National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

The UK has the second lowest food bank use in the G7.
The rise in usage began under Labour & well before any welfare reforms.
The rise in usage is driven by increased referrals.

Ask yourself what happened to those people previously, they borrowed from family or went hungry!

We live in a society that throws away 30% of the food we produce................ call that "Green" ?

I sometimes despair that the population (let alone politicians) can`t see the link!!
The statistic for the second lowest in the G7 comes from an article on the conservative website. Which doesn’t list any sources for its data. I checked.

foodbank usage has increased exponentially under the conservatives. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-48037122
To suggest otherwise is bordering on the delusional.

As I said........... ask yourself what happened to these people BEFORE food banks existed!
The people still existed on low incomes scraping by on what they could, I have experience of that as a child.
Being born & living in Oxford didn`t mean it was all "wealth & light" there are plenty of poor folk as well.

Back on track, lots of info here relating to central government investing in the economy:

Basic economics are what BJ is promising, the reasoning behind "austerity" is that the Labour lot tipped the see saw to far and too fast..... and that is all it is. Now folk are "starting to hurt" the tap goes back on..... the whole cycle starts again.

Be old, be cycnical...... but vote & debate and enjoy the freedom to do so. :)

As I said........... ask yourself what happened to these people BEFORE food banks existed!
The people still existed on low incomes scraping by on what they could, I have experience of that as a child.
Being born & living in Oxford didn`t mean it was all "wealth & light" there are plenty of poor folk as well.

Back on track, lots of info here relating to central government investing in the economy:

Basic economics are what BJ is promising, the reasoning behind "austerity" is that the Labour lot tipped the see saw to far and too fast..... and that is all it is. Now folk are "starting to hurt" the tap goes back on..... the whole cycle starts again.

Be old, be cycnical...... but vote & debate and enjoy the freedom to do so. :)
I don’t quite know where to start! Are you suggesting that instead of helping poor people out, we ought to let families ‘take care of their own’? This isn’t about ‘scraping by’. This is about having to choose between feeding yourself and your kids, heating your home or paying the rent. ‘Scraping by’ is a misnomer, used to evoke the good old days, where thrift was a virtue and we all jolly well looked after each other. Those days ended in the 80’s. Remember why? What we are talking about now is POVERTY. Which more people experience because of deliberate conservative ideology.

Now then, ‘back on track’ as you say. Blaming Labour for the global financial crisis is laughably naive and only ever trotted out when the tories feel pressured. However in the spirit of dredging stuff up, shall we play ‘what did Sajid Javid do before he was a politician?

‘One former Deutsche Bank colleague expressed amazement to Euromoney at how Javid “is spinning his former career” as a sober investment banker as opposed to a structured credit trader at the heart of the business that precipitated the global financial crisis. Javid left Deutsche Bank in 2009, just as the full extent of the firm’s credit-related losses were becoming apparent.’

Full article: https://www.euromoney.com/article/b...ness-to-business-secretary?copyrightInfo=true

This is the point where I then pointlessly sneer, dig and berate you and move the topic on. Is that ok?

There is no need to make tertiary education free for all, it's not broken and the associated cost to the country is significant, especially alongside other projects Labour want to do too. Other than taking care of the student vote like last time because it's popular with that group (then Corbyn backed out), what is the point of it? The fact Corbyn dithered over writing off current student debt is ironic since he was very loose with other policies.

Similarly, the scale of privatisations, as I and others have discussed and linked to already, comes with significant cost to me and you, with little tangible benefit to doing it all so quickly and so hard. It's pure far left ideology and vanity, and regardless of what is going on in the world outside the UK. It makes a massive assumption about the bond markets that I'm sure you will agree are incredibly naive.

Did you benefit from a free University education Gazza?

a bit of lighthearted 'separated at birth' type comparisons with key party leaders :sneaky:

79027177_10218783671836805_6728253632837320704_n.jpg

Sure thing! Is it ok if I relentlessly point out the inaccuracies in your arguments, label you as self centred and then finally call you a racist or something? ??

The point of making higher education available to all is one of equality. https://www.ucas.com/file/197261/download?token=yGrM_eUZ
Note the difference in Scotland...

as far as privatisation is concerned, I was thinking about this earlier. Can you name me one major British example of privatisation where outcomes for the customer were demonstrably cheaper and better. I couldn’t think of one, but that’s not to say one doesn't exist.
Whatever fits for you lefties.

Here is the breakdown of Labour's spending - full of fibs and fudges (this was posted earlier in the thread):
Some of it is not costed in the manifesto:

They also break their manifesto fiscal rules by doing it:

And this is not accurate:

Other lies are here - Essex Yellows has explained this in detail, as I have too:

Big steaming pile of poo

Trump has explained, as other have on here, the NHS is not for sale today. Still Labour lie and scaremonger about this

The top 5% will pay more tax is also a lie:

I see Labour are trying to pivot to enshrining the NHS not for sale into law, but that would break EU rules if they want us to stay in - we still don't what they think about that do we?

Higher education equality is nice, but do we really need it? What is the point of everyone having a degree and a higher education? Does the state really need that as a giveaway and can our universities afford it. Where does it stop? Who will pay for mature students to study? Will this increase the burden on the top 5%?

As for privatisation, without a comparative analysis of what it would be like if it had not happened, we don't know. Do you have that analysis to hand? Have you completed that work?

Last edited:
‘Higher education equality is nice, but do we really need it? What is the point of everyone having a degree and a higher education? Does the state really need that as a giveaway and can our universities afford it. Where does it stop? Who will pay for mature students to study? Will this increase the burden on the top 5%?’

Do we need it? Well, given that a degree is quite usually glass ceiling on many jobs I would say yes. If you can provide a rationale for abolishing it please do so.

‘As for privatisation, without a comparative analysis of what it would be like if it had not happened, we don't know. Do you have that analysis to hand? Have you completed that work?’

I didn’t ask you for a comparative analysis. I asked if you could think of a privatised company that has improved the quality and affordability of its service. I’m guessing that you can’t.

15 billion pounds worth of NHS contracts have already been handed out by this government. Anyone who thinks that the NHS will be sold off in one go is mistaken. As is anyone who believes Trump. Or quotes the Sun as a basis for their argument ?

I don’t quite know where to start! Are you suggesting that instead of helping poor people out, we ought to let families ‘take care of their own’? This isn’t about ‘scraping by’. This is about having to choose between feeding yourself and your kids, heating your home or paying the rent. ‘Scraping by’ is a misnomer, used to evoke the good old days, where thrift was a virtue and we all jolly well looked after each other. Those days ended in the 80’s. Remember why? What we are talking about now is POVERTY. Which more people experience because of deliberate conservative ideology.

Now then, ‘back on track’ as you say. Blaming Labour for the global financial crisis is laughably naive and only ever trotted out when the tories feel pressured. However in the spirit of dredging stuff up, shall we play ‘what did Sajid Javid do before he was a politician?

‘One former Deutsche Bank colleague expressed amazement to Euromoney at how Javid “is spinning his former career” as a sober investment banker as opposed to a structured credit trader at the heart of the business that precipitated the global financial crisis. Javid left Deutsche Bank in 2009, just as the full extent of the firm’s credit-related losses were becoming apparent.’

Full article: https://www.euromoney.com/article/b...ness-to-business-secretary?copyrightInfo=true

"Global financial crisis" is, in itself, laughable. An economy based on credit & the selling of numbers will always hit the rails sooner or later.
It is the consumerist desire for "stuff" that pushes people into debt & poverty, they go hand in hand.
We have a far higher standard of living than in the 1980`s, and that is irrespective of where you sit on the social ladder.

15 billion pounds worth of NHS contracts have already been handed out by this government. Anyone who thinks that the NHS will be sold off in one go is mistaken. As is anyone who believes Trump. Or quotes the Sun as a basis for their argument ?

All those contracts have been "handed out" under OJEU regs................... just for your information. ;)

"Global financial crisis" is, in itself, laughable. An economy based on credit & the selling of numbers will always hit the rails sooner or later.
It is the consumerist desire for "stuff" that pushes people into debt & poverty, they go hand in hand.
We have a far higher standard of living than in the 1980`s, and that is irrespective of where you sit on the social ladder.

There are 135000 children who will be homeless this Christmas

There are over 4 million children in poverty in the UK. Ranked by total wealth, the UK is the fifth richest country in the world.
You are either a fool or a liar.

Back
Top Bottom