National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

I believe that's simply incorrect - my understanding is that UK student loans do not impact your credit history, or go on your credit report.
I think you're just quoting a commonly-held myth.

And yes a nurse doesn't earn a lot, and yes a nurse needs a degree. But that's why the student loan system is structured as it is, so that a nurse will not have to repay their student loan at all when he or she is in a junior position, and only a relatively small amount when they rise to more senior, more highly paid positions.

But on top of that - I wouldn't argue if you want to say that nursing training should be free to all. Because it's a vital and currently undervalued profession.
Thank you Tony for eloquently putting down pretty much my views on this subject in the last few posts.

Acknowledged - which is why a comparable system in the UK would likely have to have a difference balance of funding between federal government and university funds that it does here (where I think the balance is approximately 24% Federal : 76% Private)

But again, it's why if you are going to move away from the current system back to one where the UK taxpayer has a greater role in subsidizing higher education - at least means test those subsidies so they go to people that need it.

On your final point - if you have student debt, but you choose to go into a low-paid career, then your debt repayments will be zero. So why should that stop you choosing that career? It shouldn't affect taking out a mortgage either. It will affect the size of mortgage that is accessible to you if you're in a high-paying career, but that's just one of the factors you need to take into account when deciding to take a degree, and does not seem to me to be unreasonable.
The irony being that Labour are really proposing a tax cut for the middle classes, while the poorer won't get much of a benefit for the policy but will still struggle with the debt they incurred while at university if they get a better job.

Moving on...

I'm more of a fan of a tertiary system where courses like Humanities and Gender Studies are no longer available as they are almost pointless in the job market that the vast majority of us sit in (more focus on STEM, etc), and instead there is more focus on real/practical skills that will help the young get better jobs in the long term and help to fill the gaps in the economy. And importantly, we must identify ways of shortening courses and have vocational courses sitting alongside the apprenticeships that are in place - surely that helps students from poorer backgrounds more than being laden down with 3 years of a uni tax?

Degree education for all sounds great, but does the UK job market need another student with pass or 2:2 looking for a low paid job? Labour have the focus all wrong and are just draining money out of the public purse to be seen to be equal - life isn't equal - and filling the job market with over qualified and under skilled young people.

And ironically, they can't seem to answer the question about what to do with the students who have debt at the moment. It's not equality to say to 20 years of students, sod off, we can't help you. The magic money tree doesn't have that much money in it seems.

Rickets is back. Child mortality is increasing in Britain and you call that “ sob stories”

You’re either really unpleasant or really ignorant. I pity you for being so embittered, and so heartless
“They have a roof over their head...,”

Some of them do. Some of them live in cars. Some of them live on the street. Some of them live in one room.

Rickets - take a look at the causes, its far more complex than poverty.
Child/Infant mortality - it has gone from 3.9 per 1,000 to 4...... almost half what it was in 1990. https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/infant-and-neonatal-mortality

You really need to take your head out of the echo chamber of twatter and the like and look at the real world, not what people are spoon feeding you.

The great giveaway by the Tories and Labour continues. The magic money tree will need some serious plant food.
Jam tomorrow from the Tories...nothing until 2022 when it will have conveniently been forgotten about (if we actually get a government that can last that long)....same old crap

Rickets - take a look at the causes, its far more complex than poverty.
Child/Infant mortality - it has gone from 3.9 per 1,000 to 4...... almost half what it was in 1990. https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/infant-and-neonatal-mortality

You really need to take your head out of the echo chamber of twatter and the like and look at the real world, not what people are spoon feeding you.

You are really good at selecting data aren’t you?

Yes it’s improved since 1990.

And then it started to level off. And then to rise

From the link you posted
s. In England, the infant mortality rate remained at 3.9 deaths per 1,000 live births between 2013 and 2016, before increasing to 4.0 deaths per 1,000 live births in 2017

When this Conservative Government was in power

What was that about getting out of the echo chamber?

Take a look at yourself, mate.
Youre posting selective data or downright untruths about children dying to support this Tory Government.

Children die every day. Fact of life.
People die every day. Fact of life.
We will all die. Fact of life.

How you pin that on any Government is beyond me.
Children died under Labour, children died under the Conservatives.
If the number of children born increases then so will the number that die.

If you want to blame anyone blame Nature, over population and a deteriorating gene pool.

What's happened to you?

Children are dying because the Conservatives are cutting benefits, and you're blaming the gene pool and overpopulation.
Not only are you tring to deflect after being caught out in a lie, you are revealing to the world quite how unpleasant the party you support has become.

Last edited:
Rickets

One of the report’s authors, Dr Ronny Cheung, a paediatric consultant at the Evelina children’s hospital, London, says he is seeing a growing evidence of conditions not only exacerbated by poverty, but caused by it. “I’m seeing kids with rickets on a fairly regular basis in my clinic,” he says. “That is related to nutrition at the very least. We are seeing more advanced cases. It should be a Victorian illness. It shouldn’t be around to this degree any more

What's happened to you?

Children are dying because the Conservatives are cutting benefits, and you're blaming the gene pool and overpopulation.
Not only are you tring to deflect after being caught out in a lie, you are revealing to the world quite how unpleasant the party you support has become.

"The authors highlight the importance of sunlight to ensure that the body has enough vitamin D, but they also mention other risk factors for vitamin D deficiency, one of which is having dark skin. As the researchers point out, it is possible that the increase in cases of rickets reflects the changing ethnic mix in the UK. "

Oh, no mention of "Poverty or the Government"...............

What's happened to you?

Children die. They don`t ask if its because of "benefits", there aren`t starving kids dying on the streets like some Ethiopian famine!
I`m revealing nothing to "the world" its a backwater football forum ffs.

Children die when they are malnourished, when they don’t get access to decent medical care.

Something happened which meant more children in the UK started to die in 2017.

Your first claim was I was lying. Then you say it was nature .

A “backwater football forum” is still an opportunity to show your humanity- or reveal your lack of it.

Rickets is caused by lack of vitamin D.we make it in sunlight or we get it in food. If kifds don’t get enough food with vitamin D and not enough sunlight they get rickets.

vote for EssexYellows Conservative Party. Their slogan is: “children die”

"The authors highlight the importance of sunlight to ensure that the body has enough vitamin D, but they also mention other risk factors for vitamin D deficiency, one of which is having dark skin. As the researchers point out, it is possible that the increase in cases of rickets reflects the changing ethnic mix in the UK. "

@YellowTaxi .............. ^^^^^^^^ try reading that before you start frothing. ;) :rolleyes:

He’s at it again.

From his link

Rickets, a childhood disease that can affect developing bones, often occurs in children who are suffering from severe malnutrition in the early stages of their childhood.

So that’s two lies in a row.
You’ll be giving Boris Johnson a run for his money.

He’s at it again.

From his link

So that’s two lies in a row.
You’ll be giving Boris Johnson a run for his money.

And again..............

"As the researchers point out, it is possible that the increase in cases of rickets reflects the changing ethnic mix in the UK."................

Labour let them in to die of rickets?

Or will he blame the Conservatives?

This could run....

“ labour let them in to die of rickets...”

Listen mate you’ve already revealed that you are prepared to lie twice about child mortality and disease.

Don’t add your racism to the mix, what you’ve already posted is repellent enough.0

“ labour let them in to die of rickets...”

Listen mate you’ve already revealed that you are prepared to lie twice about child mortality and disease.

Don’t add your racism to the mix, what you’ve already posted is repellent enough.0
Couple of points, firstly I am not your "mate".
Secondly, you don`t understand how quoting from the article works do you?
The researcher said that the "the increase in cases of rickets reflects the changing ethnic mix in the UK. " not me.
Its one of those uncomfortable facts that frothing fools like you don`t like.

I live in the most diverse city in the UK where I am a minority, so your playing of the "racist" card is both untrue and pathetic.
What next Godwins Law?
Your default position of throwing insults sums you up very well, weak, deluded and unrealistic.

8 days to go........ ?

Back
Top Bottom