National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

I’ve seen what the pun they’ll use will be - something about being Carbon Neutral and Corbyn Neutral. BJ used it when they launched the manifesto. 50p says it’ll get a big run out this week.

So suggesting there should be a different set of rules to control who enters our country, is responsible for and then gives licence and incites some idiot(s) at football matches to shape there body like an ape and give monkey chants.
IMO Gary Neville is wrong on this one.

So suggesting there should be a different set of rules to control who enters our country, is responsible for and then gives licence and incites some idiot(s) at football matches to shape there body like an ape and give monkey chants.
IMO Gary Neville is wrong on this one.
Divisive language, personal attacks, and negative slur tactics, embolden those who lack the foresight to see what is happening in the press and social media around this election.

Now this is very, very interesting.

Was listening to some discussion on morning tv where they said that in 2017 there was a big undercurrent of support for Labour that wasn't spotted. Social media influences and the views of younger voters weren't recognised as well as they are today. So whilst @Sarge is right in that the only relevant poll in on Thursday, the polls in the lead up are likely to be more accurate than 2 years ago.

The problem is in how those polls equate to seats. Safe Tory seats going from 50-60% of the vote is meaningless, as would going from 10-20% in safe Labour seats. The marginals are where the election will be won or lost, and their are still to many variables to estimate results with any certainty.

My guess will be that most Tory seats are fairly safe, and leave votes are far more likely to stuck with the Tories. Labour seats are a little less secure, as some traditional seats also had high numbers of leave voters. Those wanting to remain could have their vote split between Labour and Lib Dems (although their gamble appears to have back fired). Over all, I suspect a fairly decent Tory majority (around 30) will be the outcome, with enough to push Brexit, in whatever capacity, through. However, there won't be a landslide and how Labour rebuild will be important for the long term balance between the parties.

Was listening to some discussion on morning tv where they said that in 2017 there was a big undercurrent of support for Labour that wasn't spotted. Social media influences and the views of younger voters weren't recognised as well as they are today. So whilst @Sarge is right in that the only relevant poll in on Thursday, the polls in the lead up are likely to be more accurate than 2 years ago.

The problem is in how those polls equate to seats. Safe Tory seats going from 50-60% of the vote is meaningless, as would going from 10-20% in safe Labour seats. The marginals are where the election will be won or lost, and their are still to many variables to estimate results with any certainty.

My guess will be that most Tory seats are fairly safe, and leave votes are far more likely to stuck with the Tories. Labour seats are a little less secure, as some traditional seats also had high numbers of leave voters. Those wanting to remain could have their vote split between Labour and Lib Dems (although their gamble appears to have back fired). Over all, I suspect a fairly decent Tory majority (around 30) will be the outcome, with enough to push Brexit, in whatever capacity, through. However, there won't be a landslide and how Labour rebuild will be important for the long term balance between the parties.
Ive a feeling tactical voting may play a role of sorts in this GE , albeit in marginals in the main... there have been a few 'alliances' ( lib dem/green/ plaid ' .... and tory/ brexit party) forged too.... if as few as 41000 vote tactically in just some 'marginal or swing seats the demographic will change after this GE

Now who should I vote for, a party who, although its leader is un popular with a lot of people its policies at least from the outside look as if they look to support the most vulnerable members of our community.
Yes that party does seen have a problem with anti seminism ( is that spelt right?) that needs addressing.
Alternatively the other party that has blamed its opposition of causing the WORLD crash of 2008 for the last 9 years.
This party took the decision to balance the books with austerity remember, we are all in this together. Except for the ones that are not. They chose to "balance the books" by cutting the services that the most vulnerable in our community needed to keep their heads above water. Year upon year of salary freeze for millions.
The same party are now lead by a proven liar who cares about no one but himself, who will say & do anything to retain being "king of the world."
Brexit is a huge smoke screen being used highly successfully by one party in order that we forget the last 10 years where the rich have hardly been touched by austerity while the people who could least afford it have been hammered.
Austerity will continue. I know it's almost a loss according to the polls but surprise surprise I'm being in Abingdon voting lib dem.
These are the personal feelings of a 65 year old, x shop steward. Worked for the same company all my working life & loved most of it.

• React
Reactions: QR
Corbyn’s Labour Party are one of only two political parties to have ever been investigated by The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

The other being the BNP.
And the anti-Semitism splash in the Sunday Times today does them no favours and contradicts stuff said by Corbyn recently. The fact 200 Labour candidates have no mention of Comrade Corbyn in their leaflets show unpopular he is in the real world that isn't Momentum or Islington. Perhaps the reason why Labour could lose this election - not policy, not Brexit, but Corbyn.

This is something I have felt for some time too:

As for polls, they have readjusted their methods after 2015 and 2017, but this election will be down to some very marginals that will be hard to predict - hence why I'm not sure of the optimistic Tory projections of a 40+ majority that are floating around - it feels off. However, it seems some Labour MPs in those marginals have been hung out to dry by Momentum - just so many dynamics in play at the moment - so the local polling could be right. Will those Tory remainers see the tea leaves and be more worried about Labour than Remaining in the EU?

The fact Boris has got this far without majorly messing up is a miracle for the Tories and an annoyance for Labour.

Ive a feeling tactical voting may play a role of sorts in this GE , albeit in marginals in the main... there have been a few 'alliances' ( lib dem/green/ plaid ' .... and tory/ brexit party) forged too.... if as few as 41000 vote tactically in just some 'marginal or swing seats the demographic will change after this GE
The tactical vote thing has kind of died on it's a**e recently; the Brexit Party rather snuffed the fire out in that regard. But I do think it will play a factor in this election, but where? For every seat in the South East the Tories lose, what can they gain in the Midlands and North? It's so close.

The tactical vote thing has kind of died on it's a**e recently; the Brexit Party rather snuffed the fire out in that regard. But I do think it will play a factor in this election, but where? For every seat in the South East the Tories lose, what can they gain in the Midlands and North? It's so close.
its gonna be closer than many pundits think IMO

Note that old Baldrick has just ripped up his Labour Party membership. The moderate Labour Party members must be in despair. They should have properly broken away six months ago.

And the anti-Semitism splash in the Sunday Times today does them no favours and contradicts stuff said by Corbyn recently. The fact 200 Labour candidates have no mention of Comrade Corbyn in their leaflets show unpopular he is in the real world that isn't Momentum or Islington. Perhaps the reason why Labour could lose this election - not policy, not Brexit, but Corbyn.

As for polls, they have readjusted their methods after 2015 and 2017, but this election will be down to some very marginals that will be hard to predict - hence why I'm not sure of the optimistic Tory projections of a 40+ majority that are floating around - it feels off. However, it seems some Labour MPs in those marginals have been hung out to dry by Momentum - just so many dynamics in play at the moment - so the local polling could be right. Will those Tory remainers see the tea leaves and be more worried about Labour than Remaining in the EU?

The fact Boris has got this far without majorly messing up is a miracle for the Tories and an annoyance for Labour.
Why is it a ‘ miracle’? He’s a good politician, 20 times more effective on the stump than his predecessor.

You lost me when you referenced Sunday Times ?

Why is it a ‘ miracle’? He’s a good politician, 20 times more effective on the stump than his predecessor.
Because he has a penchant at times for saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing when he's not engaged in the process. I do respect Boris, but there is always a knife edge that he operates under.

I do read the Sunday Times from time to time. Never felt I was missing out.

Back
Top Bottom