we have emphatically chosen:

Happy travels and God Bless all on board for the ride.

The LAST supper:
Soubry, Umunna, Wollaston, Allen .... all finished for now.

EL0Wd7wWsAAYLGw

There was a very interesting article in the Sunday Times, by Jason Cowley, the editor of the New Statesman (left of centre magazine)
He was so despondent about Corbyn, he unusually, refused to endorse him. Those Labour leaders blaming the defeat on Brexit and the newspapers are not facing the truth.
Cowley's view is that the Tories will now be in for another decade.
I really hope not, but the pathetic ' excuses' for the huge defeat by some of the Labour politicians worries the hell out of me

There was a very interesting article in the Sunday Times, by Jason Cowley, the editor of the New Statesman (left of centre magazine)
He was so despondent about Corbyn, he unusually, refused to endorse him. Those Labour leaders blaming the defeat on Brexit and the newspapers are not facing the truth.
Cowley's view is that the Tories will now be in for another decade.
I really hope not, but the pathetic ' excuses' for the huge defeat by some of the Labour politicians worries the hell out of me
The 'you just don't understand that we're right even though we got trounced' mantra is indeed very worrying. I fear another hard left leader will replace Corbyn and Labour will be a noisy but very ineffective and impotent opposition. If I'm correct, a candidate for the leadership only needs 10% of labour MPs to back them to go to the membership vote which following the £3 gift from Miliband now contains many Momentum folk. So fairly easy to get on the ballot paper and then it's up to a hard left membership to vote.

Stephen Kinnock spoke a lot of sense on Question Time this week.

The LAST supper:
Soubry, Umunna, Wollaston, Allen .... all finished for now.

EL0Wd7wWsAAYLGw
Don’t forget the vacuous face of New Labour at the end of the table. Take your time Jezza, don’t cave in to the pressure for a quick leader ship election, it is not the job of the Party to provide cheap headlines. A considered Leadership debate with coherent candidate is what is required.
Am I the only one who is bemused by the fact of a member of our privileged Class ‘lending’ from among the poorest their votes to ensure his Class maintain their privileged position and the depth of their wallet? Having said that, I hope to be among the first to try out the new cycle-track in Wakefield as communication gaps between the north and London are tackled.

Don’t forget the vacuous face of New Labour at the end of the table. Take your time Jezza, don’t cave in to the pressure for a quick leader ship election, it is not the job of the Party to provide cheap headlines. A considered Leadership debate with coherent candidate is what is required.
Out of interest, do you think that Labour should be going for the votes of the moderate voters as well as trying to win back the Labour heartlands that have been lost and trying to win the next election?
Or have the electorate all been wrong and once Brexit is sorted all of the voters will vote labour?

Out of interest, do you think that Labour should be going for the votes of the moderate voters as well as trying to win back the Labour heartlands that have been lost and trying to win the next election?
Or have the electorate all been wrong and once Brexit is sorted all of the voters will vote labour?
Yes

Caroline Flint looks about the only one who,could put them back on the right path.
if they keep to left wing leaders they might well be out of office for fifteen years.
A quick recovery is surely unlikely given the loss of so many candidates who had experience of office. I bet Dennis Skinner didn’t expect to be ejected by the electorate

The Labour Party now have to face the uncomfortable truth, that despite all the warning signs that they were going to suffer humiliation at this GE, They stumbled on into it with the wrong leader, the wrong policies and the wrong messages.
Surely, surely, out there on the streets of Anytown, Labour activists ears echoed with the deafening sound of rejection?
How did they fail to see the abyss of opinion that lay between them and their electorate beforehand?
I fail to see how a party can be so adrift of their electorate from within.
What credible reason can there now be for Jeremy Corbyn to remain in charge?
The very start of rebuilding needs for him to resign immediately, not for him to use his withering influence to select an ‘approved’ successor/clone to his broken movement.

Back
Top Bottom