National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Agree with everything but not making voting mandatory, if people are not interested/can’t be arsed what is to be gained from forcing them to vote (not that it would be easy to do)? A load of disinterested people spoiling or putting a cross anywhere doesn’t improve our democracy, in fact if you are completely uninterested then it’s arguably a nobler course to not vote than to just go and put a cross where the people you follow on social media have.
I agree about not making voting mandatory, I want to vote but my vote has to be earned, I wont just give it away. None of this lot come close to earning it.

Approaching 2m new voter registrations now .....

The numbers are abit misleading, as apparently a large chunk is people already registered and are just updating their details/didn't know they were registered. This group obviously tends to include young people more as they are more mobile.
Nevertheless, what is clear is that more people this year have the intention to vote, which of course is a good thing.

Would anyone vote Labour after seeing Corbyn's performance on the Andrew Neill show tonight?

The German system is a very good one here. Two crosses to be made, one for which party you want to rule the country (and the Chancellor) and one for who you want to rule your district. Perfectly reasonable to then vote differently for who you think will be best on a local level and who you want to see running the country.
So PR seems to work and the German parties seem to work together (unlike the Italians for example)
Are there ever issues that cant be resolved aa the parties simply dont agree and so they cant be resolved, or is there normally a compromise?

It was pretty bad, but saying that everyone looks bad after an Andrew Neil interview. Sturgeon was worse.

Is BoJo running the Andrew Neill gauntlet during the campaign?
I know Neill tore him a new one in July over GATT so it wouldn't surprise me if BoJo ducks him this time round.

So PR seems to work and the German parties seem to work together (unlike the Italians for example)
Are there ever issues that cant be resolved aa the parties simply dont agree and so they cant be resolved, or is there normally a compromise?

infografik_8613_regierungskoalitionen_in_den_bundeslaendern_deutschlands_n.jpg

The breakdown of Germany and the remaining gaps between the former East and West means everyone has compromised with everyone else at some point on some level, apart from the AfD (UKIP equivalent) with whom nobody at government level has the time of day coalition-wise despite the numbers they pull. The reason is quite simply that the country and individual counties are so split up (still) that people have to seek coalitions. We've got the Grand Coalition in power of course, Berlin is SPD (Labour), Left and Greens, Brandenburg is now "Kenya" (SPD, CDU (Merkel) and Greens) and mixtures of all of them including the CSU and independents in Bavaria and the FDP (Libs) in the richer west.

(The graphic is just as an example from 2017...the SPD have tanked since then and the Greens are on the march in their place)

There are still some absolute shysters around of course, and absolutely b*gger all seems to get done at times (Germans having a reputation for efficiency is the biggest sack of sh*te ever) but it seems, how can I put it, a bit more "adult" here than what's going on in the UK at the moment.

Is BoJo running the Andrew Neill gauntlet during the campaign?
I know Neill tore him a new one in July over GATT so it wouldn't surprise me if BoJo ducks him this time round.

Him and Swinson scheduled to take the beating next week. Agree regarding johnson, his smartest move would be to bow out.

Would anyone vote Labour after seeing Corbyn's performance on the Andrew Neill show tonight?
The same Andrew Neil who served many years as a Murdoch lackey and then a Daily Mail columnist, who supported the Bush / Blair war in Iraq, who denies climate change etc etc etc? No interest whatsoever in how he treats anyone...so the answer to the question is a resounding "yes"!

Yes Andrew Neil worked for the Murdoch's but please challenge him about it on Twitter and you will understand why he's a journalist rather than a partisan hack on papers like the Mail and Grauniad.

The takedown of unprepared MPs and politicians is a joy to behold. Sadly, leftie snowflakes cant take the pressure of a proper investigation so the supporters bleat about bias because he exposes their safe spaces. I'm sure James Cleverley is fed up of being the Tory of choice to go on his shows because others are too scared of Neil...

The German system is a very good one here. Two crosses to be made, one for which party you want to rule the country (and the Chancellor) and one for who you want to rule your district. Perfectly reasonable to then vote differently for who you think will be best on a local level and who you want to see running the country.

As I would on the 12th given the chance.

That was a train wreck of an interview.

Dim, economically illiterate, petulant, indecisive, unwilling to defend our country, inarticulate, shifty. Not up to the job of running a parish council let alone being leader of HM opposition.

Remember when we had impressive men running the Labour Party like Kinnock and Smith. Remember when political set piece interviewers were polite and urbane. Those days are long gone.

EKVTX-NXYAAgN3u

The basic preparation for any interview is to think about the questions likely to be asked and prepare your response. Corbyn must have known the Neill would go hard on the anti-semitism concerns on the day that the Chief Rabbi made his comments, yet couldn't structure anything like a proper response.

He could, and should have given an unequivocal apology for ALL previous comments, admit that under his leadership there had not been enough action on those making comments, that he had personally got this wrong but he was committed to getting it right in the future. He could have finished by saying that he will personally meet with the Chief Rabbi to apologise and work with him and all faith leaders to establish once again that Labour is the party for all. He would have still taken a hit, but would have come out with more credibility.

Brexit is the major issue of this campaign and he must have known that this would come up. I actually think that despite months/years of dithering on the matter, his position of remaining neutral isn't a bad one. But he can't present this in a way in which he looks anything other than weak. He could have said that Brexit is not for political parties to dictate, but for each individual MP to decide on what is right for them and those they represent. He should have acknowledged the harm caused on all sides of the debate and why it is now essential that the Prime Minister puts aside any personal belief but remains impartial to ensure the will of the people is delivered. He would have still be criticised for the lack of leadership on this for so long but would have a clearer role going forward, and this may have appealed to remain voters whilst not alienating leave voters. But he did nothing.

The final question about compensating the women who had lost out with the state pension was almost the worst, even coming after the first two car crashes. He was in a great position to talk of the moral responsibility to support them and how this was fundamental to Labour principles. He spoke of doing the right thing and this should have been an opportunity to finish on a high. But not knowing how this would be paid was a real school boy error which would have been bad enough in itself if it had happened once. But the fact that the same question was asked a dozen times with more and more petulant refusals to answer only reinforced that Labour can't be trusted with our money.

And this had nothing to do with any political bias by Neill as is being suggested. All politicians get the same rough ride, and I'm sure Johnson will look equally as stupid next week. But this was an opportunity for Corbyn to really lead and he blew it!

BJ looks to have won it already. Corbyn gets Quite animated when interviewed. All BJ will be saying is lets get brexit done. I’ve been talking to people up and down the country and they all say the same.
One of the most boring campaigns I can recall with little substance, over the top promises.
Corbyn only seems to have come up with the WASPI offer following the question to BJ from one of their campaigners last week and that got brushed off as unaffordable, yet they were the party that withdrew the pension rights at short notice to those affected.
As for Jo Swinson I think she has lost a lot of ground. Seems unhappy that brexit has stood down in areas, yet they have done the same thing by making agreements with the Greens and Welsh Nationalists. Not speaking as an LD but do seriously believe Ed Davey would have been a far more credible leader than her.

That was a train wreck of an interview.

Dim, economically illiterate, petulant, indecisive, unwilling to defend our country, inarticulate, shifty. Not up to the job of running a parish council let alone being leader of HM opposition.

Remember when we had impressive men running the Labour Party like Kinnock and Smith. Remember when political set piece interviewers were polite and urbane. Those days are long gone.
Good old Neil. Really impressive with that stage managed King Canute rerun on Brighton Beach.

Back
Top Bottom