National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

"the rich man at his castle,
the poor man at his gate
God man them blah blah
and orders their estate"

That just proves that there have been rich & poor for centuries and there always will be.
It is down to mixture of parentage, fate, choices, luck, judgement etc etc................... in the same way (generally) nobody chooses to be on the streets nobody (generally) chooses to be "born rich" ........although that is a slightly smoother road to accept.

We are not all equal, that is a sad old fact of life, but we all end up the same way............................... dead. ?

I see the SNP and Labour are prattling on about Trump, Trump and the NHS. It's distracted nonsense because of the big assumption that anyone negotiating with Trump will immediately cave and Trump will be in office when a deal is negotiated.

It's ironic seeing as a senior NHS person asked for the NHS not to be weaponised.

Oh, and there is this one:

The sad thing is, I have some sympathy with people who say one bad thing and fall victim to cancel culture. However, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. It doesn't help Labour and the whole anti-semitism thang

Condescending crap.

But hey, just in case, let's all vote Labour and put Corbyn in No.10. That would really solve everything. Nationalise everything, tax all the rich bastards, drop the working week to 35 hours (or less?) raise the minimum wage, scrap the military, sack the royal family, build nothing but social housing, scrap the house of lords, etc. etc.
Eh? I said nothing about Corbyn, just about your unbelievably unwordly, forelock-tugging comment about what the tories wouldn’t do on purpose. Me “condescending” compared to that mob? Lol.

Thank God for small mercies ?

I'm no longer in employment so I don't have time to waste on this B*****s, have a lovely afternoon while my taxes are paying for you to post :unsure:

Meh, I`m a taxpayer too. Efficient at my job and can multi-task... ? ?

Have a lovely weekend, I avoid this B*****s at home!

Eh? I said nothing about Corbyn, just about your unbelievably unwordly, forelock-tugging comment about what the tories wouldn’t do on purpose. Me “condescending” compared to that mob? Lol.
So, in your world, it would come as no surprise then?

By the way: Condescending - having or showing an attitude of patronising superiority.
"unbelievably unwordly, forelock-tugging" That's not condescending? (I assume you meant to write worldly, by the way)

I see the SNP and Labour are prattling on about Trump, Trump and the NHS. It's distracted nonsense because of the big assumption that anyone negotiating with Trump will immediately cave and Trump will be in office when a deal is negotiated.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of immediately caving - but it is undoubtedly the fact that pharma, along with agriculture, are likely to be high priorities on the US side in any trade negotiations. If the purpose of the negotiations is to reduce barriers for US and UK companies to be operating in the others' markets - then the UK (as the smaller economy, and the one just exiting a free trade arrangement with its biggest trading partner) is not going to be able to call all the shots when it comes to which industries will be included.

But your second point is right - a US-UK trade deal would definitely not be completed by the end of 2020, and probably not by the end of 2024 (the one with South Korea, for example, took about six and a half years from the opening of negotiations until it came into effect).

So more likely to be being signed by President Winfrey in 2026!

Indeed. Wouldn't it be nice if one of his defenders would admit it?
Cognitive dissonance.

They’re all terrible in their own ways, which is why I don’t actively support any political party. Boris is a psychopath, Corbyn is a deluded extremist, nobody even knows what Swinson is beyond a single-issue opportunist, Sturgeon is a bigoted hypocrite - the whole damn lot of them are atrocious.

But it would be good to see people just admit the guy is a liar and a clown rather than blindly pledge support to him. It would make me believe that there is still such a thing in the world as some basic semblance of balance.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of immediately caving - but it is undoubtedly the fact that pharma, along with agriculture, are likely to be high priorities on the US side in any trade negotiations. If the purpose of the negotiations is to reduce barriers for US and UK companies to be operating in the others' markets - then the UK (as the smaller economy, and the one just exiting a free trade arrangement with its biggest trading partner) is not going to be able to call all the shots when it comes to which industries will be included.

But your second point is right - a US-UK trade deal would definitely not be completed by the end of 2020, and probably not by the end of 2024 (the one with South Korea, for example, took about six and a half years from the opening of negotiations until it came into effect).

So more likely to be being signed by President Winfrey in 2026!
If I recall correctly, the South Korea trade deal was done on the basis of no access to their healthcare system, so while of course the US would love us to pay more for our pharma because the NHS negotiates well, they do deals with other countries that don't contain it - and while they have leverage over us, it would just change the scope of the deal. It's not an automatic as is being implied.

The chat by Sturgeon and Corbyn is a white lie at best, and scaremongering at worst based on an extreme set of circumstances falling into place. Interestingly, there was a poll out recently where the Tories were trusted more on the NHS than Labour - safe to say no one thought that could happen, even I was surprised to see it.

And yeah, with Trump, no one knows what will happen, so another extreme circumstance pending change (or likely not)

Another day, another anti-Semitism brouhaha around the Labour party - this one, sounds like an uncorroborated mess/smear but the homophobia sounds more likely. After Gideon Bull and Jonathan Friedman being stitched up by a "Labour" source yesterday, both main parties have had a hard couple of days.

If I recall correctly, the South Korea trade deal was done on the basis of no access to their healthcare system, so while of course the US would love us to pay more for our pharma because the NHS negotiates well, they do deals with other countries that don't contain it - and while they have leverage over us, it would just change the scope of the deal. It's not an automatic as is being implied.

The chat by Sturgeon and Corbyn is a white lie at best, and scaremongering at worst based on an extreme set of circumstances falling into place. Interestingly, there was a poll out recently where the Tories were trusted more on the NHS than Labour - safe to say no one thought that could happen, even I was surprised to see it.

And yeah, with Trump, no one knows what will happen, so another extreme circumstance pending change (or likely not)

Delusional.

Back
Top Bottom